steer very well clear of turbosmart

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

steer very well clear of turbosmart

Postby scott_drake » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:02 pm

Just a warning to anyone using a turbosmart internal actuator IWG-75, do not even bother trying to pull them apart to change the springs, buy a actuator that has SCREWS like hks, forge...turbosmart there design of this so called "locking collar for quick spring changes" is a complete load of SH!T .....the threads are SO damn fine they get damaged when you take the collar off becuase of how much tension the springs have, the finish product on the threads are very very ruff, it is a mission to align the plate into place when trying to reassemble if you have not already damaged the threads, the springs seats allow to much side to side movement, the silicone diaphragm is not even high quality it is cheap cheap silicone...they do not even lube up threads or silicone during there OWN bloody assembly.....designed in aus built and made in china i rekon

this part went straight to the BIN $300 gone, i have chosen not to bother with warranty because after working many years in retail in the past i know they will claim this as "improper use".....And after seeing the craftsmanship of there product i would not want to use them again..ask any evo owner with a turbosmart bov and you will understand more

Jason@DSG
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby Jason@DSG » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:54 pm

I changed my Turbosmart to 23psi (5psi upgrade spring) without issues.

It requires some pretty delicate work.

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:11 pm

Jason@DSG wrote:I changed my Turbosmart to 23psi (5psi upgrade spring) without issues. It requires some pretty delicate work.

delicate yes, and the quality is not good... we have had their actuators fail during tuning, and install...and some not doing there job at all... TS send me out another one free of charge and when tightening the 2 screws on to the plate, the screws started to slip inside the casing with not much effort either

The quality of materials used seem to be the LOWEST grade possible

Jason@DSG
Club Sponsor
Club Sponsor

Postby Jason@DSG » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:01 am

I have heard of their actuators failing.

Apparently they've rectified this since earlier this year.

The threads are very delicate. They are definitely some better options but MAP use them by default on the EF turbos. They seem to work just fine, I only had one client over a year ago have an issues with only the Turbosmart. Since then, I've sold quite a few and there are no issues.

Return to “Evolution X Performance”