***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Supercharging your Lancer (basic info)

CJ Lancer Turbo Performance Modifications & Information.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

bernardo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby bernardo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:31 pm

I wonder if its legal to drive around with such modification ?
Insurance ?
Cops ?

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:20 pm

I don't think so Bernard.
Just because superchargers are uncommon doesn't mean they're any worse than a turbo or anything.
And cops won't know its there :P although his car already looks like a huge cop magnet. Haha.

Insurance though. Hmmmm.

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:49 pm

MattyvR wrote:
Mitch wrote:hey tim i apologise for what i am saying but when do you finish on your p plates mate i am not trying to be an pain in the arse or anything just want you to keep your p plates in mind with these kind of engine performance mods actually go against your p plates and if you do get pulled over by the police on a RBT or anything and if they want to inspect your car mate just want you to be aware mate but if you will be off your p plates by the time you do this mate then that will be fine dont get me wrong this Mod will make your car a one awesome and unique sounding car i do look forward to seeing how it turns out

You already asked this, I think he would of already thought about it...

I saw the question but never answered. By the time I get up to actually putting the charger in I will most likely have a second car (NA Supra so I can supercharge that one too :D ) . Also when I do get up to that time I will only have 6-8months left on my P's. Next year one day after my birthday I off my P's!! Worked that one out well, failing my license the first time paid off. Failed it in spectacular fashion though haha... Or if its on before I have second car just play dumb, say its the A/C unit.

As for is it legal, well is driving around with turbo legal?? I made a post about 'legal' stuff in the carbon fiber thread and most likely this form of heavy modifications will fall into that category. It is not illegal you just may not be able to register it without an engineers certificate. Not being able to register something and illegal are two completely different things.

The SC kits for the Magna/380 are better options as they have the longer drive pulley extension from the centrifugal charger meaning less chance of sacrificing your A/C. That piece alone is a few hundred and getting it in a kit does potentially save a few hundred in getting one custom made if you come up short with another kit.

Sprintex is who I am going with to get my charger. We are working out which unit will be best for a CJ Lancer application and to see if any of the other parts in their kits for their other cars can help out in the Lancer before I put deposit down. Sprintex offer twin screw chargers which must be bolted up to your intake manifold and your intake. Sprintex chargers are some of the best chargers on the market and are capable of many gains.

With larger injectors, fuel rail and pump. Initially no. As all SC's are low boost, there is no need for them if you keep them as low boost. Even though the SC is a low boost add-on, they are capable of high boost applications and when you do decide to do that then you have to go with far more extensive upgrading of your fuel deliveries and also your internals.

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:53 pm

Best of luck champ, I wish I understood half the stuff you are talking about. I find my 2L engine powerful enough for me at the moment.

It's good to see people pushing the boundaries with something completely different. If no one pushed to do something different we would be a very boring population and we would not be very far advanced.

Best of luck ;)

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:56 pm

So you're supercharging it and then not driving it? :wink:

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Yep not driving it :wink: If anyone does see a black and white Lancer with carbon everywhere that somehow keeps up with those much bigger cars with engines twice the size of it and these AWD turbo things maybe you just didnt take your medication that day as you didnt see anything :lol:

Honestly as far as most people are concerned; its a dressed up Lancer and they leave it at that

Mitch
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mitch » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:00 pm

ok i understand mate good luck and keep us all up to date with how it goes mate it will be one spectacular and exotic lancer

Rangdan
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Rangdan » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:14 pm

MY CJ Will be turboed in a few weeks got the intercooler yesterday and getting it all ready just waiting on the gauges external wastegate and ECU should be fun

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:10 pm

tjoz wrote:As for is it legal, well is driving around with turbo legal?? I made a post about 'legal' stuff in the carbon fiber thread and most likely this form of heavy modifications will fall into that category. It is not illegal you just may not be able to register it without an engineers certificate. Not being able to register something and illegal are two completely different things.

I would be very careful with these kinds of statements as there are people on these forums who will take them as gospel. If you have not registered your modifications, then you may (if you get caught) be defected, and according to Vic Roads - "If your vehicle has been identified to be defective by the Police or other enforcement agency, the vehicle registration can be suspended until you carry out repairs to rectify the defect." Now in most cases depending on your mods and attitude to the police at the time, you may not have this issue, however if you are unlucky then you will essentially be driving without registration which IS illegal.

Given the amount of time, effort and money you're putting into this project, I hope you do the right thing by yourself and make sure it's 100% legal so you can enjoy your car without having to worry about the police.

Mr Charisma
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Mr Charisma » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Good luck with it all mate :)

I know people many moons ago who looking into SC the 3.5litre V6 Magna Engine and did it with very positive results. This then moved to the 3.8litre V6 in the 380 with very impressive gains!

Both sound like a jet when in full flight.
Love that car!

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:40 am

Hey dude, out of curiosity, does your car get much police attention now? I had an old car that got pulled up once a week for "random" breath tests and a careful looking over from Mr Plod. Just curious whether you get much of that at the moment?
GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:03 pm

Surprisingly Ive had no police attention at all. Ive even driven it in its current state to police stations and they look at the car but dont say anything. The ones that look are the ones that arent in my area. The police in my area have seen the car plenty of times.

Got more info on chargers regarding boost and everything else. Might be some good news for anyone else that may want to try something other than turbo if they sit and wait for a little bit...

The biggest issue with fitting the charger to the Lancer is the charger/throttle body relation. The throttle body has to be fitted to the back of the charger (for twin screw chargers). We are going through possibilities with using parts from the Landcruiser charger kits to see if it can make installation easier.

With regards to boost, if you are running more than 5pounds of boost you will need to use an intercooler as from that point on charger will generate heat quickly. We also got some ETA figures on outputs with the chargers too.

Also some of the optional parts listed in the first post are changing over to must haves. First ones are intercoolers if anyone runs more than 5 pounds of boost and also LSD shifts to a must have. If you fit an LSD to the car it completely changes how it drives; without the LSD you wont be able to feel the full extent of the charger and also how the car responds to it. Fitting the LSD completely changes the nature of the car. For any form of forced induction on a FWD, the LSD is a must have. Without it your only getting half the picture. So save up your money and get the Quaife units from RPW :D

Charging the Lancers has a huge amount of potential, there is a bit of interest in the whole project and something may come out of it towards the end.

Nuliaj
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Nuliaj » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Out of curiosity what is your target hp?

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:57 pm

We are going for 150kw running between 7-9pounds of boost and going to see if we can increase the rev limit to 7000rpm. The charger will get us to around 135-145 depending on how much boost we run and the rest of the mods will be the lead up to 150. Confident though we will be able to pass 150kw, its capable of a hell of a lot more if we swap to the larger charger.

We going for the S5-150 unit, that will get us to the 150 mark. The 150 unit will fit in the Lancer no problems but the next one up (the 210 unit the one I originally wanted to go with) will have to alter the bonnet to fit. The 210 unit is capable of 175kw+ running more boost and increasing max rpm.

The goal is not for a little dyno warrior. The goal is moderate power in a lightweight platform with a drastic change to its original characteristics. Same goal as the Supra project which is after the Lancer is finished. The Supra project is already mapped out :twisted:

FFEEkY
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby FFEEkY » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:00 pm

Sounds awesome mate, cant wait to see some progress on this! :D
Warning! Mouth often in gear well before brain!

Return to “2008+ Turbo Performance”