***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

SST or Manual?

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

citris.87
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby citris.87 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:19 am

bunnishiwa wrote:There are some rather uninformed comments here. Northshore mits obviously has all the experience of a real mitsubishi dealership with their harder in traffic with a semi auto comments (really???) And the more power sst comment? Why do I not trust to get my car serviced by mits mechanics???? As stated, drive both. The sst is amazing for a decently modded x up to 350kwish, which really is getting up there for 90% of owners unless youre looking for a dedicated track car my 10c

Actually, he is right about the traffic thing, We don't have a log of heavy traffic here in Townsville, but in the event there is a backup, I have noticed trying to creep with the traffic and it does hop along. Then again I have never had it in auto mode, and normal in traffic, so its possible it could be smoother.

However, more power from an SST, I think maybe you meant to say Manual right? because that's usually the biggest drawback for an Evo Buyer looking at an SST, they don't hold up to the strain, and from what I have been heard, you don't want to go past about 260-270kW (atw) on an SST without upgrades.

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:27 am

strange goings on ;)
i find the SST excellent in peak hour traffic, but thats on the RA, maybe theyre different to the EVO.

then again i dont try to launch it to close the gap.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:29 am

Slow throttle inputs and a shift into 2nd gear to avoid the bunny hops.

citris.87
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby citris.87 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:30 am

sleeper wrote:strange goings on ;) i find the SST excellent in peak hour traffic, but thats on the RA, maybe theyre different to the EVO. then again i don't try to launch it to close the gap.

Haha, if your not launching to close the 1m gap, your doing it wrong.

That is good to hear tho, do you drive it in auto in traffic? as I said I haven't done that and that might be my downfall. I'm always to buys trying to work out if I should be in first or second to think it might be a smart idea to put it in Auto/Normal lol.

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:31 am

yeah, auto normal.

shiv
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby shiv » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:34 am

bunnishiwa wrote:There are some rather uninformed comments here. Northshore mits obviously has all the experience of a real mitsubishi dealership with their harder in traffic with a semi auto comments (really???) And the more power sst comment? Why do I not trust to get my car serviced by mits mechanics???? As stated, drive both. The sst is amazing for a decently modded x up to 350kwish, which really is getting up there for 90% of owners unless youre looking for a dedicated track car my 10c

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-gene ... nswer.html

see if that helps

honestly its a great transmission like i said, but thats my only flaw with it.

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:40 am

squala wrote:In a world where you can have a 6-speed manual even in a humble Corolla, the Evo sticks five cogs simply dont cut it anymore. The ratios are more widely spaced, yet youd still be left wanting for a sixth sprocket for highway duty. Its simply no contest compared to the SST. Even if it had six gears with exactly the same ratios, theres still no way a humans left hand and foot can be quicker than a simple flick on the paddle. With S-Sport, its just as fun, so yeah, the five grand is well worth it.

Couldnt have said it better

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:46 am

NorthShore Mitsubishi wrote:Hard to say, although the SST is a great transmission, it is absolutely useless in traffic, constant stop starts are a pain in the backside. if youre going to be using it as a DD then hopefully you dont travel into the city much cause you will absolutely hate the constant delay in movement. (first gear is slow and unresponsive) But in saying that, the SST is a lot smoother when you do start to change gears, it can also take more POWER!! so you can do a lot more to your vehicle without having to worry about changing anything with the transmission. The manual is simply put.. a manual. Absolutely adore it :)

Your kidding right? Put it in Auto and its well.....an Auto...what ever SST you have driven in traffic must have been stuffed. And 5 shifts in a manual doesnt cut it...S15's had a six speed in early 2000's

ninjured
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby ninjured » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:57 am

we all know the real answer is the ppg 6 speed sequential

shiv
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby shiv » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:09 am

yeah understandable, look like most people on this thread have already pointed out, drive it and see what you think. thats the only way. who knows you might not like the manual at all.. or the sst?

citris.87
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby citris.87 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:16 am

ninjured wrote:we all know the real answer is the ppg 6 speed sequential

YES! Its mine tho so eyes off it!

evil.ralliart wrote:Your kidding right? Put it in Auto and its well.....an Auto...what ever SST you have driven in traffic must have been stuffed. And 5 shifts in a manual doesnt cut it...S15s had a six speed in early 2000s

This is a very common complaint about flappy paddel gearboxes in traffic. however, as mention already, it the NORMAL setting, in AUTO, it does smooth it out a lot in a traffic jam. If you actually read the manual tho, you aren't even supposed to keep it in drive in traffic jams, as it overheats, never had this issue tho personally.

Catty32
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Catty32 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:45 pm

I've driven both stock and flashed SST's but I went for the manual, its a great box and I have no regrets at all.

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:20 pm

NorthShore Mitsubishi wrote:[quote:b999730f25=bunnishiwa]There are some rather uninformed comments here. Northshore mits obviously has all the experience of a real mitsubishi dealership with their harder in traffic with a semi auto comments (really???) And the more power sst comment? Why do I not trust to get my car serviced by mits mechanics???? As stated, drive both. The sst is amazing for a decently modded x up to 350kwish, which really is getting up there for 90% of owners unless youre looking for a dedicated track car my 10c[/quote:b999730f25] http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-gene ... nswer.html see if that helps honestly its a great transmission like i said, but thats my only flaw with it.

Get the ECU updated to do what the car should do - no lag on my RA
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03
- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)
- Lowered on Kings
- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP
- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system
- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:46 pm

Marc, i think the RA has inherently less lag than a MR anyway.

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:05 pm

Catty32 wrote:Ive driven both stock and flashed SSTs but I went for the manual, its a great box and I have no regrets at all.

Good on you then, but I still don't get why Mitsu dropped the IX's 6-speed manual for the current car.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Return to “Evolution X Performance”