***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

FAQ for living with the Evo X MR

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Frazza
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Frazza » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:31 am

zeroshift wrote:I'd like to know how the hell someone that's 21 can afford $69K car...

Not really that hard these days, i have a mate who is 23 and recently bought an AMG 63. Self made money, just someone making smart choices.
MY10 Golf R | 5 Door | Rising Blue Metallic | DSG | MDI | Black 19" Talladega | Motorsport Seats | Bluetooth | Sunroof | RNS510 + DYNAUDIO 300W

zeroshift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby zeroshift » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:35 am

Jesus.

I can only assume he's working in finance... or selling drugs. ;)

Frazza
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Frazza » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:38 am

zeroshift wrote:Jesus.

I can only assume he's working in finance... or selling drugs. ;)

Haha, you need to get out more, there are these things call internet, computers and software, and people pay big money if you know your shit :wink:
MY10 Golf R | 5 Door | Rising Blue Metallic | DSG | MDI | Black 19" Talladega | Motorsport Seats | Bluetooth | Sunroof | RNS510 + DYNAUDIO 300W

arutha
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby arutha » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:54 am

i bought my evo at 22 with cash. like chris said. if you're smart and prepared to work hard its not impossible
Born at JustJDM's 'ninjaworks' facility,
Honed into a weapon by Mercury Motorsport

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:12 pm

Buying an Evo X is not impossible. As pointed out above, Some earn it, some have rich parents, some are just lucky.

The money is definitely there for everyone who owns a decent job that pays more than minimum wage to own one. It's a question of circumstance. I would say we all decide how to spend our own money. Some see priority in the wheels they have. Others need to start a family, buy property (own the house they live in). Others prefer paper wealth. I know a friend at work whose dad gave him the money to buy an Evo X (his supposed dream car) but chose to use the money to put a downpayment on an Apartment in the city so he walks to work and owns a 2nd hand Jazz. All about prioritising.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Frazza
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Frazza » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:18 pm

That's it guys, anything is possible, and you would be supprized how cheap you can get an EVO if you really do your home work, or any car for that matter. There are always bargains to be found, don't pay retail for anything :D

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:49 pm

ofey wrote:Buying an Evo X is not impossible. As pointed out above, Some earn it, some have rich parents, some are just lucky.

The money is definitely there for everyone who owns a decent job that pays more than minimum wage to own one. It's a question of circumstance. I would say we all decide how to spend our own money. Some see priority in the wheels they have. Others need to start a family, buy property (own the house they live in). Others prefer paper wealth. I know a friend at work whose dad gave him the money to buy an Evo X (his supposed dream car) but chose to use the money to put a downpayment on an Apartment in the city so he walks to work and owns a 2nd hand Jazz. All about prioritising.

Agreed with you Irving. All depends on priorities and circumstances. If I was 28 in my situation I probably wouldn't have blown half a year's pay on a car but I figured I was 21, had worked my butt off since school and had a lifetime ahead of me to save up and buy other things. Now that I'm a bit older I am still happy with the purchase but as and when I do buy another car, it probably will be something a bit more sedate.

As for the price of a brand new Evo X MR... nowadays they can be had for $65k driveaway. It's not cheap, but it's not astronomic or totally unaffordable (like many other cars) and is really in the same league as say a HSV.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

twr75
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby twr75 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:07 pm

SIVART wrote:....and not having any compression braking , like in a standard manual ...

There is engine braking with the SST. At least, that's what I've found.
EVO is not a dirty word...

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:39 pm

It's not that great on fuel even if you try and drive thriftly.

As for the SST with engine braking, yep it drives like a manual. The thing which I sometimes have forgotten is switching between manual mode and auto whilst in S-Sport can be very dangerous especially if you are driving on the street as the engine can suddenly rev very high esp if you were at low speeds.

mr_evo
Alumni
Alumni

Postby mr_evo » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:10 pm

hmm should of bought a manual :P Joking
:D I'm back baby! :D
Enkei - HKS - Turbosmart - Cosworth- TMW - Defi - DeatschWerks

liam92
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby liam92 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:11 pm

Completely agree with the above statements regarding age and Evo ownership! Life is worth living while you have it, yes dont be completely stupid but you have to have some fun.

Thats why I bought the RSclio, I was about to invest in a small commercial property which would have been the much wiser choice but I figure Ive just finished high school, im about to go into uni why not have fun now! Lets face it by the time I come out of the end of Uni I could be shacked up with a mortgage and 2.2 kids... all hopes of a nice car go out of the window then!

Hows the clutch life on the Evo's BTW (Back on topic :P)

LaNcE
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby LaNcE » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:14 pm

JaCe wrote:It's not that great on fuel even if you try and drive thriftly.

As for the SST with engine braking, yep it drives like a manual. The thing which I sometimes have forgotten is switching between manual mode and auto whilst in S-Sport can be very dangerous especially if you are driving on the street as the engine can suddenly rev very high esp if you were at low speeds.

how often do you use the s-sport mode? as ive used it about 3 times since owning the car last month! its bnot great but for $65 worth of fuel i can get about 450k+..but thats driving like a granma. all i have in the car is the rpw sucktion kit with isnt exactly a kit! LOL

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:35 pm

LaNcE wrote:
JaCe wrote:It's not that great on fuel even if you try and drive thriftly.

how often do you use the s-sport mode? as ive used it about 3 times since owning the car last month! its bnot great but for $65 worth of fuel i can get about 450k+..but thats driving like a granma. all i have in the car is the rpw sucktion kit with isnt exactly a kit! LOL

I've started driving the car in S-Sport mode a lot more now but I usually only do this when I'm in full manual mode because in automatic mode it's useless on the street (unless you like driving around in 1st/2nd all day long... and wasting petrol). So I'd say maybe half the time I drive the car in NORMAL when I'm totally stuck in traffic or not in the mood to change gears, or I'll drive in S-SPORT when in fully manual mode and am controlling the entire drive. If I just need to do an overtake then I'll switch from NORMAL to SPORT (and leave it in auto) but switch back to NORMAL not long after.

As for petrol consumption, I've found when driving in S-SPORT using full manual control and just shifting relatively efficiently to the right gear, I can get circa 10-12L/100km in daily driving in the suburbs/city which is pretty much the same as what I'd get from NORMAL in similar conditions but without the 'fun' of being able to overtake really easily when I need it.

PsyTrix
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby PsyTrix » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:18 am

Have any of you guys put a carbon fiber front lip on? I really wanna grab one but I'm unsure about how much its going to scrape?
Ralliart/Evo parts Versus 20s and BBS rims for sale! see: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=7346

Return to “Evolution X Performance”