***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Fuel economy when you drive in the city/short distances...

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:05 pm

chris: Our Lancers offer the choice of IMP or US gallons in the computer, and considering Vmo91 is in the USA It'd be safe to say he's got it set to default setting for US Lancers which is US Gallons.

--
Some pretty good fuel figurees, especially considering the performance. I guess you're not getting both at the same time though HAHA

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:51 pm

7.2L/100km today in city traffic, mostly 70/80kph zones though. Oh and mum was driving, only time i get that low is long distance on a freeway :lol:

whitlam
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby whitlam » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:53 am

SIR-VRX wrote:chris: Our Lancers offer the choice of IMP or US gallons in the computer, and considering Vmo91 is in the USA It'd be safe to say he's got it set to default setting for US Lancers which is US Gallons.

--
Some pretty good fuel figurees, especially considering the performance. I guess you're not getting both at the same time though HAHA

Thats why I assumed they were US gallons seeing as he is in the US

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:06 pm

whitlam wrote:
SIR-VRX wrote:chris: Our Lancers offer the choice of IMP or US gallons in the computer, and considering Vmo91 is in the USA It'd be safe to say he's got it set to default setting for US Lancers which is US Gallons.

--

Thats why I assumed they were US gallons seeing as he is in the US

Yeah you had it right :wink:

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:44 pm

The thing is even when I try my best to press very lightly on the accelerator, it jumps to max on the 20L/100km scale instantaneously and doesn't let off even if I reduce my pressure on the pedal.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:07 pm

JaCe wrote:The thing is even when I try my best to press very lightly on the accelerator, it jumps to max on the 20L/100km scale instantaneously and doesn't let off even if I reduce my pressure on the pedal.

Probably due to a low average speed.

L/100km is not only variable by throttle input, but by speed. The vehicle calculates the fuel consumption based on current fuel usage, average speed, and time.

If you use 5% throttle, stay below 3000rpm but go 50kmh, your instantanious L/100 would be high as the car would see that at 30kph it would take a long period of time to cover the 100kms distance. (for example it would take 2 hours, and the fuel burnt would be 20L)

Now, if you used 5% throttle again, stayed below 3000rpm again but did 100kmh, the instantanious L/100 would be a lot less, as the fuel usage would be the same, but the speed higher, therefore covering the same 100kms distance, in half the time, therefore half the fuel. (example this time it would take 1 hour (half the time) and with all other variables the same the fuel usage would be half at 10L)

That figure of fuel usage being halved of course would be in an ideal world, where the load on the engine is the same at 30kph and 60kph. But it is not, so the figures would be different, but still considerably less.

I hope that helps you understand it a bit more :)

--

If you are so concerned about fuel efficiency, maybe an Evo wasn't the best choice :P

chris
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby chris » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:09 pm

Sorry chaps I didn`t realise VMO91 was from the US of A LOL
2009 ralliart

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:48 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:
JaCe wrote:The thing is even when I try my best to press very lightly on the accelerator, it jumps to max on the 20L/100km scale instantaneously and doesn't let off even if I reduce my pressure on the pedal.

Probably due to a low average speed.

L/100km is not only variable by throttle input, but by speed. The vehicle calculates the fuel consumption based on current fuel usage, average speed, and time.

If you use 5% throttle, stay below 3000rpm but go 50kmh, your instantanious L/100 would be high as the car would see that at 30kph it would take a long period of time to cover the 100kms distance. (for example it would take 2 hours, and the fuel burnt would be 20L)

Now, if you used 5% throttle again, stayed below 3000rpm again but did 100kmh, the instantanious L/100 would be a lot less, as the fuel usage would be the same, but the speed higher, therefore covering the same 100kms distance, in half the time, therefore half the fuel. (example this time it would take 1 hour (half the time) and with all other variables the same the fuel usage would be half at 10L)

That figure of fuel usage being halved of course would be in an ideal world, where the load on the engine is the same at 30kph and 60kph. But it is not, so the figures would be different, but still considerably less.

I hope that helps you understand it a bit more :)

Thanks for that. I did consider the point about the vehicle speed before as well when I was sitting in traffic :) I was more interested in trying to figure out in the long term am I better off taking a much longer but smoother route than sitting in traffic in terms of fuel efficiency.

I think I mentioned this before (either here or on EvoOz) that I found the difference between spirited driving and driving light-footed has a very small impact on petrol consumption. If anything, the Evo appears to be more fuel efficient when overtaking or driving hard than when stumbling around in traffic.

If you are so concerned about fuel efficiency, maybe an Evo wasn't the best choice :P

LOL that's why I kept my Civic for daily driver duties but sometimes the Evo is just too hard to resist.

Trent
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Trent » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:45 pm

ive got mine to 98 litres per 100 before by reversing out of my driveway

arutha
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby arutha » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:43 pm

Trent wrote:ive got mine to 98 litres per 100 before by reversing out of my driveway

lol that's pretty good. i'd love to have seen a pic of it
Born at JustJDM's 'ninjaworks' facility,
Honed into a weapon by Mercury Motorsport

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:08 pm

arutha wrote:
Trent wrote:ive got mine to 98 litres per 100 before by reversing out of my driveway

lol that's pretty good. i'd love to have seen a pic of it

-I can get a photo of 99 for you if you want. That's life when you live in an apartment complex in CBD.

cabin03
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby cabin03 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:14 pm

mine is abt 14l/100km still breaking in but it drinks as much as my 3.0L 4WD

arutha
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby arutha » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:12 pm

drove down to sydney on sunday i managed 580km out of a single tank. was very impressed with that.
Born at JustJDM's 'ninjaworks' facility,

Honed into a weapon by Mercury Motorsport

bongo
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby bongo » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:13 pm

Don't forget, we're putting 98 octane fuel in the ralliarts. So really the fuel economy isn't that great. I'm paying 20c a litre extra. Then again you by a ralliart for performance not for fuel economy. :wink:

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:04 pm

arutha wrote:drove down to sydney on sunday i managed 580km out of a single tank. was very impressed with that.

Not bad at all considering yours is "stock" LOL :P

Return to “Evolution X Performance”