Fitting the New Timing Chain

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Fitting the New Timing Chain

Postby scott_drake » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:41 pm

Hello all, Does anyone know the EXACT parts needed to fit the new updated design Timing Chain for the 4B11T? If you do please List down what parts and the part numbers, And has anyone does this for their Evos yet?

Thanks

vermilioN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby vermilioN » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:43 pm

whats this new updated design?

Australia's sexiest blacked out ralliart ;)

evo x turbo, ets intercooler, turbosmart wga, aem intake, ur intercooler piping, ur turbo back exhaust, 3port

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Well i found this http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59118

alot of evos are starting to stretch, and starting to also happen to the lancers

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:57 pm

vermilioN wrote:whats this new updated design?

o_O same here! I heard there are a few issues with some timing chains because they get stretch, but never heard about update!

feral
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby feral » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:25 pm

From sept 2011 the timing chain durability has been improved. Parts needed only timing chain, oil pump chain, sealant (ultra grey) for timing cover and sump and possible rocker cover gasket. When done need to initialize the timing chain learnt value with the MUT. Also need oil and sump plug washer. Takes about 7 hours but best to leave overnight to let sealant dry before refilling oil.

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:30 pm

feral wrote:From sept 2011 the timing chain durability has been improved. Parts needed only timing chain, oil pump chain, sealant (ultra grey) for timing cover and sump and possible rocker cover gasket. When done need to initialize the timing chain learnt value with the MUT. Also need oil and sump plug washer. Takes about 7 hours but best to leave overnight to let sealant dry before refilling oil.

Well id like to know the EXACT parts needed including part numbers, No dealership will swap the chain out for the new one,and if they do the will change you an arm and a leg $2K Plus parts (thats like half of the labour to build a custom engine) and they will VOID ALL warranty relating to engine....Even tho my car has no warranty, id rather get the parts and pay $700 in labour than fork out for a new engine down the line because mitshi designed this engine poorly....

zedd82
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby zedd82 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:57 am

MN183891 is the original chain. Not only that, but it seems that most dealerships you call will order this part by default because it's what shows up in their inventory database and they will say there's no record of that part having been superceded (recently updated).

1140A073 is the new chain. If you give a dealership this number, they will not find it in their inventory database (at least the ones I talked to didn't). They had to go look this up in the actual Mitsubishi parts catalog upon being provided with the last 8 of the VIN#. The new chain is also about 20-30 bucks more expensive

This is what it says at the bottom of the link you posted, so maybe 1140A073 is the part number for the new chain...

If you're not going to take it to a dealer how are you going to initialize the timing chain learnt value with the MUT3?
Club CJ's fastest and most powerful Ralliart 349.8kw/ 469hp atw 12.068s 187km/h

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:06 am

My understanding is that all chains are supposed to stretch over time.
I guess the question is by how much over how long is normal.

Suffice to say that if Mitsubishi have released an updated part. It will help in some way (reduce stretch) otherwise they would not have bothered with R+D.

My question is. does the timing chain learnt value have to be reset with the MUT-III or can it be reset using 3rd party methods.

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:36 am

In syd that part number does not exist
Yes u need mut3 to reset...

well any stretch is too much stretch.....evos that are clocking up kms are starting to stretch cuasing engine faliure....even mrt got chain stretch and cuased faliure....

megatron
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby megatron » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:11 am

scott_drake wrote:[quote:04b3815447=feral]From sept 2011 the timing chain durability has been improved. Parts needed only timing chain, oil pump chain, sealant (ultra grey) for timing cover and sump and possible rocker cover gasket. When done need to initialize the timing chain learnt value with the MUT. Also need oil and sump plug washer. Takes about 7 hours but best to leave overnight to let sealant dry before refilling oil.[/quote:04b3815447] Well id like to know the EXACT parts needed including part numbers, No dealership will swap the chain out for the new one,and if they do the will change you an arm and a leg $2K Plus parts (thats like half of the labour to build a custom engine) and they will VOID ALL warranty relating to engine....Even tho my car has no warranty, id rather get the parts and pay $700 in labour than fork out for a new engine down the line because mitshi designed this engine poorly....

I know of 1 EVO X MR that had chain replaced under warranty

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:56 pm

.[/quote:f97aab4cbb] I know of 1 EVO X MR that had chain replaced under warranty[/quote]

it had to have been 100% bone stock un-touched engine for them to even consider it for warranty......Mabey we should try kick up a stink for a recall on all ralliart/evo from 2008-2010,

If mitshi had to redesign the chain due to a design flaw (weak links) which the already have...then that should mean all engines should be recalled and fixed under warranty REGARDLESS of year/kms....Becuase if the new design came out in 2010 that would mean the 08's would still be covered regardless of how many owners the car has had.....But nooooo mitshi being mitshi saying knowingly aware that it is a desgin flaw but pass it up as a wear and tear item.....Loop holes.....hahahaha

Anyways, i still want to know What parts are needed....i know its not just the chain...there are other parts needed but i dont know what

megatron
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby megatron » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:00 pm

agree, let me know how I can help to make it a recall item

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:21 pm

I will be more than happy to help with the recall too! I'm getting paranoid now :/

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:38 pm

Belive me you should be paranoid...every time your car is on that chain is gona stretch bit by bit then the check engine light gona come up...you gona be somehwere farr and think it should be ok becuase the book says to DRIVE to the nearest authorized dealer and until you get the code p0012 (timing chain stretch) and keep driving it to your dearler to get them to inspect it BAMB!!!! bye bye engine and bye bye warranty.....

This is why i wana change it over before this happens, Ive already had my tuner reprogram the sensor to come on earlier than its ment to, for saftey reasons....

Well i dont know how to go abouts to make this a recall, if mitshi where to do it, it would not just be australia it would have to be world wide, im going to speak to my mechanic sometime this week and see whats the best route to take, i know documents will have to be provoided to make it happen wich is pretty damn hard to get someone from the states (mainly where its happening and slowly starting here) to photo copy and send through an mitsi offical warranty sheet of the work performed and why the part failed.....as soon as i get that its enough to go to any mitshi dearler shove it in their face and tell them suck on it....hahaha

Not unless the persons in australia who got it covered under warranty could be kind enough to supply us with that paper work

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:41 pm

megatron wrote:agree, let me know how I can help to make it a recall item

mega if you can track that person down and get him to email you a copy of the work performed by mitshi and stating why it was replaced its a stepping stone.....With that i can go to my mechanic and he will tell me what to do,

Hes made holden to 4 recalls over the years, becuase thats how well he knows hes shit with holdens...he just calls holden and says recall this part otherwise its gona cost you a shit load money if you dont fix it now....mabey he could do the same for mitshi LOL

Return to “Evolution X Performance”