***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

na turbo kit feedback??

CJ Lancer Turbo Performance Modifications & Information.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

LanSIR
INACTIVE Member Account

na turbo kit feedback??

Postby LanSIR » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:40 pm

Is there any one that had the bolt on turbo kit on their CJ 2.0 Lancer for more than 6 months and can give us some feedback on their experience and damages to car?? Can't find 2010 topics on this.
The image in my mirror seems to be losing.

LanSIR
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby LanSIR » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:08 am

I know about the forged internals on the market but I would like to know if anyone had the guts to slap on the turbo kit on their na 2.0 4B11 lancer without strengthening the engine and drove it for a long period. I am burning to import the RRM bolt on kit and do the low boost thing to get that extra 50hp. Would deff be the first in my country with one on his GLS Lancer. I saw the threads on the guy that did it in 2009.
Oh - and hi to all other fellow cj club members- I'm spanking new to the club and from Namibia-Africa - thanx for having me! Great reading !

matchstick
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby matchstick » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:47 am

Here is what DJHardcore from 9glancers.com who has had the RRM turbo installed for a bit over a year has to say...

"I seem to be getting more pm's from people wanting to know how random stuff is holding up with my Turbo kit. So hopefully when noobs or potential turbo buyers have questions...they'll see this thread before PM'ing me. |cool|

Brakes: Still holding up strong. Prior to purchasing this turbo kit my mileage was at about 25k+, I had taken my car to several down-hill canyon runs (mostly turnbull canyon) and I've yet to experience brake fade. There were also times i've taken 9g members (you all know who EXACTLY you are) for quick 1st through 2nd gear rips and was able to stop pretty much on a dime each time i had to stop. My plans for now are to buy another set of OEM brake pads once my brakes start to wear-down. Why no brake kit or better rotors? ? ? ? ? Because as stated above there really is no need to supplement the car with stronger brakes. At least in my eyes.

Clutch: You'll notice not too long into owning the kit that your clutch (we're talkin about 5 speeds here) will begin to slip in certain gears. It's not completely apparent 247 but in time as you drive more and more you'll realize there are some moments when you'll be in boost and you'll feel a slight hesitation in power delivery. So be aware that pretty much any turbo kit (wether rrm, extremeboost, another kit....) will be more powerful than your stock OEM clutch can handle. Being that I don't race or look for "an edge" or "advantage" on the streets to race lame faggots, I'm actually ok with the stock clutch being so shitty until i see some competitive pricing on clutches. So be aware folks that the turbo won't make your car undriveable but you will experience some sort of hesitation due to the increased power.

Under-Hood Temp's: I habitually turn my digital dial to monitor the temp's because Rob told me i should be wary in case the temp shoots' up or anything. Even with the AC on in traffic on a hot day my meter has YET to go more than halfway through the temp range in the digital guage. In case that confused someone take a look at the digital read-out for your car's temperature.....The filled area never goes past the halfway point. at all. Some may remember im currently looking for a hood but thankfully the temp's are not so hot that it necessitates a need for a more effecient hood.

if anyone else wants to know how any part is holding up post it here. i felt the need to address those 3 topics because these are the more frequent asked questions.

thank you drive thru"

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:47 am

So he basically tells us nothing...

Get better brake pads, problem solved.
Get better clutch, problem solved.

I wana know about strain on engine, how much boost its running, what power its putting out and if a piston is going to go out the side of the block.
>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!
"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:12 am

He's told us that his brakes hold up stopping from 80 to 0 just as well with a turbo as they did without it. Great info! ... I'm realy curious how his seat covers are holding up since he put the turbo in, and whether he has floor mats. :P

PS lanSIR ... your avatar is unnecessarily huge :)
GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:21 am

draevon wrote:He's told us that his brakes hold up stopping from 80 to 0 just as well with a turbo as they did without it. Great info! ... I'm realy curious how his seat covers are holding up since he put the turbo in, and whether he has floor mats. :P

PS lanSIR ... your avatar is unnecessarily huge :)

i wonder if his windshield is going ok also. with all that extra wind, hitting it because of the turbo.

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:10 am

He does tell us he drives like a pussy, because I've cooked my stock pads, had fade with Bendix HDs and I'm still only a 2L N/A, plus the heat from my EBC reds I get after a decent run I know would cook stock pads...

But in regards to the OP, I would look at suspension, brake,tyre and exhaust/intake upgrades which coupled with a ECU reflash should give you more than enough out of the CJ (20-30HP I would assume is possible with a decent tune and supproting mods). To spend that extra few grand for hardly anymore (and get turbo lag anyway, not to mention the dodgey 5th injector setup) just isn't worth it in my books...

Even if you do get the RRM turbo kit you still are going to need better tyres, brakes, suspension and exhaust to get the most out of your car. it's no point having a turbo bolted on if it still cant slow down quick or handle a corner well. Unless of course you want to be a red light warrior and race Commodore P-platers off from lights....

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:10 am

^ yeah its all the little things you need to be wary of when fitting a turbo kit.

P.s... our car stock is faster then comonwhore p platers at the lights :)

smithsy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby smithsy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:17 am

3.8L Ecotec we are about on par with or a tad faster, depending on how harshly you want to drop the clutch. 2.4L should do it easily though...

3.6L VZ would be a close call, but on paper the VZ should be slightly quicker. (2.4L should be about on par)

3.6L VE should easily beat a 2L and 2.4L off from the mark.

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:12 pm

Don't know about the new new comos, but the VZ's got nothing.
My mate has as acclaim and he cant keep up.

Also the old 5lt V8's have 20ish KW less per tonne so i rkn we could beat them also but have not been able to test my theory.

LanSIR
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby LanSIR » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:41 am

Thanx for the "quote" matchstick. Appreciate all the replies.
Here comes a few questions for the clued-up guys (and girls off course) on the stock na 2.0 engine with bolt on turbo.
Does the GTS also have a resin manifold like the GLS that we get here ?(the only one available around here) .... If you take it slow to say 5000rpm (without boosting) and keep it there for long distances(500 miles non stop) - will the na 2.0 4B11 still be OK or does the boosting start when right rpm reached (even if reached slowly) ?
I am waiting on a reply from SRT on when their turbo goes on the market - will prob import theirs after reading srtlancer08's thread on 9glancers.
Any advise are welcome - except yours draevon "do you even know what that avatar means" ?

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:29 pm

Hey LanSIR

draevon isn't saying to change it or what it means, he is saying the picture is too big and you should make it smaller.

Blakey
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Blakey » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:50 pm

why would you only want to boost from 5000 rpm, your rev limiter is at 6700.

and yes all models besides ralliart and EVO have the plastic plenum (intake Manifold)
IF YOUR NOT LIVING ON THE EDGE YOUR TAKING UP TOO MUCH ROOM

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:34 pm

Fire something?

But yeah I was just commenting on the size, no biggie.

GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

tomtom
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby tomtom » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:59 pm

Blakey wrote:why would you only want to boost from 5000 rpm, your rev limiter is at 6700.

+1

Return to “2008+ Turbo Performance”