Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

XI
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

E85 Conversions

Postby XI » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:02 pm

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if anyone has done an E85 conversion to their Evo X down in Melbourne. I am looking around for people's experiences with the performance and driveability of the car after the conversion.

I would also be very grateful if you could also point me in the right direction to where you go the conversion done.

Thanks in advance guys

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:20 pm

Adam can fill u in, he`s in melbourne and has done plenty :)

http://BeebleTune.com
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:42 am

Buy some fuel cans to start with. Did a cruise with the Newcastle Evo boys a while back,some were using E85 and they only drive where they know ther can buy or drive around with 2x20l jerry cans in the boot. Sounds more trouble than it's worth to be honest.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:28 pm

e85 aint worth the hassles, yeh u get more power, u need to spend money on fuel set up to cope with e85, your looking at pump, injectors, fuel rail, fuel pressure reg, fuel lines, e85 compatible fuel seals, e85 electronic fuel meter, high flow exhaust (or at least a hi flow cat), change oil, plus the tune, plus drain out all the old 98 fuel and fill up e85 and prime the system....you do all that for x amount of power depending on mods...

but then reliability starts to come into factor..the cold starts, o2 sesnors, spark plugs, plus replacing the fuel seals every year to stay on the safe side, and finding a servo that stock 85....E85 is very Hydroscopic (absorbs moisture very quick), plus in evos its gona chew your petrol quick....

and 1 bad batch of e85 your engine will go BOOOM!!!! i have seen it happen many times

your better off spending the money on a bov, 18psi acutator, fuel pump, 3 port and tune by beeble.....you will be smiling....if you already got that then start doing bolt ons and tune

jordan.fuchs
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby jordan.fuchs » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:19 pm

scott_drake wrote:and 1 bad batch of e85 your engine will go BOOOM!!!! i have seen it happen many times

Did it happen to a mate of yours?

Kav91
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kav91 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:27 pm

scott_drake wrote: your better off spending the money on a bov, 18psi acutator, fuel pump, 3 port and tune by beeble.....you will be smiling....if you already got that then start doing bolt ons and tune

First off LOL
Second
I have all the bolt ons and a tune from beeble with 233.2kw atw
Third
Beeble himself recommended to me, that I only need a fuel pump and injectors to run E85 in my X
None of all that extra rubbish you have typed
Fourth
Beeble knows what his talking about, and would never make a bad recommendation to anyone, and risk his reputation
Fifth
You are talking out of your ass
Last edited by Kav91 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jordan.fuchs
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby jordan.fuchs » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Kav91 wrote: Fifth You are talking out of your ass

Quoting for emphasis.

denzza
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby denzza » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:54 pm

This topic is a tough one...

There has been many cars that have done this that, blown or not.

But from my research and personal experience.

Im only saying this because i want to help.

1. E85. AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! POWER AND TORQUE , you cant compare to 98 not matter what you got.

2. Yes, it uses upto 30% more fuel. Depending how big youre tank is.
Mines since its a NA lancer fuel tank with the evo x setup. It does about 350kms a tank. And thats not bad for the amount of fun. Thats around 60$ for a full tank. Since its around $1.24 a litre.
And yeah.... depending what state youre in, JERRY CAN IS YOURE BEST FRIEND! or should i say, jerry cans :p

3. Lots of people dont go to E85 is because its hard to get and its not close.
For VIC guys, its like every 2nd petrol station :)

4. Fuel system does need to me upgraded for sure, depending how much power youre going since E85 is injected more. Because it can take the heat better than 98.

Fuel pump, WALBRO 255 i think is ok. With 700-1000cc injectors. to be safe and thats pretty much it. Fuel rail and reg doesnt need to be upgraded because youre not going for 400kws !

My current setup is actually surprising. Because not many people know. Did research and research and ADAM aka beeble can confirm that the EVO X stock pump and injectors works fine on E85 :) But again, im only on 11psi. So its all depending on the power youre going for.

5. Fuel lines and so that people say needs to be changed... mmmm no haha

I was very skeptical like most of you guys, But i spoke to alot of EVO owners. and happy to say. they have been running it for 4-6 years no problem. Beeble can confirm too :) His beast on jungle juice too.
To be safe, upgrade the fuel filter for e85. Which is like 17$ bucks. Made more better then the standard one.

6. Now the fun part :)
Since EVOS are amazing and a guy called Tephra has made cool things for our cars !
and Beeble has worked with this new version.

For you guys that dont know. Its called the Tephra V2

Check out more details..

http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ecufla ... od-v2.html

Now, you can have 10 different MAPS.... Yep, 10 different tunes on youre ECU. So what i got Beeble to do is make e85 maps and 98 maps. So even if you cant find UNITED anywhere , just use up more of the fuel and go to BP, SHELL, etc and change the tune with your finger :) BOOM! no issues.

Also comes with Launch control and no lift shift. Youre engine like flashes when the engine has knocks, so you can back off the throttle before its too late.

7. Thats all fun and all. But in my experience . I would use E85 for track days and what ever your fun days are.

For daily, E85 is a tad annoyying. Runs funny sometimes , nothing too crazy but it just hunts for a second and goes normal. E85 life, but other then that, E85 has more ADVANTAGES then NEGATIVES.

8. the smell, heheh amazing :)
AUSTRALIA'S FIRST 4B11T ENGINE SWAP ON E85
FULL EVO X TURBO SETUP
APEXI ARC DESIGN INTAKE | RA BRAKE SETUP | APEXI N1 EVO -R 3" CAT BACK | UR CAT |
TUNED BY BEEBLE | EXEDY H/D CLUTCH
BC RACING BR COILOVERS

gange
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby gange » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:14 pm

Kav91 wrote:[quote:29a194f6a2=scott_drake] your better off spending the money on a bov, 18psi acutator, fuel pump, 3 port and tune by beeble.....you will be smiling....if you already got that then start doing bolt ons and tune[/quote:29a194f6a2] First off LOL Second I have all the bolt ons and a tune from beeble with 233.2kw atw Third Beeble himself recommended to me, that I only need a fuel pump and injectors to run E85 in my X None of all that extra rubbish you have typed Fourth Beeble knows what his talking about, and would never make a bad recommendation to anyone, and risk his reputation Fifth You are talking out of your ass

x 1 see adam and get a duel map, you won't regret it :D

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:19 pm

I have all the bolt ons and a tune from beeble with 233.2kw atw

thats not e85 though is it kav?
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1

http://goo.gl/GrUosm

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:33 pm

jordan.fuchs wrote:[quote:587f1c1bf7=scott_drake]and 1 bad batch of e85 your engine will go BOOOM!!!! i have seen it happen many times[/quote:587f1c1bf7] Did it happen to a mate of yours?

yep 4 of them (2 evo, 1 gtr, 1 sti), plus a random dude who pulled out the servo gave it a dose and BOOOM (r34 gtr)....ive seen 2 of the new comodores at the dearlship with fkd engines from e85/98 mix...

your a hack jordan!

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:43 pm

Kav91 wrote:[quote:29a194f6a2=scott_drake] your better off spending the money on a bov, 18psi acutator, fuel pump, 3 port and tune by beeble.....you will be smiling....if you already got that then start doing bolt ons and tune[/quote:29a194f6a2] First off LOL Second I have all the bolt ons and a tune from beeble with 233.2kw atw Third Beeble himself recommended to me, that I only need a fuel pump and injectors to run E85 in my X None of all that extra rubbish you have typed Fourth Beeble knows what his talking about, and would never make a bad recommendation to anyone, and risk his reputation Fifth You are talking out of your ass

Kav91 wrote:[quote:29a194f6a2=scott_drake]t [/quote:29a194f6a2] First off LOL Second I have all the bolt ons and a tune from beeble with 233.2kw atw Third Beeble himself recommended to me, that I only need a fuel pump and injectors to run E85 in my X None of all that extra rubbish you have typed Fourth Beeble knows what his talking about, and would never make a bad recommendation to anyone, and risk his reputation Fifth You are talking out of your ass

yeh beeble tuned me with a exhaust and intake, hks evc and we cracked about 250KW atw with about 450nm atw.....im happy with hes work....well if adam says u need pump and injectors cool..he knows more about these beasts then i do...but every person i know who done e85 has spent the extra money doing it right and using supporting mods.if your taking out your injectors why the hell would you not want to upgrade your rails etc...if later down the track your going to be chasing more power???

and asnwer me 1 question, if you where do run e85 why would you not spend an extra $100-$150 on a e85 monitor? how is a e85 moniter rubbish??? and how am i talking out of my arse.? please proof to me im talking out my ass

Kav91
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Kav91 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:51 am

sleeper wrote: thats not e85 though is it kav?

Hey gramps! yep thats just on normal 98 :)

scott_drake wrote:please proof to me im talking out my ass

Ok i will "proof" to you that you are

1. you have told the OP it is not worth his hassles
--That is his choice, and he would like to find out HOW to go about it

scott_drake wrote:1 bad batch of e85 your engine will go BOOOM!!!! i have seen it happen many time
scott_drake wrote: yep 4 of them (2 evo, 1 gtr, 1 sti), plus a random dude who pulled out the servo gave it a dose and BOOOM (r34 gtr)....ive seen 2 of the new comodores at the dearlship with fkd engines from e85/98 mix..

2. You are telling the OP if he runs E85 his engine will go boom from one potential bad batch
--However from your exp. you mention different cars, and we are unaware of those particular cars, and their setup and modifications anything could have lead to those problems

3. you have told the OP that he needs to do a variety of things to run E85

scott_drake wrote:your looking at pump, injectors, fuel rail, fuel pressure reg, fuel lines, e85 compatible fuel seals, e85 electronic fuel meter, high flow exhaust (or at least a hi flow cat), change oil, plus the tune, plus drain out all the old 98 fuel and fill up e85 and prime the system....you do all that for x amount of power depending on mods... but then reliability starts to come into factor..the cold starts, o2 sesnors, spark plugs, plus replacing the fuel seals every year

--Which is not the case at all
--You need those when you go bigger turbo, and require a bigger or dual pumps, then need to do all the fueling upgrades, but he would have a tuner or shop helping him already if he did have that setup, so he clearly doesn't have those upgrades on his car currently

scott_drake wrote:and asnwer me 1 question, if you where do run e85 why would you not spend an extra $100-$150 on a e85 monitor? how is a e85 moniter rubbish???

--What I just said previously with you telling the OP he needs so many things which isn't the case, and this ridiculous comment of yours, is why I am saying you are talking out of your ass and rubbish, I am not talking singularly about one device, but you fail to realize that, but I am saying that to your comments to the OP as a whole

Also an E85 monitor as you call it, is actually called an Ethanol Content Analyzer and is not $100-150 , you need the sensor as well as the display which can be $450+- upwards

Beeble
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Beeble » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:10 am

OK I'll chime in :)

for stock turbo Evo 10s ... this is my recipe. and I've done it oh about 40-50 times on local cars now i think. and about the same number in the USA that i have tuned remotely. It works and works well.

1 - DW65C fuel pump. plug and play. about $170.
2- FIC1100 or ID1000 injctors. about $560 with plug and play adapters.
3 - optional but recommended - fuel filter upgrade - about $20

I personally don't change out regs, fuel lines but lots of people do. Evo 10/Ralliart fuel lines in cars running the stuff for 5+ years now all seem to be fine. Som eearlier model cars then yes i think changing them is a good idea as the hoses perish over time.

We are luck in VIC because E85 stations are popping up all over the place. With dual mapping even on a country drive you can just fill up with 98 when the tank is nearly empty and you are good to go.
Modding or Tuning questions for your Lancer, RA or EVO? drop me a line!
http://BeebleTune.com

Return to “Evolution X Performance”