***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

For those who are interested in CVT Turbos

CJ Lancer Turbo Performance Modifications & Information.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:01 am

Be very careful in pushing our cars up to the stock Evo boost level. On stock internals they can not handle it. Our blocks are strong but not our internals. Even with my car we have had to hold off on running it at higher boost levels just for reliability.

Our cars can safely take from 5-8pounds on stock internals, forged gives us a little room to head further but the tune is everything in our cars. We can have all the parts needed in the world but if that tune is not done effectively we can kiss our engines goodbye.

As for internal mods for the CVT; not sure. Ever thought of getting an LSD to even out the power to both wheels?

It may not be much but might be enough to save your transmission.
MZG1 leader

AngealVRX
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby AngealVRX » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:53 am

i know what you mean. i started with low boost and slowly tuned upwards using 2 different actuators and with the evo x fuel setup and an ams fpr from word go as i was worried about the damage a lean tune would do. but i don't have any-other maps to compair mine with so ive been going up inch by inch for the past year. i have upgraded most of the internals but the crank and short block are still stock though and i dont personally know of anyone in Australia that bores them out. i saw an lsd on the rpw website and was interested. think they're around $1600? but i have just finished with getting the cooling under control in the past 2 months so i have not really started upgrading other areas of the car. but im gonna look into it.

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:38 am

The crank no one is 100% certain on. I went a full stroker kit for mine but wont be installing until I get the bearings (just waiting on stock to come in).

With the LSD at RPW, speak to David at RPW and you can get it a few hundred cheaper.

As for the block; that all depends on what your planning on doing. If your planning a stripped out racer then upgrading the entire block is a must but if you are building something that has the weekday practicality and weekend fun then the stock block will be strong enough. It can take more than our internals but not Evo levels.

Where abouts in Melbourne are you? As for boring; I think I know of a place that can do it...

What Im doing with my one is different to yours but most of the stuff can translate over to as turbo build.
MZG1 leader

bryzabone
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bryzabone » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:08 am

Any more info on the 'heat damage' to CVT's?
From my understanding, the newer cj's had the trans cooler removed!
What temps/load we talking here? for N/A cars not-so-modded...(spirited, ehm, driving)
For every "Drive Safely" sign, shouldn't there be a "Resume Normal Driving" sign?

mitsuturbo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mitsuturbo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:40 am

Angeal could you please post some pics of ur engine bay plus some of ur intercooler(I'm about to purchase the same one and want to see if the quality is any good).
thanks, :wink:

Return to “2008+ Turbo Performance”