***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Is it possible? Mesh air vents on the hood- FQ400 style?

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Is it possible? Mesh air vents on the hood- FQ400 style?

Postby JaCe » Sat May 29, 2010 10:37 am

I was looking at FQ400 reviews and noticed this:

Do you guys reckon this would be possible or easy to live with on a normal DD Evo X or RA? I remember it was pretty easy to remove the factory bonnet vents and then we could replace with mesh... but then I wonder if there are any implications of letting water into the engine bay with this.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Peanut
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Peanut » Sat May 29, 2010 10:44 am

Shouldnt be to bad, the most you would have to worry about is water getting into the passngers side vent cause you have that injen short ram, and maybe the rear one if water hits the heat sheilding over the turbo could freak you out
Look Out! in The Shire!!
The Can Crusher, Tuckin' Rubber, Pancake Flat. - CCJ Premium Member #0022

bobcrusader wrote:
Blake, you must be a member of the fun police? Do you know my wife?

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat May 29, 2010 10:46 am

Peanut wrote:Shouldnt be to bad, the most you would have to worry about is water getting into the passngers side vent cause you have that injen short ram, and maybe the rear one if water hits the heat sheilding over the turbo could freak you out

That's enough to steer me away from this idea :)

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Sat May 29, 2010 11:04 am

i would of thought if the FQ400 can work fine with it so can any other evo.

the 2 front vents i would thing are aerodynamic enough to make the water from rain to go over the vents when driving and there would only be a little amount go in anyway when your stopped.

and what so bad if water hits the heat shield of the turbo? its a thin piece of ally, and i doubt much will get in anyway no more then what can get in on the normal evo bonnet
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

Peanut
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Peanut » Sat May 29, 2010 11:10 am

Blakey wrote:i would of thought if the FQ400 can work fine with it so can any other evo.

the 2 front vents i would thing are aerodynamic enough to make the water from rain to go over the vents when driving and there would only be a little amount go in anyway when your stopped.

and what so bad if water hits the heat shield of the turbo? its a thin piece of ally, and i doubt much will get in anyway no more then what can get in on the normal evo bonnet

Yeah i thought same thing with the Injen CAI for our cars started sucking up water in heavy rain, you should know what happens when water hits something that is 600 Degrees Celsius plus mate rapid cooling causes crack.
Look Out! in The Shire!!

The Can Crusher, Tuckin' Rubber, Pancake Flat. - CCJ Premium Member #0022

bobcrusader wrote:

Blake, you must be a member of the fun police? Do you know my wife?

Leez
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Leez » Sat May 29, 2010 5:16 pm

How come it is ok with the FQ400? I would've thought a heavy downpour would destroy the engine...?

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Sat May 29, 2010 5:31 pm

but the normal scoop on the EVO and RA direcs airflow towards the back for the exhaust so that will direct water there too, so what would the diffrence be. and why dont you see it happen on exhausts frome when you drive in the rain?

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat May 29, 2010 6:24 pm

bd-850 wrote:but the normal scoop on the EVO and RA direcs airflow towards the back for the exhaust so that will direct water there too, so what would the diffrence be. and why dont you see it happen on exhausts frome when you drive in the rain?

Keep in mind the factory scoop has a PUNY hole... it amazes me that any air gets in there at all to cool the turbo.

PYLee
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby PYLee » Sat May 29, 2010 6:31 pm

theres some sort of cover over the stock evo x turbo so i reckon the water that flows in thru those intake scoop will be fine

something aftermarket for the turbo cover

Lancer Evolution 10MR

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat May 29, 2010 6:56 pm

I think Ryan (JustJDM) sells an HKS turbo cover of some sort but it might be different in concept to what you're posting.

ps. Why cover the turbo? Doesn't that just block the air cooling it?

arutha
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby arutha » Sat May 29, 2010 9:44 pm

the monster racing cover is designed to acctually assist with cooling althought it doesn't look like it. also note that it is made from titanium not SS.

the fq 400 doesn't have to worry about letting water into the engine because it uses the standard airbox

as for removing the vents i've had mine off for 8 months now and had water pour in without any problems but then again im using a fully enclosed airbox still. personally i'd be more inclined to worry about puddles splashing up onto your CAI than water from above. also i have noticed a drop in engine temp since removing the tin plates on the bottom of the vents.

hope some of that helps
Born at JustJDM's 'ninjaworks' facility,
Honed into a weapon by Mercury Motorsport

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Sat May 29, 2010 9:53 pm

I dont have an Evo or Ralliart but my vents in the bonnet are fully open, I removed the cover that was under them. The covers that are over the vents defeat the purpose of having them in the first place. Ive had no problems at all but engine cover will get dirty. With mine, the way the engine cover is made it slopes down towards the front of the engine bay so any water that does come through will drop down over the front of the engine.

arutha
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby arutha » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:35 am

so just to bring up an old topic. i had a look into replacing the vents with a grill similar to the fq400 today. slight problem. you can't just put the mesh on because the bonnet is made up of two seperate pieces of alluminium. so if you were to install a piece of mesh its going to leave a nasty hole. i'll upload a picture later so you can all see what im talking about

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:29 pm

arutha wrote:so just to bring up an old topic. i had a look into replacing the vents with a grill similar to the fq400 today. slight problem. you can't just put the mesh on because the bonnet is made up of two seperate pieces of alluminium. so if you were to install a piece of mesh its going to leave a nasty hole. i'll upload a picture later so you can all see what im talking about

You sure you can't just bolt it in using the existing holes for the factory vents?

arutha
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby arutha » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:41 pm

sure you could but then you'd have a gapping hole. as soon as i find a new image host i'll upload a pic to show you

Return to “Evolution X Performance”