***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

For those who are interested in CVT Turbos

CJ Lancer Turbo Performance Modifications & Information.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

just SC
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

For those who are interested in CVT Turbos

Postby just SC » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:13 pm

Some dude from Project Lancer (who actually dwells in Melbourne)

Just quoting what he says:

"Hi, I am from Melbourne Australia. I currently own a 08 VRX (GTS outside Australia) Lancer CVT, with an evo x turbo setup. i am re-building it as a project car given the fact that i work 14 hr shifts 4 days on, 4 days off. I have about 10 yrs experience working with Modifying lancers and although i initially bought the car with no intention of rebuilding/tuning or turbo charging it into the hybrid Frankenstein it has now become, i could not resist the challenge after hearing about so many failed attempts. A family friend owns a wreckers here in Melbourne so i have had the pleasure of seeing the after effects of many obliterated transmissions. surprisingly only two out of the 11 we have inspected were from turbo charged cars and all of the transmissions were heat damage related. some with damage to belt and all with damage to the chain. the fact that their is no companies that offer upgrade parts for the cvt transmission is a f**king pain in the arse for anyone who runs up high temps. for the past 12 months we have been working to correct the heat problems with some promising results. i almost would kill to find a company that is willing to custom build these 2 parts to a better quality as i believe it would result in some serious hp gains. i have a positive attitude towards this, I am open-to and would welcome and any serious suggestions.

these are just some of my mods

evo x turbo
evo x downpipe
evo x intake
megan turbo manifold + outlet
custom throttle body
evo x fuel rail setup
evo x fuel injectors
evo x fuel pump + assembly
brian crower valve springs + retainers
brian crower valves
arp head studs
Manley Pistons 4B11T
custom rods (FORGED)
evo x hks ssqv3 bov
mishimoto evo x intercooler
mishimoto radiator
brian crower cams 272
cat test + centre pipe
hks high power exhaust"

So supposedly our transmission can handle it. I am quite keen in this build but too poor to take up the challenge at the moment.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Lingua factiosi, inertes opera... .

There's a reason why no one has done it. I have a sneaking suspicion as to whom this person is.

Unless someone gives you the parts for free, it's not quite financially worthwhile. For all the time and money you need to do it, you're better off just buying the real thing.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

just SC
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby just SC » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Guess you are right. With the money spent on these part its better to invest on a ralliart on the first place.

Welps just posted this for interesting reading I suppose.

nixonx
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby nixonx » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:46 pm

Carsales is slowly starting to show evo x's for 38,000 in 6 months upgrades like this would be considered... wasteful.

just SC
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby just SC » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:18 am

Right now on car sales the cheaps evox is an MR LOL!

AngealVRX
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby AngealVRX » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:48 am

yeah, that Welp has built a faster car than a stock evo x for thousands less than you would pay for a ralliart. why would that be appealing to anyone?
anyone can buy an evo and add bolt ons. i have an evo ix, added a few bolt ons and tuned it at over 400whp. took me less than 3 months and their was no real skill involved. building up and fine-tuning the vrx has taken 12 months and still counting. i paid a good price for the vrx and a good price for the upgrades. installed and tuned myself the car and mods have cost less than 25k all up so far. that is why i did it

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:37 pm

You've been asked twice now in your thread for dyno results and have ignored the questions.
And regardless, more power doesn't mean faster, especially since its FWD.

You haven't listed any suspension modifications, or any brake upgrades, so I'd expect that your car would get obliterated by an evo around a track, even if it is more powerful.

If you're going to start getting defensive and saying your car is quicker than an evo x then you should provide some evidence. People would be very interested in seeing some dyno graphs and trap times.

AngealVRX
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby AngealVRX » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:10 pm

if someone called you a welp you would get defensive too. i think that if i posted some old dyno results it wont mean much given the fact that they could come from anywhere or easily be altered to read out what i want them to. i dont trust any dyno results i see over the web and you shouldn't either. so far i have only put mechanical work into the areas i listed so i probably would get obliterated around a track. im in the process of getting the under-body braces, tiebar and strut bars from rpw then im going to get some d2 coil-overs. i was looking at some big-brake package upgrades but i think they are way overpriced for what you get and i was thinking that it would be worth looking into finding some older compatible model of car that i could adapt to fit. i was looking at the front brakes on my evo ix and don't see why they would not be compatible with a bit of effort.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:18 pm

The cheapest and best option is a twin piston caliper brakes off a CJ Ralliart or V6 Outlander. They are a direct bolt on our cars. They are best fitted with after market discs.

I posted a set for sale at Eddy wreckers.

AngealVRX
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby AngealVRX » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:05 am

thanks for the tip and the site. il look into them.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:18 am

This thread was here before you joined, there was no reason to get defensive at a comment not specifically directed at you...

First you said your car is faster than an evo x and now you're saying its not... Ok then...

And I'd trust a dyno graph more than I'd trust the word of someone who just joined and immediately started claiming they're faster than an evo with nothing but power upgrades...

AngealVRX
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby AngealVRX » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:36 am

this thread was actually started and directed at me. im the project lancer member this thread is about. i saw this site linked at projectlancer.net. my account name their is angeal, look it up and read some of my posts. the car is faster, however it probably would not be as quick around a track, due to the lack of the extras i have not added. put on a straight strip, the outcome would be different.

just SC
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby just SC » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:20 am

AngealVRX wrote:if someone called you a welp you would get defensive too. i think that if i posted some old dyno results it wont mean much given the fact that they could come from anywhere or easily be altered to read out what i want them to. i dont trust any dyno results i see over the web and you shouldnt either. so far i have only put mechanical work into the areas i listed so i probably would get obliterated around a track. im in the process of getting the under-body braces, tiebar and strut bars from rpw then im going to get some d2 coil-overs. i was looking at some big-brake package upgrades but i think they are way overpriced for what you get and i was thinking that it would be worth looking into finding some older compatible model of car that i could adapt to fit. i was looking at the front brakes on my evo ix and dont see why they would not be compatible with a bit of effort.

Hi,
I was the one who posted this up here for people to check out.

What I meant by welp is "Oh well", i.e. oh welps, cant be helped.
I didnt mean it as a derogatory term towards you and I apologise if you have read it otherwise.

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:57 pm

Dont worry too much, people are very sceptical when it comes to any forced induction FWD CJ Lancers...

Ive heard of your car and have also heard of another car down here in Melbourne that was running a partial Evo build with an aftermarket turbo kit. That car blew its engine due to it not being tuned properly (know who the owner is, car was just a toy with no real value).

Not many people are welcoming of turbo FWD CJ's for some reason. There are more out there in Australia though; last word I heard on numbers it was around a dozen of them with the most recent one being just a few weeks back.

With the CVT you cant tune it as well as the manual but have a look out there for an Evo transmission; there are some out there both here in AU and overseas.

As for dyno results though; all that is is just a number. It is by no means any indication of how the car will respond out in the real world...

As for specifics with the CVT though, speak to either RRM in the US or Chasers down here in Melbourne. Of the few turbo CJ FWD here in VIC I think one of them was handled by them not sure.
MZG1 leader

AngealVRX
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby AngealVRX » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:20 am

yeah, i have tried messaging rpw and rrm about altering the ratios of the cvt or possible upgrades. rrm didn't answer me back at all and rpw didn't answer my cvt tune related question but did answer all my other questions that weren't cvt related witch was nice of them. thanks for the chasers site, i did not think we had anyone down in melbourne that provided this type of service. i have a friend who waits to see how my projects pan out b4 joining in himself and he has recently bought a cj to start a similar project of his own so we might see what chasers are able to do.
And i know exactly what you mean about the dyno numbers. putting the vrx to stock evo x boost levels obviously gives you higher numbers but since its still a work in progress and lacking in certain areas, it felt unsafe to drive on the roads for a daily driver so i reduced it. anyways theirs speed cameras everywhere here and i wont be pushing it on a track unless they create some cvt internal mods so im happy with the way it is now.

Return to “2008+ Turbo Performance”