***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

NA ES - RA turbo installation question...

CJ Lancer Turbo Performance Modifications & Information.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

NA ES - RA turbo installation question...

Postby Zaphod » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:03 am

...or in plain English - can I install a Mitsubishi OEM RA (MY2010) turbo kit straight onto my (MY2014) NAES?

I read that as long as the boost is only 6-8 PSI that the standard ES engine is capable of handling the extra stress without modification.

Can anyone that has first-hand experience with these issues let me know how to go about doing it.

Also, as I'm looking at using OEM parts, how would this affect my warranty?

Cheers!
Last edited by Zaphod on Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:08 am

http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=14352 ... ght=denzza

It's been done, and.... yeah epic story.

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:09 am

i`ve seen 2 or 3 members do it, no problem, i also saw one member put a conrod through his block, a boost spike was accused of that i think or weak rods, apparently there was a couple of years with substandard conrods maybe
i dont know which years though soz.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

Tweak
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Tweak » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:16 am

Yes the rod thing is a big issue. There was a weaker batch that was used.
Here are a few websites
http://www.evolutionm.net/

and
upgarage.com
for cheap/good quality parts (you can find some real bargins here)
upgarage.com Its in Japanese but its worth the time/effort working it out.
Once u find something then you will need a broker. Ive used Jesse streeter in the past. You send him the url of the item and he comes back with a final price to you door. He's the cheapest and is used by alot of people

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:22 am

sleeper wrote:i`ve seen 2 or 3 members do it, no problem, i also saw one member put a conrod through his block, a boost spike was accused of that i think or weak rods, apparently there was a couple of years with substandard conrods maybe i dont know which years though soz.

...which is why I don't want to overcook it, thinking of more mid-range usefulness in traffic rather than banging up against the rev-limiter for that last couple of KW (I have a Mondeo turbo diesel as a company car and it's horribly slow initially, but the turbo spools up quickly and it's quite simply the best little diesel I've ever driven - nothing like any other diesel I've ever driven)

rokpapaziz wrote:http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=14352&highlight=denzza Its been done, and.... yeah epic story.

Cheers Marcus, thanks for the heads-up! - it looks like I'll be in for a marathon read tonight!

:-)
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

lantourismo
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby lantourismo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:38 am

There is plenty of evo and ralliart turbos around even on here occasionally, good luck

lantourismo
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby lantourismo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:48 am

Also it might void your warranty although OEM parts it is a big change. If you are really keen to do this call mitsubishi and get it from the horses mouth.
Also if your worried about Conrad's breaking perhaps there is supercharger option, they run low boost but that boost is delivered earlier which is what your after for getting about town

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:18 am

lantourismo wrote:Also it might void your warranty although OEM parts it is a big change. If you are really keen to do this call mitsubishi and get it from the horses mouth. ...

Yeah, which is why I'm seeing if it's possible without engine mods, sticking to OEM parts and then ensuring Mitsubishi are happy with it...

Jason-VR
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Jason-VR » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:34 am

If you only want it for street use then what you have is fine.
Turbo engines are great on tracks where you can rev it hard but the gain up high rev range is lost down low rev range where we mostly are when on the streets.
I look forward to seeing what you do with interest.

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:43 am

Learning ATM Jason - seems like a fairly inexpensive mod which will give me good results (if done properly) - I got inspired watching the three-part MCM videos last night...

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:56 am

I'm pretty sure the warranty will be voided as the Mitsu didn't intend the NA engine to be turbocharged. They'll probably refer you to a Ralliart. But that doesn't mean you can't do it.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:38 pm

yeah, warranty wont be available.
no way, no how :(

not that i`m trying to talk u out of it Martin, i`d love to sell u my RA discards ;)

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:36 pm

Any why didn't you buy a 2nd hand Ralliart instead of a MY14 Lancer?
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:57 pm

sleeper wrote:yeah, warranty wont be available. no way, no how :( not that i`m trying to talk u out of it Martin, i`d love to sell u my RA discards ;) [img:73b5ee0e2f]http://www.clubcj.net/img/images/20140302134151_DSCN0664.JPG[/img:73b5ee0e2f]

I saw your pic Steve and loudly uttered a work that rhymes with "duck... he's created a monster!" - I bet the exhaust is quite loud from that little lot...!

@Thorsten: ES $16490 driveaway... RA $39990 driveaway... I was initially after a cheap car as it looked like I was going to be laid off, fell in love with a second-hand blue Lancer ES @ $12990, a week later the new ones were on special @ $15990 (+$500 for metallic paint), so a 'cheap' car became a 'not cheap car' and then I discovered this place and it all went downhill rapidly... (and expensively, around $3 grand so far on bits & pieces)).

If I could wind back the clock, I probably would buy a 2-3 year old RA, but we don't always know these things at the time...

I did think about selling mine and making an offer of a nice white RS for sale in Adelaide, but...

...nah, can't think that way!

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:51 pm

I saw your pic Steve and loudly uttered a work that rhymes with "duck... he's created a monster!" - I bet the exhaust is quite loud from that little lot...!

thats the RA stuff Martin, what i pulled off :)

Return to “2008+ Turbo Performance”