Lancer VRX/GTS

evo x dyno tuned....b4 and after result

Postby scott_drake » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:27 pm

Just got the evo tuned....

Mod List:

Perrin Full Exhaust
AEM Cold Air Intake
Walbaro 255 Fuel Pump
HKS EVC 5 Boost Controler (ditched the 3 port grimspeed for various reasons if anyone want to by $100 brand new not used)

Pull intake,exahust NO CONTROLER.. 4th gear 41deg room temp

193KW 27-28psi
480NM aggrisve climb and aggrive drop
BOOST SPIKING at 27-28PSI then die down very quick
Airfuel 11.5 with spike, then 12.5 after spike then nicley down to 11's

After tune with controler 4th gear room temp 43deg

201KW 23PSI then nice taper off to 19psi
425NM steady climb all the way through
Airfuel 11.8 then taper down steady to 10.8s-10.9

Its feels almost N/A when i drive from how smoothly the power comes on

We done a dyno pull when the room temp got to 38deg and got 208kw...The guy said with the colder weather i will make few extra kw....But he said we have tuned your car in the EXTREME condition's and came out very nicely

What are your thoughts and opinions on this tune from b4 and after?

bye2u
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bye2u » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:30 pm

where did you have it tuned?

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:33 pm

IS Motor Racing in Rockdale, Speak to INDY and say the guy with the BLACK evo 10 sent you.....he knows me

And might it was all at the WHEELS not at the HUB or flywheel...and he claims hes dyno reads lower than others

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:39 pm

all i have to say is forget MRT and Autotech...INDY KNOWS HES STUFF..If you just want a TUNE $770

I got the Tune, Fuel Pump, and HKS Boost controller all done for $1950...MRT Wanted to charge $2000 just for a tune because i have a aftermarket exhaust and intake....I spoke to a guy who tuned the cars and asked him about the MAF airflow plausaibily code, n he said he never ever heard of it and what cuases it....So i nicely hung up the phone.....alot of people recomend me to INDY...Go down and have a look man....messy workshop but man he knows hes stuff and all the boys their know what their doing...these guys build time attack cars...and after spending a day at the shop some of the cars these guys work on will make your mouth DROP

Slash
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Slash » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:15 am

GSR or SST?

Full Exhaust, Drop in filter + 3 port should have you at 220wkw-230wkw

a filter + 3 port would get you around 200wkw

What are your reasons for dropping the 3 port and going for a Boost controller?

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:25 pm

its a GSR manual....please remember we where tuning in 42deg + room temp plus the polution.....Even i called the quits after 4hrs in that heat....we made 220kw from memorey but i did not like the lag....the car feels N/A now...its just point and shoot with the throttle.....it sometimes doesnt even feel like a turbo in the car thats how smooth it is....im going to get a retune when the weather is a bit colder.....we where tuning in the MOST EXTREME temps.....reason for diting the 3 port was i have seen tooo many mixed reviews of it....and its not as good as a EBC.....3 ports pnp just spike a bit less then stock....thats why i went for a ebc.....i can adjust how much boost at what rpm etc......i can make the boost come on at 4k and hit 22-23psi and make 260kw......but i dont want that...ill post up the b4 and after dyno sheets and you will understand...

i bought the car with intake and exhaust.....the old owner did have a boost controler in it and removed it then probaly did not get it retuned that is what caused the boost spiking so HIGH

zedd82
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby zedd82 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:52 pm

I've heard nothing but bad things about using a EBC (used to have one myself and nothing but problems with it). They can cause the car to throw heaps of codes. 3 ports are much more reliable because they are controlled by the ECU and so the ECU then knows what is going on with boost.
Club CJ's fastest and most powerful Ralliart 349.8kw/ 469hp atw 12.068s 187km/h

Beeble
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Beeble » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:23 pm

it's because Indy doesn't know how to tune a 3 port :)
he uses ebc on 7/8/9/10s ... always has done, always will do. it's just how he does things. nothing wrong with it on a manual evo 10. on an SST it messes them up bigtime. and it's what, about $500-700 for a good EBC Vs $120 for a 3 port.
both are controlled on a per-rpm basis. there honestly is no difference if you know how to tune for them.

the ISMR dyno reads quite low, so the power readings are not too bad
what is most important is - you are happy with your tune!! :) that makes it money well spent.

FWIW - evo 10 can hit 25psi at 3300rpm and hold it until 6250, then it drops off. and that is in 3rd gear. earlier in 4th.
it is quite possible your mivec maps are 100% stock, they really help with spool ;)
Modding or Tuning questions for your Lancer, RA or EVO? drop me a line!
http://BeebleTune.com

Beeble
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Beeble » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:31 pm

Oh and i'll buy your 3 port!!

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:27 pm

zedd82 wrote:Ive heard nothing but bad things about using a EBC (used to have one myself and nothing but problems with it). They can cause the car to throw heaps of codes. 3 ports are much more reliable because they are controlled by the ECU and so the ECU then knows what is going on with boost.

depends what boost controler...My mate had issues with a turbosmart, greedy, n a few other cheaper ones and had nothing but problems....when he went to HKS he said it was the best thing he ever done...i since have not had any issues..Iim going to go bigger turbo set up later on down the track and thought to me self i might aswell just get a good/top of the line EBC and have it over and done with....as for codes, we had NONE....we disabled a few things of the MAF sensor after the tune.... becuase he knew tune or no tune i was going to keep getting those codes....So he remaped and recoded the whole ecu custom to my mods

scott_drake
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby scott_drake » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Beeble wrote:its because Indy doesnt know how to tune a 3 port :) he uses ebc on 7/8/9/10s ... always has done, always will do. its just how he does things. nothing wrong with it on a manual evo 10. on an SST it messes them up bigtime. and its what, about $500-700 for a good EBC Vs $120 for a 3 port. both are controlled on a per-rpm basis. there honestly is no difference if you know how to tune for them. the ISMR dyno reads quite low, so the power readings are not too bad what is most important is - you are happy with your tune!! :) that makes it money well spent. FWIW - evo 10 can hit 25psi at 3300rpm and hold it until 6250, then it drops off. and that is in 3rd gear. earlier in 4th. it is quite possible your mivec maps are 100% stock, they really help with spool ;)

yeh that is true about indy not liking the 3 ports, he does know how to tune them...he showed me a 10 dyno graff with a 3 port and showed another with EBC and i mist say they where pretty darn close....but i did research with the 3 port it also adapts to the ecu wich the ecu adapts to the conditions....he said a ebc will give you the no nonsense headache free tuning posibilitys....Right now the car feels N/A...but im going to get him to make it more aggrissive (MAKE THE CAR HAVE LAG then boost, compared to now wich is NO LAG) just point and shoot....i miss that throw back feeling now.....as apose for the 3 port send me a PM with your contact number and well go from there....thanks

Beeble
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Beeble » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:46 pm

I agree the X feels "slow" because the torque kinda comes on smoothly, as opposed to some other turbo cars where the torque hit is more obvious.

I guess the advantage of the 3 port and ecu control, is you can set it to always obtain a certain boost pressure (psi based, which is how most EBCs work) , or you can set it to always obtain a certain Load (which the EBC can NOT do).
The advantage being, with different weather, eg very cold or very hot, 25psi of boost can mean a lot of change in the amount of air going through the engine and turbo - as the density of air changes so much.
With Load based boost setups, the ecu will vary the boost depending on weather conditions, to always hit the same amount of airflow going through the motor.

There are pros and cons of both methods of course.
I am yet to see cons of 3 ports Vs an EBC - but ultimately you go with what your chosen tuner recommends. Indy loves EBCs, gets good results with them, so you do what he tells you!
The 3 port is very versatile though.... I have tuned cars running over 40psi on big turbos and the control is perfect, just as good as with stock turbos at 22psi.

But anyone reading this with an SST - as previously mentioned, do NOT use an EBC because it completely screws things up. On a manual, they work great :)

Strez
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Strez » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:06 pm

But anyone reading this with an SST - as previously mentioned, do NOT use an EBC because it completely screws things up. On a manual, they work great

I wish I knew this a few days ago. The powertune guys were just up here and they put on a new fuel pump a HKS EVC boost controller and tune, and i've been getting the damn engine light whenever its on high boost. The guys are looking at the tuning map. I may have to let them know it may be because of the SST. I had the option of going a 3 port or the HKS. Didn't think it'd mess it up.
2012 Ralliart Lancer
- UR Catback
- Relocated Battery
- Gruppe M Carbon Intake
- Grimmspeed 3port
- Beebletooned
- BC BR Coilovers
- Whiteline Swaybars
- TE37SL

Beeble
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Beeble » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:10 pm

^^ you can tune around it. they just have to program the ecu as if you were using ecu-based boost control.
yeah PT love the HKS units aswell :)

what did you need a fuel pump for?? you have the same one as the evo 10, it's good for almost 300kw on 98 fuel.

Strez
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Strez » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:16 pm

was part of a little tuning package they had whilst they were up here. Got it all done together. Ohk, well hoping they will figure it out soon they took the maps back to sydney to work on and are getting them fixed up and sent back so they can load them again and then everything will be good.
2012 Ralliart Lancer

- UR Catback

- Relocated Battery

- Gruppe M Carbon Intake

- Grimmspeed 3port

- Beebletooned

- BC BR Coilovers

- Whiteline Swaybars

- TE37SL

Return to “Evolution X Performance”