***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

XtremeBoost Garrett Turbo Kit for CJ 4B11 and 4B12

CJ Lancer Turbo Performance Modifications & Information.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Phoenix
INACTIVE Member Account

XtremeBoost Garrett Turbo Kit for CJ 4B11 and 4B12

Postby Phoenix » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:32 am

Hi guys, I'm just doing a little help for everyone that's in need of some heavy artillery for their CJ's. I thought it might be handy to have a semi-detailed guide on what you need to get everything up and going.

At the moment, this kit is for M/T only. They are developing a CVT kit, and it should be available VERY soon.

For those that are unaware...

XtremeBoost are selling full Turbo Kit's for the CJ. The parts list is as below:

T3 Garrett Super 60 Turbocharger
JGS 40mm wastegate
Custom Stainless Downpipe
Custom Bar & Plate for the FMIC
Custom Exhaust Manifold (Extractor/Headers)
Huge Front Mount Intercooler
14 Gauge Aluminum intercooler piping
4 Ply Silicone Fittings
V band clamps
Stainless Steel Clamps
HKS Super Sequential (SSQV) or Greddy Type RS BOV ( your choice )
Stainless steel oil feed line and return line
AEM filter
Upgraded Fuel pump

*All nuts and bolt/brackets to make the fitting.

Optional Power Options:

Full Aluminum Exhaust System (same one designed by XB for the Evo X)
Ceramic Coating on manifolds
Polished piping for that Fast n Furious look! :D
Full Engine Internals, consisting on heavy stuff like Forged Conrods, Cranks, Pistons etc.

What you will need for sure (not included):
An Ecu tuner, that is willing to tune an Evo X (suggestions of OpenECU, Haltech or ECUTEK)
A Boost Controller

Optional extra's that are recommended:
Bigger brake kit(D2 Racing make a 6 pot and 8 pot for the CJ but you'll need custom brackets which will cost you between $300 - $1,200 for front, and multiply that for rear. Note these are BRACKETS ONLY, not the cost of the brakes yet)

OR...

Ceramic Brake Pads (something like Endless SSS)
Cross Drilled or Slotted Brake Rotors
Braided brake lines
Turbo Timer

In order of importance:
Turbo Boost gauge
Innovate Wideband A/F Kit (anyone wanna buy a analog gauge off me! :D)
Fuel Pressure Gauge
Intake Manifold Pressure Gauge
Oil Pressure Gauge

Future upgrades:
Internals (above)
Rear braces and struts
Better tyres
Better Clutch (SPEC clutches are being sold for the CJ, but I know a place that can custom fit Exedy's in, hit me up for more info if you're serious ;) )

PM me if anyone genuinely wants to budget for a kit + setup.
Last edited by Phoenix on Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mah Ride: 2006 Hyundai Getz + 08 Lancer Bodykit

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:38 am

great info Phoenix,
+2

Hoggy
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Hoggy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:31 pm

Great info. Roughly what performance should you expect from these mods?

Phoenix
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Phoenix » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:09 pm

HOGGY wrote:Great info. Roughly what performance should you expect from these mods?

no worries. the dyno gains are under close "quarantine" for now, till the kit has been officially launched.

however, I can tell you, that with stock internals, and only 5 - 6PSI, the kit is putting out 225WHP. and thats just with a mild tune. if you buy the Turbo back exhaust as well, see those numbers go up more... the car has just SO much torque, it burns out on full throttle on 3rd/4th. They have pushed 12 - 14PSI with stock internals (not recommended for daily use) and got round abouts 245 - 260whp.

Frank (XtremeBoost owner) is pretty confident with more tuning, and forged internals, you will easily see sub 300's at the wheels or slightly over.

bear in mind, you WILL need some brakes and bars/braces for the back, of course... unless you're suicidal :D

As for me, I've opted for every "optional" part and add ons I've listed above, except for the Fuel and Oil Pressure gauge, Tyres, Clutch and Forged Internals. I'll try to find a clutch soon...

Hoggy
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Hoggy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:20 pm

Awesome! Interest how much the CVT box can handle, maybe need to switch to the dual clutch off the Evo

Phoenix
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Phoenix » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:21 pm

^ got a spare $7G handy? :D

cause thats how much it'll cost to get the tranny and all the components and cooling equipment. plus, you've got install fees. Not a pretty sight
Last edited by Phoenix on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hoggy
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Hoggy » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:26 pm

Thats what I figured. Bought the wrong car for serious power. Oh well - I have time to save for it! Or keep mine std as a daily and wait for my project car

Phoenix
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Phoenix » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:30 pm

^ true. not a car for serious power.

If you add the cost of a proper power pack, it will break out to the price of a mint 9 MR or 8 MR, if you add your car price.

Though, if you do everything slowly and properly, you'll be able to whip a stock 8/9/10, with less money. Still it'll always only be a Lancer, and not capable of surpassing the power of what a real Evo can do once modded.

just my 2 cents

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:58 pm

I'd have to agree with Phoenix on that one. The fact is, a stock Lancer to begin with, though you might be able to mod it to equal/faster than an Evo - its impossible to remake a modded Evo with the stock Lacner lol. If it wasnt for P plater laws in QLD I'd have just bought an old car an saved for an Evo anyway.                                                                            Phoenix - I'm not interested in doing that NOW, but I will be doing it in the future - say 2-3 years from now - so a budget would be good

Spacetingle
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Spacetingle » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:52 pm

you know your stuff phoenix..
your the turbo master lol
ImageSpacetingle - Under the Milky Way tonight

Phoenix
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Phoenix » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:23 pm

^ haha... thanks Space. I try... :D

Phoenix
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Phoenix » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:41 pm

Josh_Emerton wrote:I'd have to agree with Phoenix on that one. The fact is, a stock Lancer to begin with, though you might be able to mod it to equal/faster than an Evo - its impossible to remake a modded Evo with the stock Lacner lol. If it wasnt for P plater laws in QLD I'd have just bought an old car an saved for an Evo anyway.                                                                            Phoenix - I'm not interested in doing that NOW, but I will be doing it in the future - say 2-3 years from now - so a budget would be good

well put. Sure, I can give you a budget. Pretty accurate one as well. Please note, I've promised Frank I won't give out my price to anyone. Part of the "pre-order" agreement. All prices are based on todays rates, without shipping, installation and taxes:

FROM XTREME BOOST

Base Turbo Kit: USD$3,800
Evo X Custom Aluminum Exhaust (same upgrade model for X, and same for Turbo Lancer): USD$1,150
Forged Internal Upgrades: USD$1,225
Polished Piping: AUD$500
Ceramic coated manifold: USD$150

ELECTRONICS (Prices are for Defi, generally the most expensive but MOST accurate. They go black when you shut off the engine)
Turbo Boost Gauge, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure, Exhaust Temp, Intake Manifold Pressure Gauge: AUD$240 - $300 each

Control Unit: AUD$120
Greddy Profec B Spec II Boost Controller AUD$500
Greddy Turbo Timer: AUD$125

*note: you can opt for $25 gauges as well, but that would be at your own risk of course :)

BRAKES & HANDLING:

Toyo R888 Proxes: AUD$1400 fitted for 225/235 40/18" (Ozie... give them some LOVE!)
D2 Racing 6 Pot Front OR Rear (each): AUD$1,300 - $1,400

OR... alternative for a brake kit

Endless SSS Front Pads: AUD$275 (Used to be RRP $240, but exchange rates made them rise)
Endless SSS Rear Pads: AUD$275 (Used to be RRP $240, but exchange rates made them rise)
BREMBO (custom) Cross Drilled Rotors: AUD$295 each pair + custom fitting fees

If you want to get a brake kit, like a BREMBO or D2, custom brackets are $300 - $1,200 each pair, for front and back, why...? Because the 08 CJ Lancer ES/VR/VRX (possibly RA?) do not have brackets to hold 4 and 2 piston calipers like the Evo. Our calipers are floating 1 piston. Evo's are mounted.

Brake lines (braided) AUD$100 - $175 for good ones.

Full rear bars and braces (ULTRA RACING): AUD$1000+- for 4 to 5 bars
Custom welded braces and bars: AUD$significantly less. (I'm going for customs next year when I get more boost)

Installation costs...
To put it plainly, all the parts (or nearly, except for the gauges) are all just bolt on's. So, if you can change your oil and spark plugs (as Frank has told me... lol) you can definately install the kit yourself, just take it for a tune STRAIGHT after, and NOOOOOO boosting... I mean NOOOOO at all... ETA is 4 - 8 hours alone. Hop up parts will be extra time. (I'm not responsible if anyone... simply put...fucks up ;) )

EXTRA HORSEPOWER!!!
Evo X Hood $2,200
Recaro Seats $2000 - $3000
Sparco pedals....

lol kidding kidding...

Installation average prices from various shops around Sydney: AUD$800 - $1800 (ETA 1 - 2 days)

Tuning for ECUTEK (currently ONLY MRT in Sydney, and I think one more in WA): $1,595 (ETA 1 - 3 days)

Tuning with OpenECU (MEEK Performance are the only ones I know of so far, that are willing): $300 - $700 (1 - 3 days)

I highly recommend OpenECU as you can self tune later.

Wow.... I'm gonna stop now... lol!

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:40 pm

dude....... thats an awesome writeup.
Its sooo tempting, cept i got the lancer for some fuel economy after my 2.5lt Twin Turbo Soarer..... hmmmm......................................
>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!
"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

Phoenix
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Phoenix » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:25 pm

^ Heya Bobby! Actually, your fuel economy still stands very close, if not identical to when before you turbocharged it. Why? Simple... Your Soarer was a twin turbo, which pretty much spools up your smaller turbo most of the time during the low rev's.

With this turbo kit (single Garrett), if you drive normally, like 2500 - 2800rpm shifts, you will not really notice any difference in fuel consumption.

Although... if you do have a heavy foot, and constantly run boost... thats a different story :-)

Oh, well, your baby is still new. Lots of time to make the big decision!

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:18 am

I'd recommend Maxxis Victra's rather than the Toyo R888's, but apart from that would I be right in saying that comes to approximately $15,700 inc installation and tuning w/ OpenECU.

Do you know of any OpenECU places in Cairns and/or Gold Coast?

For the benefit of others - thats about $17000 with the Toyos, or about $16,500 with the Maxxis.

Return to “2008+ Turbo Performance”