***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Fuel economy when you drive in the city/short distances...

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Fuel economy when you drive in the city/short distances...

Postby JaCe » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:25 pm

... really sucks.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:29 pm

LOL i get mine up to around 75l/100kms if i give it a squirt right after starting lol. Pretty funny
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:19 am

that is extreme!!! lol....

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:44 pm

With a bit of cruise control driving to/from Wiseman's Ferry, I managed to improve my fuel economy considerably. The one thing I noticed today when driving was the moment you need to accelerate on a hill, the instant fuel consumption shoots to >20L/100km and that's shocking considering I'm only lightly throttling as opposed to heavy acceleration.

However the thing which really saved fuel consumption was when I was coasting and it dropped to nil. And using cruise control, it hovered around the 10L/100km mark.

I guess I'll wait and see how things go once the car is more run in (it's currently on around 600km).

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Dejan
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Dejan » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:01 pm

Jace,

I gotta say fuel consumption is not one of the strengths of either the Ralliart or Evo series. They are both heavy drinkers that I never have much faith in unfortunately.

With my ralliart, its exactly the same thing. Turn on the ignition and push down the accelerator gently, it starts with around 75L/100 and slowly works its way down. Uphill 20L/100k is also quite normal cos you are burying your right foot in 6th gear, otherwise if you downshift to 5th, its even worse, theres no other ways around it, but when you are cruising downhill, thats right its normally 0L/100K :lol:

Also, i wouldnt hold my hopes to high, even after the car ran in (I was hoping the fule consumption could be considerably more gentle and it never did!!), these days, if I'm driving like a grandma around, i'd be lucky to get 10.7L/100K with 65% cruising around and 35% heavy trafic, which is prolly acceptable i guess, if i get carried away from time to time, my worst record was 13.5L/100K -- 370Km full tank with the tank completely empty, you do the maths.

Another thing that really annoys me is that it seems to take forever for the fuel consumption to go down and the moment you downshift and reving this thing up, it jumps instantly up by .5Litre at least, so I really can't be bothered sometime, i mean if you can afford a $50,000 car ($70,000 in your case JACE :roll: ) who cares about a few extra litres, let her drink if it keeps her happy.

Dejan
What goes around comes around.

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:16 pm

No kidding, trying to go faster up a hill will give you worse fuel economy.. Instead of cruising up it and dropping a bit of speed and staying at a constant power output you're asking the car to put more effort into going up a hill faster. Obviously it's going to drink more fuel

Fuel consumption is directly linked to your right foot, this has never been a huge secret.

ads18x
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby ads18x » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:54 pm

ive had it up to 98L/100km before but this was the other day.
My true average in around town cruising is around 7L/100km.
My best tank was 702kms and worst was 542kms.
I have a 2.0 N/A too =P

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:58 pm

I took a pic of mine today when it was at like 72 or something. Might post it up a bit later if i can be bothered getting it off my phone
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!

Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:01 pm

LOL thanks for the responses guys- the point I was trying to make is that in say, my Civic, when going up the hill, I am pretty sure the fuel consumption was nowhere near what the Evo is doing when climbing. I'm not burying the foot into the ground here- I'm barely maintaining my speed of 60-70km/h. It just surprises me that even on slight upwards inclines, the fuel consumption also jumps considerably. I suppose the instantaneous fuel consumption graph is a gift and a curse!

As for the issues with the MMCS reported elsewhere on ClubCJ (somewhere in the satnav/head unit forums), I got the distance to empty error today when my fuel dropped to below 50km to go;

I managed to average out a 13-14L day with mostly highway cruising. The interesting thing I noted is that even when I go a bit hard and overtake here and there, etc... the fuel consumption level doesn't change dramatically and stays around the 13-14L mark. Is it like this for RA owners too whereby thrashing or cruising doesn't make much difference?

Nicho
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Nicho » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:03 pm

7L/100km is awesome! When I drive short distances my average is around 9-10L/100km and if there are no hills maybe somewhere in the 8's but never 7L/100km. I can only get 7L/100km cruising

ads18x
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby ads18x » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:09 pm

im just going by my commute to work every day thats what it was this morning which is mostly downhill... did i say around... yeah i did lol yeah around 7 so yeah goes up and down but thats granny driving it.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:31 am

Thought I'd add that with civilised driving of decent distances >10km at a time, I'm averaging around 12.8L/100km which is inclusive of urban commuting around the place but without significant traffic (i.e. always moving).

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:01 pm

New personal best of 10.9L/100km for fuel economy driving around 8pm on Victoria Rd:

BeHaV3
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby BeHaV3 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:46 pm

Need to merge/cross reference these threads.
http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=1650&highlight=
CJ RA. Stock!

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:33 pm

Please don't- it's more of an Evo fuel diary although I guess if you really want to, it's the mods call :) Also makes the Evo X board a bit fuller with more topics!

Return to “Evolution X Performance”