bye bye clutch, i need advice

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

bye bye clutch, i need advice

Postby scott_drake » Mon May 06, 2013 1:55 am

bye bye clutch, the clutch is on its way out. The oem clutch held up 46,000kms wich 6,000kms where from my abusive driving..has anyone blown a clutch here and if so how many kms did your one last...now, in terms of clutch i am not going a multi plate as they wear out too quickly for cruising...was going to go a 6pucka but RTR has changed my mind....i am thinking of this combo

MAP RHD slave Cyclinder Kit $300 shipped

Exedy MBK-7948HD Heavy Duty Clutch kit$650 local pick up

ARP flywheel Bolts $50 local pick up

Exedy MF04 Racing Flywheel $400 local pick up

Does anyone with the evo 10 in MANUAL have any inputs or advice or recommend a different combo?? And do those prices sound right for the exedy parts?? My car will be off the road for the next few weeks....until i get service, clutch parts, labour for clutch install.....Then back to weekend fun

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Mon May 06, 2013 10:29 am

Dude...you must have been pretty hard on the clutch...46k isnt really that much. Ive allways run with exedy...never let me down but depends on what your putting through it really.

vermilioN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby vermilioN » Mon May 06, 2013 10:50 am

The stock clutches have been known for giving up very quickly especially under moded power.

Australia's sexiest blacked out ralliart ;)

evo x turbo, ets intercooler, turbosmart wga, aem intake, ur intercooler piping, ur turbo back exhaust, 3port

McCoy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby McCoy » Tue May 07, 2013 10:10 pm

That's not accurate.

The RTR Evo X Time Attack car started off life with the standard clutch and standard clutch master cylinder. The car had done literally dozens of track days and about 40,000km on the standard clutch. For what it's worth the car had an exhaust and tune from delivery of the car brand new. From there it got a bigger turbo with an FP Red and a heap of other parts, for quite some time it was making between 270-290kW at the wheels with plenty of motorsport AND daily driven before it was turned into a track only car.

It wasn't until we switched to E85 and the power climbed to 347kW at the wheels that the 100% bone stock clutch gave up. On the main straight at Eastern Creek it slurred and slipped like a mofo in 4th gear, but until that day it was fine.

How is that possible? Quite simple, the car has NEVER been launched and the driver is easy on the equipment.

For a stark comparison, a Tarmac Rally Evo X with around the 220kW at the wheels mark will smash an upgraded clutch after one Tarmac Rally, usually within the rally itself a clutch will die or weld itself to the flywheel and the simple reason is launching. Launching, dumping and stabbing the clutch cause pre-mature wear on the clutch cover, it's not power until you talk very big numbers.
Dyno's

An invaluable tuning tool when used correctly
An invaluable sales tool when used incorrectly

vermilioN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby vermilioN » Tue May 07, 2013 10:33 pm

You cant say that is not accurate based on experience with one car.. Look over all the X forums and you will see how many people have problems with the clutches, and most people launch they're cars anyways.

evo x turbo, ets intercooler, turbosmart wga, aem intake, ur intercooler piping, ur turbo back exhaust, 3port

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Tue May 07, 2013 10:52 pm

sorry to bud in here but the evo x clutch is very good up to the 250kw mark if you know how to drive SAFELY....I can tell you know people who blow there stock clutches (minus the cmc clip problem) ride the clutch too damn much or drive it very harsh as RTR has said above....i only launched my car once to see how it handled it...i did not like it one bit...but i do use my car hard...im talking hard dumping it like a mofo through gears under full boost at 7,000rpm and dabbing the clutch heaps of times, but god knows how many times the previous owners launced it....

my mate who has a 800WHP r34 has a 4 puck brass button clutch on there with NO springs..This is an ON or OFF clutch....It would take all the DUMPING you could throw at it, as soon as he dabbed the clutch in the high revs, BYE BYE clutch....he replaced it with the same clutch and NEVER dabbed it again and has been going STRONG for 20,000kms....still launches it like a mofo....Minus the gearbox oil changes every 5000kms

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Tue May 07, 2013 10:52 pm

sorry to bud in here but the evo x clutch is very good up to the 250kw mark if you know how to drive SAFELY....I can tell you know people who blow there stock clutches (minus the cmc clip problem) ride the clutch too damn much or drive it very harsh as RTR has said above....i only launched my car once to see how it handled it...i did not like it one bit...but i do use my car hard...im talking hard dumping it like a mofo through gears under full boost at 7,000rpm and dabbing the clutch heaps of times, but god knows how many times the previous owners launced it....

my mate who has a 800WHP r34 has a 4 puck brass button clutch on there with NO springs..This is an ON or OFF clutch....It would take all the DUMPING you could throw at it, as soon as he dabbed the clutch in the high revs, BYE BYE clutch....he replaced it with the same clutch and NEVER dabbed it again and has been going STRONG for 20,000kms....still launches it like a mofo....Minus the gearbox oil changes every 5000kms

McCoy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby McCoy » Tue May 07, 2013 10:55 pm

It is accurate and I'm not basing it on one car.

I'm basing it on lots of them that come and go from my workshop, I'm basing it with years of previous experience. We service, tune and maintain more Evo X's than pretty much anyone in the country.

We have one Evo 9 owner that has done OVER 100,000kms on the stock clutch, and he has never launched it. The car is tuned with an exhaust and makes a good amount of power, he never thrashes or tracks the car and again NEVER launched it. coincidence?

I can kill a brand new Evo X clutch in about 10 minutes just from launching on Tarmac with stock power levels, its launching which kills it, that's why Tarmac Rally cars kill clutches so easy, it's all the launching at each stage. All that torque has to go somewhere and it doesnt translate into wheelspin, Evo's have a stupid amount of mechanical grip afterall.

The reason why I mentioned our own car is that it's a perfect example of a car which gets used in a harsh environment that hasnt been launched and has big power. The stock clutch can handle power, just not launches and thats the key to longer clutch wear, or course there is a limit to how much power you can run, for us it was around 350kW at the wheels.

I'm well aware of our customers driving habits, even if the customer doesnt tell me, their cars tell us how they drive with the wear we see on them at service intervals, and I know most Evo owners launch their cars, for those that launch alot you might only get 5,000km out of stock clutch, for those that only do it occasionally they might get 45,000km and for those that never launch they might get 90,000km out of it, maybe even more if the power level isnt more than double factory.

As for the American forums, yes you are right there are tonnes of Evo X owners with rooted clutches, but you'll also notice the majority launch their cars, they also have a history steep in drag racing. Coincidence?

What you also see in America is Evo X owners replacing the clutch with crazy twin plates with huge clamp loads or singles with button or aggressive paddles only to find they blow up their clutch master cylinder. suprize suprize, it's plastic! From there they replace that and then smash their transfer cases.

I cant count the amount of transfer cases we've replaced in our workshop on an Evo X because we havent replaced any, none of our customers launch there Evo X's like they do overseas yet in yankee land apparently the transfer case is weak... again, coincidence?

Launch an Evo X manual and you WILL break your shit quickly.
Dyno's

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Tue May 07, 2013 11:24 pm

McCoy wrote:Launch an Evo X manual and you WILL break your shit quickly.

AMEN

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Wed May 08, 2013 2:05 am

and SST launches?
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

vermilioN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby vermilioN » Wed May 08, 2013 3:11 am

Like I said, most people with a manual evo x would launch they're cars atleast once if not a couple times and therefore have trouble thats what I was reffering too when it comes to stock clutches being unreliable.

McCoy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby McCoy » Wed May 08, 2013 9:27 am

You made mention of power being the culprit, that's not the reason hence my posts.
Dyno's

BUZZ_QWERTY
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby BUZZ_QWERTY » Wed May 08, 2013 9:46 am

^ Now that has been sorted ^

Can anyone reccomend Scott a good clutch/flywheel combo :P

McCoy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby McCoy » Wed May 08, 2013 11:10 am

organic disc
chromo flywheel
pressure plate with around the 1250-1350kg clamp load would be about spot on.
Dyno's

Return to “Evolution X Performance”