***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Fitting the New Timing Chain

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

27enemies
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby 27enemies » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:03 pm

Okay so im breathing life into an old thread but ive just had the warning come up...

I would like to avoid the 2k in costs to get this replaced. I spoke to mitsu and they said that they actually increase the percentages values for stretch and that the chain should only be replaced if the engine is noisey... wtf.

If I send my car to mitsu they are going to destroy my engine. It was parramatta btw.
08 RA Sportback

#teamblue #teamsportback #teamturbo

gman90
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby gman90 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:37 pm

Hi so is 2000 what mitsu had qouted you ???????? I am getting mitsu to do visual check on my timing chain at my next service ????? ? Gary
Evolution X MR 712 GTP Turbo Upgrade. Pedders Sports Extrema Coil Overs, DBA 5000 Premium 2 piece Brake Rotors Front and Rear Rotors ,OME Black- Out Rear Taillights (Ralliart) Red Floor Illumination. White Line Centre Roll Adjust Kit.
Ecutek Custom Tune. 3in TurboXS. Turbo Back Exhaust.

gman90
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby gman90 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:40 pm

Hi so is 2000 what mitsu had qouted you ???????? I am getting mitsu to do visual check on my timing chain at my next service ????? ? Gary
Evolution X MR 712 GTP Turbo Upgrade. Pedders Sports Extrema Coil Overs, DBA 5000 Premium 2 piece Brake Rotors Front and Rear Rotors ,OME Black- Out Rear Taillights (Ralliart) Red Floor Illumination. White Line Centre Roll Adjust Kit.

gman90
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby gman90 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi my car has not thrown the code yet !!!! but want to get it checked out anyway I kicked up a bit of a stink on my my last service as it was the last one in warranty time . dealer offered to visually check it out on my next service so I am keen to see what they say????
I hope it will not cost $2000 to replace it if it is close to it's limit s gary
Last edited by gman90 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

27enemies
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby 27enemies » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:07 pm

No 2000 was from a mechanic I trust. Thats both chains and tensioners and the guides plus all the gaskets. And water pump and labour...
08 RA Sportback

El-Diablo
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby El-Diablo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:42 pm

Ok i had my chain replaced under warranty after it broke. Here is what you need to do.

What year is your car? Ask the dealer to check what chain you have. Tell them you know it is a known warranty issue and you want it replaced before it breaks, the old chain tensioner and oiler are no longer available as they have been withdrawn.

This is what is called a notification undewr a dealer notice which means it isn't a recall but when vehicles come in for service they are meant to check if its still ok.

Tell them you know a design change happened in MY2011/2012 i'm not sure which/there is clearly a design fault and you want it rectified.

If they persist write and say you will be making a claim under consumer protection laws as the part was clearly not fit for purpose and the failure is not considered normal wear and tear.

As for any other members standard 4B11 turbos fail in both the evo and ralliart due to this issue. Any one considering a turbo upgrade should check the level of chain they have and change to the latest version it will save you a lot of money down the track.

belle_tb_ES
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby belle_tb_ES » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:47 pm

If worst comes to worst....and it needs to be replaced try and save to get other things eg water pump and thermostat?? Not sure if they come out too
PRESENT: 2015 Audi S3

PAST:2009 Lancer ES called Lancee...

Garage: http://clubcj.net/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=947
I

El-Diablo
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby El-Diablo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:49 pm

I hAVE THE INVOICE SOMEWHERE I WILL TRY TO FIND IT AND POST IT

27enemies
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby 27enemies » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:51 pm

Cheers Rob.
08 RA Sportback

BZC-45S
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BZC-45S » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:52 pm

Hey Adam, if Parra are not giving you satisfaction, goto nearby Northshore Mitsu, in Ryde (Victoria Road).

But Parra are supposedly a good Ralliart/Evo dealer workshop. They should hopefully cover you under warranty as it's a known issue.

27enemies
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby 27enemies » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:54 pm

Yeah I called Parra cause i heard they were good for actually doing warranty repairs...

But they said that the chain should be replaced between 70-90k

And sorry but that is just crap mitsu. belts last longer.
08 RA Sportback

gman90
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby gman90 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:58 pm

Hi yes I did tell my dealer I new of the chain issue, as I said I jump and down a bit that is when they offered to look at next service i took heaps info about the chtain problem but they judt offered to check it next time gary

27enemies
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby 27enemies » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:14 pm

Yes Mitsu told me its not a warranty issue regardless of what i said.
08 RA Sportback

R4LLI4RT
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby R4LLI4RT » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:25 pm

So wait Adam, they are saying that the chain streching isnt a warranty issue?

how many kms have you got?? If they say its not call up mitsu austrlia and question it.
my cars chain streched, and in their wisdom they said 'oh we will just clear the code and see what happens' 2 weeks later it came back and i had 2 wait 2 weeks before they could change it, 14000kms later my cams have now gone stupid, beeble had a look and told me what the code was displaying.

dont let them push you back saying its not warranty, push them until they are pissed off at you, remember your paying for that car not them
3Inch Custom Cat Back Exhaust
Home Brand Alloy UICP
DBA Slotted and Drilled Rotors
K&N Panel Filter Replacement
DBA Extreme Pads
Turbosmart Dual Port BOV
Tein S Tech Springs
Painted Calipers (Makes it look faster) ;-)

Return to “Evolution X Performance”