evo x glowing exhaust mainfold

Evo X Performance & Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

evo x glowing exhaust mainfold

Postby scott_drake » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:25 pm

hey club, i got my car tuned and took it for a very spirited drive last night...may i say it was awsome to drive.... here is what hapened...

Drive spirited for solid 5mins

Drove easy for 5mins after the spirited driving,

Poped the bonnet and my exhaust mainfold was GLOWING Orange, i did not turn the car off until it cooled down propley....

Has anyone had this problem with there mainfolds glowing??

I was thinking aftermarket mainfold tubular design, ceramic coat, heat wrap, heat shields, external wastegate...

can someone guide me as to why it was glowing??

Thanks

tencents
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tencents » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Was the turbo glowing too? i think its normal for the turbo to glow but not sure about the exhaust manifold. Maybe get ceramic coated?
- GST basemap
- AMS boostpill
- Works High flow drop in air filter
- Evo X BPV
- UR UICP

vermilioN
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby vermilioN » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:23 pm

Unless your going to drive like that all the time then I doubt it would be a problem. But if you have the cash go nuts, I think you would be better off heat wrapping it first before spending big bucks.

Australia's sexiest blacked out ralliart ;)

evo x turbo, ets intercooler, turbosmart wga, aem intake, ur intercooler piping, ur turbo back exhaust, 3port

anghel132
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby anghel132 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:49 pm

I have some questions for you:

Was there mystical music playing at the time?
Was there a moment where the suspension was so amazing you didn't feel the road under you or the wheels even turning?
Were there moments where you felt as if you were riding a lot... higher. than you should've been.

After stopping, was the car.. purring.. like a very well sated pet?

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:57 pm

Um...Turbos and the exhaust manifold will glow like that..... allways have...they run hot....my first Turbo car in the late 80's i could just about see through it when it was hot...your first Turbo car huh???

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Don't worry! It's normal!
Question do you still have the heat shields on? If not you better do something about it before you cook everything around it! Why i ask is because out from the factory they come with heat shields and you can't really see the manifold or turbo

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:37 pm

anghel132 wrote:I have some questions for you: Was there mystical music playing at the time? Was there a moment where the suspension was so amazing you didnt feel the road under you or the wheels even turning? Were there moments where you felt as if you were riding a lot... higher. than you shouldve been. After stopping, was the car.. purring.. like a very well sated pet?

+1 yes to all of the above...i almost died at my desk today reading this

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:40 pm

evil.ralliart wrote:Um...Turbos and the exhaust manifold will glow like that..... allways have...they run hot....my first Turbo car in the late 80s i could just about see through it when it was hot...your first Turbo car huh???

nah ive had a few turbo cars in the past but nothing this sensitive and temperamental...Lets say my turbo cars back in the day didnt have these "CHECK LIGHTS"...but im still having a blast with this car

STAX
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby STAX » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:16 pm

In 5 min doesn't sound right ???

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Update, Driving on the freeway and checked it and it still glowed inlcuding the compressor housing ...Done some homework and could be Timing to Advance or to Retard (rich or lean) causing un-bunt fuel to hit the exhaust manifold which causes it to glow...Towed the thing home just to be safe now driving my other beast for the long weekend (sigh)...and will be taking it back in for a retune on tuesday...Spoke to Indy at ISMR and he said it does not sound normal and he will check it out and hopefully fix it....Im thinking mabey becuase we where tuning in 47DEG room temp the tune did not like nice cold 16DEG temps...Air fuel ratios are very nice... so im leaning towards timing is off or car is running too lean in cruising conditions...I will keep you all updated when we get this sorted out

Beeble
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Beeble » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:08 pm

if you still have the stock injectors in stalled the car will be running spot on for cruise in terms of AFRs as the ecu runs in closed loop.
you aren't even generating boost on the highway, it runs with manifold vacuum so the turbo is spinning but will not really be heating things up at all.

Maybe you have a serious exhaust restriction there? collapsed baffle, collapsed catalyst or something.
the turbine housing and exhaust manifold can glow on the dyno with repeated runs but cruising at highway speeds should not cause something like that. unless it is running HUGE amounts of timing advance at cruise and I doubt Indy would have done that unless by accident (xml error for instance)
Modding or Tuning questions for your Lancer, RA or EVO? drop me a line!
http://BeebleTune.com

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:43 pm

update:

we went even richer on the cruising range, like where talking 12-13.5 air fuel while cruising, all it did was still glow the same...he does not want to go past 14.7 while cruising any more than that you can start to run lean....

Check the exhaust seems to be flowing correctly...going to pull it off tomorrow while its getting its usual service and check the cat....

Could someone PM me the stock air/fuel, ignition, cold start, and WOT maps.....I mean a UN-TOUCHED map....we want to compare it... because unfortunalty when i bought my car it had already been tuned and the stock maps where all gone...we just want to compare it and see how off it is

Im willing to pay someone in sydney region if they can print out the stock maps for me

Beeble
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Beeble » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:59 pm

send me your email, I will send you a stock rom and print out the oem fuel and timing maps for you

Modding or Tuning questions for your Lancer, RA or EVO? drop me a line!

http://BeebleTune.com

Return to “Evolution X Performance”