***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

EvoX 800hp (the engine)

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Frosty
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Frosty » Sat May 04, 2013 3:43 am

PedjaEvo wrote:...few weeks later get the parts and bam...

There will be no 'and bam' anywhere near that modding process.. It will be months of endless labor and a bottomless pit of funds..
I'm not saying it's impossible - I just doubt you realise the time, effort, man-hours and funding that are required for a build like that.
2.0L - K&N Typhoon SRI - High-Flow Exhaust System - Merlinised

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Sat May 04, 2013 9:36 am

CJVRX wrote:You say you have 100G to spend?? Why buy a EVO then get a Audi or something

Spot on - Evo's are a nice piece of kit, but if you (or daddy) have major funds for a road only car an Audi S4/S5 or a top of the range BMW3 would be the go.
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03
- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)
- Lowered on Kings
- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP
- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system
- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

McCoy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby McCoy » Sat May 04, 2013 10:47 am

Hrm, interesting reading this.

Considering my workshop has done more big power Evo X's than anyone else in Australia, I may as well wade in here. What are you planning on using the car for? Also, why hp measured at the engine? Did you want your engine put on an engine dyno before it goes in your car?

Trust me on one thing, chasing horsepower at the fly is crazy, in fact chasing any power figure is crazy.

What transmission? If it's a manual then yes you'll be okay with a 600hp car at the wheels, I know because we have one ourselves and have built up more than a few. If it's an SST you'll have all sorts of issues, once you start approaching the 270-290kW mark at the wheels, you'll need to spend some serious money on the gearbox and other areas. Then the other issue will be the AYC rear diff, if you make enough power and torque, the hydraulic pump wont be able to supply enough hydraulic pressure to open and close the rear diff.

Pitfalls, plenty of pitfalls. I'd rather not see you make the same mistake others have already made when taking on a project like this. If you want some advice, feel free to give me a call anytime, thats the least I can do.

It's easy for us to make the power and do it reliably, but it does depend on the application you are going to use your car for. We have one Evo X 5 speed manual that makes 390kW at the wheels on our dyno (which maeans it'll make about 440kW on anyone elses hehe) and it's daily driven, so it can be done, it just depends on what you want and why.
Dyno's

An invaluable tuning tool when used correctly
An invaluable sales tool when used incorrectly

scraverX
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby scraverX » Sat May 04, 2013 1:50 pm

I've always held it's easier to get big horsepower with big displacement.

Just buy a V8 and super or turbo it.
"Max" 2009 MY10 RX, Black. CCJ Lifetime Premium Member #0125
Car & Home audio nut.
Car audio brands used: Audison, Eclipse, Hybrid Audio Technology, Precision Power, Polk Audio, Pioneer PRS
Home Audio: Denon, Epos, Pro`ject, AKG

Beeble
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Beeble » Sat May 04, 2013 8:55 pm

If this kid is for real, this will be fun.
so you want a 400kw+ atw daily driver, just off your Ps?
that's cool and all, but have you ever driven anything with anywhere NEAR that kind of power??

anyways, if this is your pipe dream, and you can afford to pull it off, if both you and the car are still alive in 6 months after you get it back i'll be well impressed :)
There's a few shops around that can put it all together for you. There are very few shops that will put it together and still have it running a year later. And there's only a very small number of tuners that would have tuned an Evo X with that sort of power out there.

You'll be dropping 40-50k building the car up properly.
have fun!!
Modding or Tuning questions for your Lancer, RA or EVO? drop me a line!
http://BeebleTune.com

ijustatecurry
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby ijustatecurry » Sat May 04, 2013 9:09 pm

*facepalm*
All bleeding stops eventually!

Beeble
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Beeble » Sat May 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Fair enough
well if you go down this road - get a 2.5litre motor, because the turbo lag to get the power you're after will be astronomical.

but you can pull 400-450kw on the 2.5L and it will still drive half decent.
and trust me, that will be a stupid fast car.
400kw on the track is nice, but you always feel like you want more power on the track. the car never feels as fast as on the road.
400kw on the street borders on ridiculous. it's great for the bragging rights, but take it from me, there is almost nowhere you can open up the taps and actually use the car for what it was built for. and when 400kw comes on song on bumpy roads as opposed to nice smooth tarmac on a track) you need to really drive the car :)

McCoy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby McCoy » Sat May 04, 2013 9:25 pm

Agree with everything Adam has just said, thing is we both know the same people with the same cars that have already gone down this path before. My advice is to talk to people that build this exact type of thing you want, and then speak to the people that drive them. You'll get some real insight that way and no other.
Dyno's

Beeble
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Beeble » Sat May 04, 2013 9:28 pm

^ and we also both know people who set out to build 400kw evo 10s and ended up selling them or are very frustrated that their cars keep breaking and never quite meet their goals.

as someone said earlier. you can build it. it will run.
keeping it running, will cost you a tonne of cash.
shit will break. and it will break often. fork out the big bucks up front, and it will break less often. but it will still break :)

vermilioN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby vermilioN » Sat May 04, 2013 9:49 pm

Evo x is a great car and they can be really fast but you could easily get something a lot cheaper and make it a lot faster for less. I have been considering a high hp evo x for my next car but its probably not worth the money even though they are my favourite car!

Australia's sexiest blacked out ralliart ;)

evo x turbo, ets intercooler, turbosmart wga, aem intake, ur intercooler piping, ur turbo back exhaust, 3port

McCoy
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby McCoy » Sat May 04, 2013 10:35 pm

I think 'a fast car' and a fast evo are two different things.

If you want 800Hp, just get a supra. One of our customers has one, only makes 330kW at the wheels currently, it struggles to get the power down and he is aiming to reach the 1000hp mark, he'll get there too. But it's not what I call a quick car.

It doesn't take off as it has no grip, it doesn't handle because it's a supra and it doesn't stop for the torque and weight of the car, but it can make 1000hp on the stock block, thing is you don't drive e number.

Then you have an evo by comparison. To give you an example, when I was at Ralliart, the Evo X's that were built for the Bathurst 12hr made about 240kW at the wheels and that was enough to win the 12hr and keep the 6cyl turbo charged 335i BMW at bay. Dean Evans too an almost stock Evo X MR to the top of Mount Buller quicker than anything else in a tarmac Rally one year, the damn car still had a sub woofer in the boot.

Evo's are quick without stupid amounts of power, whether you believe that or not is the question, it's making them quick without throwing a rocket up their arse that is the art.
Dyno's

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Sat May 04, 2013 10:40 pm

gotta love awd & yaw control :)
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER