***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Fitting the New Timing Chain

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

27enemies
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby 27enemies » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:05 pm

yeah im gonna push the buck come monday. 75000ks which is about 75000ks less than what id expect a chain to last... Ill keep you all in the know because this is a big issue...

Although I am tempted to just do the chain...... and cams and turbo and zorst... :p
08 RA Sportback

#teamblue #teamsportback #teamturbo

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:50 pm

if anyone is interested in a complete timing chain replacement kit BRAND NEW OEM SEALED, i mean everything, gaskets, guides, oil chains, timing chains, bolts etc....

Not included is the timing tensenior and timing sprocket they only needs changing if damaged or worn out, let me know

thanks

black_ice
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby black_ice » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:06 pm

Could you please post up the parts with the part numbers for future reference.
Thanks!
Saying a car is for going form A to B is like saying sex is for reproduction!

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:45 pm

evo x vin number, I dno about ralliart/lancer if they use same part numbers

1035A583 VALVE COVER GASKET
MN183892 TIMING CHAIN GUIDE
1140A073 TIMING CHAIN NEW DESIGN
MN183896 OIL PUMP CHAIN
MN183898 TENSIONER OIL PUMP GUIDE
MN183897 OIL CHAIN GUIDE BALANCER
MF660061 GASKET/WASHER T/C
1052A809 OIL SEAL TIMING COVER
MN187029 BOLT X4
MN187030 BOLT X1
MN187028 BOLT X1
MF140203 BOLT X2
MF140209 BOLT X2

(the ^^^ parts I have ready to go)

(the lower 4 parts depend on condition I dont have these)

OEM PCV Valve x1
OEM PCV Thread O-Ring x1
OEM Timing Chain Tension-er x1
OEM Timing Chain Sprocker x1

Spark Plugs ? Inspect

The above 4 parts are only if damaged change them or if you want piece if mind or be really really fussy change them, otherwise just leave them

The large timing chain tensioner guide and timing chain top guide (top guide no longer used in new engines) in OEM parts I do not have, I have the Keegan Engineering Kit timing chain guide tensioner and timing chain top guide, which costed me over $400 to get here, I still have not used this part yet, Full instructions ready to go

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:05 pm

what are u asking for it Scott?
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

black_ice
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby black_ice » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:58 pm

^^Thanks!
Saying a car is for going form A to B is like saying sex is for reproduction!

gman90
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Timing chain replacement

Postby gman90 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:46 pm

Hi all has anyone replaced their own timing chain ????? Thanks Gary
Evolution X MR 712 GTP Turbo Upgrade. Pedders Sports Extrema Coil Overs, DBA 5000 Premium 2 piece Brake Rotors Front and Rear Rotors ,OME Black- Out Rear Taillights (Ralliart) Red Floor Illumination. White Line Centre Roll Adjust Kit.
Ecutek Custom Tune. 3in TurboXS. Turbo Back Exhaust.

gman90
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby gman90 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:51 pm

Who in Brisbane can do the timing chain replacement for a reasonable price ????cheers Gazza :?:
Evolution X MR 712 GTP Turbo Upgrade. Pedders Sports Extrema Coil Overs, DBA 5000 Premium 2 piece Brake Rotors Front and Rear Rotors ,OME Black- Out Rear Taillights (Ralliart) Red Floor Illumination. White Line Centre Roll Adjust Kit.

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:25 am

gman90 wrote:Who in Brisbane can do the timing chain replacement for a reasonable price ????cheers Gazza :?:

I got mine done at http://www.brisbanetuning.com.au/ when i had the engine rebuild
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:33 pm

gman90 wrote:Hi all has anyone replaced their own timing chain ????? Thanks Gary

I have done this 2 times, it is a PAIN IN THE ASS with the motor still in the car, we done the second one and we removed the engine, it was actully allot faster and easier to work on once the motor was out...

with motor still in, a brief run down is

remove:

spark plugs
valve cover
engine mounts and gearbox mounts (so you can move the bloody block to fit your arm in to the chain area)
power steering pump (pulley section)
power steering and a/c belts
pulleys
sump
timing cover (you need fishing wire to get this off nicely and not leave too much sealent on the block)
then follow to remove timing chain components

there is a fuse you pull out for a few seconds then put back in to reset the value, i cannot remeber which one it was but it does work, it saves you going to the dealer and paying $$$ to reset the chain...when you do change the chain do not drive or start the car until you re-set the value on the chain...

You can search on evo x forums to replace the timing chain, but belive me when i tell you this.

its a head fu#K of a job to do

You need time and patience, the right tools for the job, oem parts ready to go, and be ready for a long 1-2 days depending on how good you are with cars...and allot of swearing hahaha

or you can pay like 1,500-2K in labour to get it changed

gman90
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby gman90 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:27 pm

Hi thanks for getting back to me mine has not thrown the code yet??? It looks kinda easy on the you tube clip but knowing my luck I would stuff it up ? Was hoping someone might throw thier hand up if someone had done coulpe of them before thought a couple cartons of happy juice might help persuade to give a hand thx fellas gary

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:08 am

gman90 wrote:Hi thanks for getting back to me mine has not thrown the code yet??? It looks kinda easy on the you tube clip but knowing my luck I would stuff it up ? Was hoping someone might throw thier hand up if someone had done coulpe of them before thought a couple cartons of happy juice might help persuade to give a hand thx fellas gary

Well the code is a bit iffy, sometimes it will not throw a code until its too late. (ie your tracking the car and the chain stretches just enough to allow the valves to hit the pistons then knock knock click click clunk clunk clap clap BOOOOOOM!!!! before the ecu can recognize the chain has stretched too much)

If you have never fixed an engine (ie remove and rebuild) then dont do it! you will not have enough knowledge or experience to do it. you can really mess things up and costing you allot more money or worse you could actually injure yourself.

To do the chain i THINK RTR said it takes them about 6-8hours to do, dont hold me to those words. (they have done many of them im sure they have a much faster method of doing it).

My first one took me about 11-12hours clock time to do with the engine still in the car winging it.. the second one was about 17hours clock time (though we removed the engine, gearbox, tcase, then re-install, flush and bleed all fluids etc...)

A few cartons of happy juice wont be enough currency LOL unless you have really good friends. there will be allot of cursing, throwing shit around, wrestling with the car, lots of empty cans, cigarette butts on the floor, and considering blowing the car up at least 4times questioning the designer of mitsubishi asking "WHY!!!"until you complete the job.

I dont think anyone on this forum has done the chain besides RTR (road track rally), Adam (Beeble), and myself.

gman90
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby gman90 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:46 am

Hi yes I no just thought I would ask I will it to the experts when it is time to do it. Thanks for the feed back. Cheers Gary

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:02 pm

gman90 wrote:Hi yes I no just thought I would ask I will it to the experts when it is time to do it. Thanks for the feed back. Cheers Gary

you can go to the dearler and get them to check the value of stretch via the ecu, that will give a rough idication. Should take no more then 15mins drive in drive out.

But to truley inspect it you need to take the valve cover off, Again the dearler can do that for you about 2hours drive in drive out.

mcpondy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby mcpondy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:12 am

scott_drake wrote:[quote:8382849a37=gman90] A few cartons of happy juice wont be enough currency LOL unless you have really good friends. there will be allot of cursing, throwing shit around, wrestling with the car, lots of empty cans, cigarette butts on the floor, and considering blowing the car up at least 4times questioning the designer of mitsubishi asking WHY!!!until you complete the job.

Haha nice one Scott.

So looking through these posts, it looks like most 08/09 have the issue, but the design change didnt get implemented until 2011. I have an MY10 - with about 50ks on. So am I correct in assuming this will most likely happen to me eventually?

So my best approach is basically sit and wait, and hope that I get the error code before my warranty expires (June 2015)?

Return to “Evolution X Performance”