***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

XtremeBoost Garrett Turbo Kit for CJ 4B11 and 4B12

CJ Lancer Turbo Performance Modifications & Information.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

blanka
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby blanka » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:12 am

well if u got the money u can do watever u want i say

bigdave_1988
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby bigdave_1988 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:55 pm

i think someone is jealous of the plans for your car phoenix.... Ryan seriously i think you would have better luck trying to get blood out of a stone than change peoples minds about turbo charging the cj lancer.... need i remind you this site is called clubcj.net not insteadofthecjbuyavess.net site

Bobcat_GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Bobcat_GTS » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:28 am

Ryan_C wrote:
Phoenix wrote:ahh... the age old "why don't you just buy a ____"

why buy an evo x? why not buy a GTR instead? oh wait, what about a Porsche GT3? at the end of the day, it's my money, and my car. besides, I like my CJ. You're effectively telling everyone that has ever thought of modding a cheap car as a hobby, that it is pointless because "you could get ____" instead.

The stock 5 speed has already proved to handle over 500whp. All you will really need to change is the clutch. I suggest you do some research before posting personal opinions. :lol:

why did i say buy the evo x?? because clearly your trying to turn the ES into one...I am in no means discouraging modding but to think you can get an ES to match a Evo X or better yet the MR is really quite high in the sky, maybe you can match its straightline speed but I can see it holding or delivering power to the ground aswell as the Evo X through a twisty road...I reckon you could get a VE SS to handle better in a corner and put down a quicker quarter mile for less $$ than an "Evo-wannabe" ES :lol:

so unless your going to go AWD aswell whats the point...as it is the lancer torque steered in the wet (whilst a wheel alignment and camber pin into the drivers front has helped correct its pull to the right and lessened its torque steer, its still there) and has trouble putting the power to the ground... even in the dry it doesnt take much throttle to get the TSC to kick in...I'd really love to see how lethal it would be with 300WHP, with ASTC off it would be lethal....

I'd love to see the 5 speeder take 500WHP and actually see it last in the long term....

I think you could have made your point without using the words "clearly" and "Evo-wannabe" Ryan!

Good response Phoenix.

Think about this guys! Without the AWD system his car will will be a lot lighter than either an Evo X or RA. I believe the Lancer does better than either of the other two in the slalom testing since it weighs less. :wink:

Phoenix
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Phoenix » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:59 pm

^ yes, because we all know that's EXACTLY what I plan to do, drift my CJ on public roads at 100+ kms. Good job. :roll:
Mah Ride: 2006 Hyundai Getz + 08 Lancer Bodykit

Bobcat_GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Bobcat_GTS » Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:43 pm

parralegend wrote:^^ i Didn't say take it at 100kms a hour im just saying unless your going to grandma every corner thats the result

I just have to ask:

How do you figure that will be the end result of Phoenix putting a turbo in his Lancer?

M@verik
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby M@verik » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:29 pm

Ok let me clear a few things up now. That video isnt a peugeot even trying to drift (I hope). Kids these days are obsessed with drifting ever since F&F3. Anyway my friend has a peugeot and he has had 4 accidents with it (Also steering off the road) and his is stock. As a result I can tell u that anyone who wants to turbo that car has a death wish.

Back to the lancer. If u do turbo the lancer stock, it probably will have the same/similar effect. However it is quite easy to solve with coilovers and such. Yes it will never be as good as an evo in corners, but it wont be far off. Also it will devastate it in the stretches. I can tell u from experience that my little NA lancer is better at a gymkhana (which is all about handling) than a WRX, STI and modified parts thereof. Why? Yes those cars have AWD, but my car is lighter and doesnt have to deal with a thing called turbo-lag ;)

In short dont write off the lancer just yet. Yes an evo would be a better starting point, but we didnt buy evo's. With smarts and limits the lancer can be made to be extremely potent on any track.

Weight loss, tuning

Bobcat_GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Bobcat_GTS » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:52 pm

Well said M@verik! Thanks for your input!

Phoenix
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Phoenix » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:29 pm

a week ago, you spent about an hour questioning me on the turbo kit (which I have full record of right here), and now you've come to the conclusion that a turbo fwd won't be able to cut it, solely based on your own views?

all things aside, I just have to ask, besides your highly skilled street racing and traffic light drag abilities, have you got any PERSONAL track experience taking corners on asphalt, or are you just talking based on the views of friends/family and youtube?

M@verik
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby M@verik » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:44 pm

And thats ur problem right there. I have driven many cars on the tracks including lamborghini's, ferrari's, porche's, noble's, subaru's evo's... must I go on? If u think any FWD turbo car cant take a corner than how do the following do it? : Ford Focus ST, Audi, VW etc. They all have turbo FWD do they not? ;) Also im in the auto manufacturing business so I should know what im talking about. The reason people buy an evo to modify is simply coz they are a better starting point, nothing more. Also I can easily take my lancer through a sharp corner at over 120 as it is right now. A turbo will not make any difference there. I believe ur confusing turbo and torque steer. If u wish to get rid of torque steer there are many ways u can look up on the net.

Just my 2c. If u wish to criticize people further go ahead, but I suggest u first research this subject well.

Past: Nissan Xtrail 2.5

Current: Mitsubishi Lancer 2.0

Weight loss, tuning

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:49 am

+1 M@verik

Ahrr....The Great turbo Debate!
Ok. it ain't cool to criticize people for their modding wants and needs... everyone has opinions. And it seems some of these opinions can be very miss guided. VERY!
I only have one thing to say......its all about the "driver" .
that dude taking that corner in that stupid video that was posted, was dumb ass. had nothing to do with drifting FWD or what ever..

heres a classic Evo 8 crash video. AWD better in corners???
when you crash doing 50kmh in a slight corner... think again...!!!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3D6HXocBFlY

All comes down to proper judgement, throttle control, and the driver.
"THE DRIVER"..lol.
Doesn't matter if you have a Fiat Punto, or a Lambo LP640, in the end if you don't know the basics of common sense driving, you still fail big time.

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:41 am

just a few quotes of truth, from the Phoenix.......

Though, if you do everything slowly and properly, you'll be able to whip a stock 8/9/10, with less money. Still it'll always only be a Lancer, and not capable of surpassing the power of what a real Evo can do once modded.

^ Not sure on credibility of these posts, but just got word from some of the dudes at PL on the XtremeBoost thread. The stock lancer with the XB kit, running at 5- 6 PSI, has beat an Evo X...

we are all friends here...........friends encourage one another and give positive criticism, not total bullshit.

Warning! stop trolling parralegend...the crap stops rite now....

Phoenix
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Phoenix » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:00 pm

^ +1, thanks for bringing up my earlier points Ozman!

in regards to the thread, steering clear of off-topic discussions...

Brake's just in this morning!

As far as brakes go, I've only used a VR4 2pot front before, which I thought were pretty big. Never owned a set of Brembo's, but believe me on this... they are F-ing.... HUGE. The box weighed around 20KG's.

Condition looks spot on from what I see here, aside from the obvious chips and paint marks (which we are stripping and repainting anyway). Will clean them up today, and take them for a recond at RBS. Repaint them today or tomorrow. Going for a Metallic Charcoal (gunmetal) tone.

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:24 pm

lookin sweet bro...

Phoenix
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Phoenix » Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:44 pm

another one... after cleaning with water. piston's all look spot on now, with the dust and dirt gone.

going to go get some brake cleaner right now...

might wait for you to get here tomorrow Oz. just going to have these inspected, clean them, strip the paint and sand down.

Hoggy
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Hoggy » Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:33 pm

Happy New Year all, just read through this thread from start to finish and my personal view on it is that we should encourage questions and debate and filter out opinion/views from the facts.

We all also need to be mindful that the written word, especially if it is meant to be sarcastic or banter can be misunderstood and taken the wrong way.

The way I see it is that FWD cars cornering limit is lower than that of a 4WD BUT our CJ's are built to a budget and to satisfy a mass customer base where they need to balance handling and comfort. This results in itbeing a fair way from the limit of a race spec FWD car, as is the engine. Therefore these proposed mods will see a significant increase in speed. Add to it upgraded brakes, suspension and chasis mods you will see improved performance round bends too. That's not to say you can forget it is FWD and need to drive it as such.

PLEASE DON'T LET THIS POST GET NASTY OR DISCOURAGE PEOPLE TO DEBATE, the CJ is a relatively new car resulting in a limited amount of modification options and even fewer proven results. Phoenix I commend you for being one of the first to start this journey, I really hope you can get out of it what you think you can. I for one am happy you are the guinea pig and am watching to see how it turns out. I (a more risk averse person than you) can then make a more informed decision

Return to “2008+ Turbo Performance”