Evo X factory blow off valve

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Evo X factory blow off valve

Postby JaCe » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:09 pm

I was doing some Wiki reading and came across: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blowoff_valve

Based on this, is the Evo X factory BOV actually just a compressor bypass valve? i.e. the sound of fluttering is just coming through the intake.

These are some pictures taken from my Injen thread:
Image Image Image Image Image

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

billy boy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billy boy » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:27 am

so lesson learnt - if a cop asks you 'do you have a blow off valve?' then the answer is 'no, i have a bypass valve' ;)

your engine bay is looking great though!
we are fascinated by that which can destroy us...

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Thanks for the tip :) Wonder if they'd notice that small pod filter though...

WillF
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby WillF » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:47 pm

I used to own a 300zx tt and was led to believe the following?? am i right or mind blowingly deluded?

I thought turbo'd cars came with "re-circulative valves" from the factory as valves that vent gasses into the atmosphere are illegal ( not the fact they make noise) so my question is, is a re-circ vale the same as a bypass valve

basically a re-circ puts gasses back in to the turbo thus slowing the spooling of the turbo.

where as a dump valve or blow off valve or what ever you want to call them vent the gasses out of the system thus not affecting the spooling of the turbo thus supposing better performance.?

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:40 pm

What you describe sounds a lot like what I have in my Evo (i.e. the bypass valve)

WASABI
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby WASABI » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:30 pm

A by-pass valve is a Blow Off Valve that is plumbed back from what I understand.

By-pass valve is technically the correct terminology, but (In most tuner circles - at least the ones I'm part off) they are still BOVs that are plumbed back.

There is so much different terminology that is getting around is does get very confusing. Some other terms I've heard of is "pop off valve" or "diverter valve" - I believe the diverter valve terminology is commonly used for European cars.

As always, I don't claim to be 100% correct so happy to be corrected :)

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:25 pm

I suppose there's probably just a bit of stigma regarding the name 'blow off valve' (i.e. hoons) so they may try to avoid that.

McCoy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby McCoy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:12 am

WASABI wrote:A by-pass valve is a Blow Off Valve that is plumbed back from what I understand.

By-pass valve is technically the correct terminology, but (In most tuner circles - at least the ones I'm part off) they are still BOVs that are plumbed back.

There is so much different terminology that is getting around is does get very confusing. Some other terms I've heard of is "pop off valve" or "diverter valve" - I believe the diverter valve terminology is commonly used for European cars.

Waste gate would be another term. Just google some old footage of the Ford Sierra's at Bathurst, they had a fantastic soundtrack of the engine, exhaust and waste gate dumping.

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:39 pm

JaCe wrote:Thanks for the tip :) Wonder if they'd notice that small pod filter though...

I'd say it's safe to say if they pop your bonnet its a $84 fine and/or a defect notice on the car...

WASABI
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby WASABI » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:16 am

McCoy wrote:
WASABI wrote:A by-pass valve is a Blow Off Valve that is plumbed back from what I understand.

Waste gate would be another term. Just google some old footage of the Ford Sierra's at Bathurst, they had a fantastic soundtrack of the engine, exhaust and waste gate dumping.

Was down at Bathurst the other week & saw the old B&H Sierra Cosworth race car... Still such a beautiful thing :)

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:21 am

McCoy wrote:

isn't a wastegate used for when you have 2 turbos, so when the littleer turbo get to its limit, the wastegate opens so you dont blow it up when the larger turbo takes over?

McCoy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby McCoy » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:27 pm

No, not necessarily but that is one application.
Dyno's

An invaluable tuning tool when used correctly
An invaluable sales tool when used incorrectly

Return to “Evolution X Performance”