SST or Manual?

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Stealthmatt
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

SST or Manual?

Postby Stealthmatt » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:24 am

Well I am looking at an EVO X.... and I am considering the SST. I had an evo 9 and i was sick of hill starts and trying to get the car moving etc.

Does the SST last longer than a normal clutch? would I get 100,000km out of an SST compared to a normal clutch?

Any advice, tips or anything let me know,

Thank you

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:30 am

Have a drive of an SST and I think you will be an instant convert.I love manual transmissions but I think an X would be a PITA to drive with a manual.SST fast smooth shifts and if don't abuse them (as with everything)
it should last well over 100k
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

byzon3
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby byzon3 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:03 pm

Drive both and judge for yourself. I would go SST and its covered under warrenty anyways.

Hepas of fun to use and drive.Depend also ifs its going to be a DD or weekend warrior...

Also the SST gives the car a nicer aesthetic look in the cabin, the manual cheapens the cabin but thats my 2 cents

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:14 pm

didnt u buy a new vrx a couple of months ago Matt?
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

R4LLI4RT
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby R4LLI4RT » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:15 pm

depends on what you want to do with the car if u want to mod the car and get high hp out of it the sst can have issues compared to the regular gear box.
not sure about the milage however
3Inch Custom Cat Back Exhaust
Home Brand Alloy UICP
DBA Slotted and Drilled Rotors
K&N Panel Filter Replacement
DBA Extreme Pads
Turbosmart Dual Port BOV
Tein S Tech Springs
Painted Calipers (Makes it look faster) ;-)

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:26 pm

TrojanHorse wrote:[quote:5bbf722313=Stealthmatt]Well I am looking at an EVO X.... and I am considering the SST. I had an evo 9 and i was sick of hill starts and trying to get the car moving etc. Does the SST last longer than a normal clutch? would I get 100,000km out of an SST compared to a normal clutch? Any advice, tips or anything let me know, Thank you[/quote:5bbf722313] If youre having trouble with hill starts and wearing out clutches etc I suggest you practice more? Not being funny but thats driver education/skills as opposed to the car or the transmission.

Earlier Evos were pigs to try and get a smooth take off.A few I have driven you needed legs like a weightlifter to push the clutch in.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR

"Don't back off until you hit something"

citris.87
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby citris.87 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:05 pm

Yeah the older evos would stall at the drop of a hat, the X is a lot better. I test drove both the manual and the SST. Coming from someone who was always dead against autos, as I felt you loose the feel of the drive with an auto... I fell in love with the SST, but there are a few things to conciser IMO.

What are you looking for in a car, if this is a DD and you want something fun to drive at night, but easy to drive in the day, SST wins points here. On the other hand, if this is a Shelf Car, and your plans are to make it into a midnight monster, you will want the manual, and in a short time, you will regret getting the SST. Its not that you CANT make a monster out of an SST, its that the cost involved are considerably higher, then with a standard manual.

A few other things to concider.
SST:
- Great for lazy Driving
- Never stall again
- extremely smooth gear changed
- very fast and responsive when you need it to be.
- flappy paddles are a sexual aid.... hehe

Manual:
- Doesn't cause "Anti Auto" comments
- can launch easier and quicker, if that's your thing.
- a lot cheaper to maintain
- power upgrades are not a problem, and upgraded clutches are cheap as chips
- your left hand doesn't feel left out, however, this rules out other activitied.. ;)

shiv
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby shiv » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:08 pm

Hard to say, although the SST is a great transmission, it is absolutely useless in traffic, constant stop starts are a pain in the backside. if you're going to be using it as a DD then hopefully you don't travel into the city much cause you will absolutely hate the constant delay in movement. (first gear is slow and unresponsive)

But in saying that, the SST is a lot smoother when you do start to change gears, it can also take more POWER!! so you can do a lot more to your vehicle without having to worry about changing anything with the transmission.

The manual is simply put.. a manual. Absolutely adore it :)

lurka
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby lurka » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:18 pm

SST = Computer shifting a manual gearbox on your behalf.
Manual = you shifting a manual gearbox your self.

it is your choice as it is your car, do some forum hunting on the many evo specific forums and see what others have experienced when they start to modify the power output of the engine.
Regardless of if you're increasing the power of the motor with the SST or the Manual you might find your self investigating the possibility of upgrading the clutch regardless on the path you choose.

I am bias towards manual. I bought a manual.

I think of it like this,
SST = you can merely suggest to the computer the gear you would like (unless you get some aftermarket SST tuning love)
Manual = you can select 1st at 100km/h if you so choose.:shock:

SST can pump out some awesome quick changes, faster than any human can. :)

citris.87
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby citris.87 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:41 pm

lurka wrote:SST = Computer shifting a manual gearbox on your behalf. Manual = you shifting a manual gearbox your self. it is your choice as it is your car, do some forum hunting on the many evo specific forums and see what others have experienced when they start to modify the power output of the engine. Regardless of if youre increasing the power of the motor with the SST or the Manual you might find your self investigating the possibility of upgrading the clutch regardless on the path you choose. I am bias towards manual. I bought a manual. I think of it like this, SST = you can merely suggest to the computer the gear you would like (unless you get some aftermarket SST tuning love) Manual = you can select 1st at 100km/h if you so choose.:shock: SST can pump out some awesome quick changes, faster than any human can. :)

If for what ever reason, you think selecting 1st doing 100km/h... get the SST lol, It will deficiently last longer.

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:50 pm

There are some rather uninformed comments here. Northshore mits obviously has all the experience of a real mitsubishi dealership with their 'harder in traffic with a semi auto' comments (really???) And the more power sst comment? Why do I not trust to get my car serviced by mits mechanics????
As stated, drive both. The sst is amazing for a decently modded x up to 350kw'ish, which really is getting up there for 90% of owners unless you're looking for a dedicated track car

my 10c
Last edited by bunnishiwa on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03
- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)
- Lowered on Kings
- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP
- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system
- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:58 pm

Lurka - with the sst you actually can tell the car what gear you want to be in, the car just ensures that you don't change into gears that might destroy the engine eg 100kph in 1st??
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03

- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)

- Lowered on Kings

- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP

- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system

- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

Craker
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Craker » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:13 pm

Also sst is 6 speed and manual is only 5. I love the sst. Best of both worlds my only concern with it is problems off warranty and expensive repairs.
2011 lancer ralliart sportback
192kw + 370nm at wheels virtual dyno by boostin juice tuning
Hyperflow intercooler, gfb respons bov , gs 3 port
ultimate racing uicp and licp, hyperflow cat back + hi flow cat
MCA blue coilovers and whiteline sway bars
T3 rotors and ds performance pads
enkei sc 22 wheels

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:03 pm

In a world where you can have a 6-speed manual even in a humble Corolla, the Evo stick's five cogs simply don't cut it anymore. The ratios are more widely spaced, yet you'd still be left wanting for a sixth sprocket for highway duty. It's simply no contest compared to the SST. Even if it had six gears with exactly the same ratios, there's still no way a human's left hand and foot can be quicker than a simple flick on the paddle.

With S-Sport, it's just as fun, so yeah, the five grand is well worth it.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Return to “Evolution X Performance”