Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

MrMuppet
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Flat Spot in EVO X ???

Postby MrMuppet » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:11 pm

hey guy's and gals
quick q about the MR

sister in law's mr has a dead spot when you put the foot down on the accelerator, to the point where they wait for a bigger gap in traffic then i need to in the vr from a corner!?!?!

any help would be great, hopefully will have the MR at the Jan 3 meet in Mt Gravatt also

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Re: Flat Spot in EVO X ???

Postby JaCe » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:18 pm

Kimerik wrote:hey guy's and gals
quick q about the MR

sister in law's mr has a dead spot when you put the foot down on the accelerator, to the point where they wait for a bigger gap in traffic then i need to in the vr from a corner!?!?!

any help would be great, hopefully will have the MR at the Jan 3 meet in Mt Gravatt also

It's the throttle lag and delay in the transmission's NORMAL mode- annoys the heck out of me. If you have the car in SPORT or S-SPORT mode then this isn't an issue. I installed a 3Drive (throttle controller) to overcome this actually because I don't like using Sport/Super Sport mode too often unnecessarily.

On another note though, you do learn to adjust and live with it. It isn't too bad.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

MrMuppet
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby MrMuppet » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:21 pm

thanx Jace will pass the msg on to them, would bother me alot, as i like to feel it when needed (slight lead foot, the VR goes well :) ) but, like you say could get used to it
My CJ is the best. "Why??" It has 3 DVD Players :)

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:32 pm

I don't think it's ever been a real issue for me once I got used to the car. I mean it will still go forward but there is a bit of throttle lag and then there is also turbo lag. That's why some people prefer to use the more sensitive transmission settings in traffic. Ask your pal to test drive one and see for themselves.

WASABI
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby WASABI » Thu May 13, 2010 11:18 am

What you describing is very typical when automatic turbo cars... Doesn't matter if you have a Mitsubishi, Porsche, VW etc etc etc, they all act in the same fashion.

My father & I always used to count to 3 before anything really started to happen in all the turbo auto cars we've owed.

The different mods (As Jeff as suggested) do get past this, but a throttle controller or even a tune will be the most effective way to limit that "lag".

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Thu May 13, 2010 1:09 pm

S Sport also helps a bit :)

billy boy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billy boy » Thu May 13, 2010 2:19 pm

WASABI wrote:What you describing is very typical when automatic turbo cars... Doesn't matter if you have a Mitsubishi, Porsche, VW etc etc etc, they all act in the same fashion.

My father & I always used to count to 3 before anything really started to happen in all the turbo auto cars we've owed.

The different mods (As Jeff as suggested) do get past this, but a throttle controller or even a tune will be the most effective way to limit that "lag".

not all ;) my jzx100 was brilliant off the line (well, unless you left tc on and then you might as well go to sleep) but it did help have max torque at 2800

on my RA it is pretty annoying, i've had my tuned which has minimised the amount of throttle lag, but it could be better...
we are fascinated by that which can destroy us...

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu May 13, 2010 2:33 pm

I am not an expert, but I believe that it is to do with the electronic throttle.

I have been in an evoX with a throttle controller and the difference is amazing :)

WASABI
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby WASABI » Thu May 13, 2010 5:34 pm

LZY_EYE wrote:I am not an expert, but I believe that it is to do with the electronic throttle.

I have been in an evoX with a throttle controller and the difference is amazing :)

The fly-by wire throttle doesn't help things at all.

Aspired
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Aspired » Thu May 13, 2010 7:19 pm

Its not really throttle lag, Isn't it just Turbo lag you guys are talking about ?

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu May 13, 2010 7:31 pm

By the sounds of it it's actually the SST lag.

Say you are rolling along, SST in 3rd gear. The SST would have 4th pre-selected ready to go. You plant your foot, SST goes "oh sh!t I need to down change!!", it makes the change in the other gear set, then swaps the clutches thus engaging the gear. That whole process can take half a second to a second depending on circumstances.

A similar thing happens in a regular automatic transmission, only it's faster to do it as it's just engaging and disengaging hydraulic valves,

WASABI
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby WASABI » Fri May 14, 2010 9:57 am

Aspired wrote:Its not really throttle lag, Isn't it just Turbo lag you guys are talking about ?

You could say it's a little of both... Having that little bit of turbo lag probably exacerbate the situation (As I have mentioned, I've experienced this in all turbo cars I have owned / driven) however, the fly by wire throttle does not help.

In fact, all the auto cars (Both Japanese & Euro) I have driven with fly by wire seem to suffer from the same problem.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Fri May 14, 2010 11:18 am

The throttle controller and S Sport do eliminate a lot of the problem from what I can tell.

Frazza
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Frazza » Fri May 14, 2010 3:10 pm

I don't think you are putting your foot down enough, i don't have this problem :)
MY10 Golf R | 5 Door | Rising Blue Metallic | DSG | MDI | Black 19" Talladega | Motorsport Seats | Bluetooth | Sunroof | RNS510 + DYNAUDIO 300W

shamrockshirts
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby shamrockshirts » Fri May 14, 2010 4:04 pm

WASABI wrote:What you describing is very typical when automatic turbo cars...

Remember the SST isn't an automatic...

Return to “Evolution X Performance”