Transmission failure x2

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

jliu015
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Transmission failure x2

Postby jliu015 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Okay, so here is the back ground story, I had a transmission repaired previously and claimed under warranty. The main reason for the failure was improper tuning of the SST box, yes I know stupid me....

Anyways just got my car back from the dealer after second repair - even I told them about the track day and they know its modified but for some reason they got it done under warranty, got me baffled but who's complaining. The main reason this time we believe is the Willall racing fluid. The car was tuned by Adam and it wasn't an aggressive tune, 285kw and ~450Nm on E85 with an EF3 which can potentially do slightly oner 300kw, but only after couple track days I noticed the temp is rising more than the last, but it hadn't reached the deadly 130c so I wasn't worried but all of sudden the gear box was extremely jerky but it wasn't slipping just that its holding on to the revs and then releasing and holding, and this happened during my hot lap as well dammit.

Did some research on line as to the probable cause of such thing I stumbled on some of the US guys having issue with Willall fluid as well, the description of the symptoms are not the same but it all ends up in the failure of the TCU. So I changed the oil and found that the fluid is no where near like the fluid that when into the car. It has the consistency of crushed ice smoothy. With the fluid gone I was hoping that the problem could go away, the drove okay but the harsh gear change start to happen and then the next day when I am planning to drive to the dealer guess what there is no gear display... well the fluid change didn't help after all, a new mechatronics which has the TCU imbedded is needed.

So to those who is thinking about putting in different fluid, do your research. The car has been out for more then five years now and the most of what can go wrong some one has done it. I will be sticking with OEM fluid as so far it's the most reliable.

R4LLI4RT
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby R4LLI4RT » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:43 pm

5 years and no1 can make a suitable oil.
what the hell is in that stuff?
3Inch Custom Cat Back Exhaust
Home Brand Alloy UICP
DBA Slotted and Drilled Rotors
K&N Panel Filter Replacement
DBA Extreme Pads
Turbosmart Dual Port BOV
Tein S Tech Springs
Painted Calipers (Makes it look faster) ;-)

jliu015
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby jliu015 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:51 pm

I think the people who made racing fluid all thinks that full synthetic fluid will be good for the transmission, true to an extent I think, unless you are going to change the fluid after every event or so.

Also don't believe what they say about their fluid will lower the temp, its the slip of the clutch that is build into the operation of the box that creates the heat so get a cooler, a gauge and a longer lasting oem fluid.

I think everyone should stick to oem, it might be slightly more expensive but it will payoff in its longer operating period. I was luck to get it replaced under warranty.

Return to “Evolution X Performance”