***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

4b11 Ecu

CJ Lancer Turbo Performance Modifications & Information.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

soloryder711
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

4b11 Ecu

Postby soloryder711 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:14 am

Im posting this question in the turbo section as I need the information to clean up the tail end of my turbo build.

I have a 4b12 Ecu that was pulled from a wrecked vehicle and benched so that I may run whatever rom I would like.

Although our ecu's have an immobilizer where if it doesnt read the correct vin (where mine isnt because it is a different ecu) it will not even let the car turn over. Has anyone had any experience with this or have an answer to this issue?
2009 Es Sport
A wise man once told me
"We do not stop playing because we grow old;
We grow old because we stop playing."

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:51 am

You can edit the VIN with the MUT 3 tool and software.
There are other 3rd party tools however they will typically only write the VIN to one address space. Hence *may* have issues with the immobilizer.

It really depends on the exact issue you are having.
If you do engine swaps with a ECU with immobilizer fitted then changing the VIN is a must.

soloryder711
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby soloryder711 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:40 am

I have had my local shop (mitsubishi dealership) try using the MUT3 and it will not let it overwrite the vin or edit the ecu in anyway. If you have more details on how to accomplish this with MUT3 I would greatly appreciate it!
2009 Es Sport

A wise man once told me

soloryder711
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby soloryder711 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:43 am

Any one have Mut3 software?
2009 Es Sport

A wise man once told me

LiX
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby LiX » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:53 am

soloryder711 wrote:I have had my local shop (mitsubishi dealership) try using the MUT3 and it will not let it overwrite the vin or edit the ecu in anyway. If you have more details on how to accomplish this with MUT3 I would greatly appreciate it!

This usually happens when the ECU is for different market compared to dealers MUT III software.
Only VIN has to be rewritten. I'm using Evo X ECU in my turbo Lancer.

Jason-VR
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Jason-VR » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:21 am

There is no record of the vin number on the Ecu.
You need to use an ECU from the same car and flash a Evo X tables to it to make it to work.

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:53 am

Are you sure Jason? Every time I flash a new tune to my ecu (every other day at the moment) ecuflash shows the vin at the end of the sequence
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03
- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)
- Lowered on Kings
- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP
- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system
- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:02 pm

Go to system select, then ETACS, then coding to enter new Vin. Ecu stores original Vin and new Vin

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

soloryder711
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby soloryder711 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:35 pm

Thanks for all the input guys, Im going back to the dealer this week, I will pass on this information. I know it has to have the vin on there because it leaves my car dead in the water. I also tried using this ecu on a 4b12 which didnt work as well so I know it isnt just because I have the 2.0. The ecu I hav e is also out of a 5spd so I know it isnt a cvt code its looking for. The only thing it could be is because it is looking for the vin and cannot find it. Like I said ill be passing on the information to my mechanic to see what we can do.
2009 Es Sport

A wise man once told me

soloryder711
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby soloryder711 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:13 am

still no luck any other suggestion guys?
2009 Es Sport

A wise man once told me

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:59 am

I'm still leaning towards software of the MUT III program.
however note that CVT and manual ECU's are not the same.
There is extra wiring for the CVT to talk over CAN to the TCU, while the manual there are other sensors from the transmission that send directly to the ECU.
I'm talking about the physical ECU here.

Flashing the software i do not think will help you because the internal wiring and pin layout is different.

Also whilst you are talking about the VIN immobilizer function, has anyone thought to actually reprogram any keys into it?
The Mitsubishi Anti Theft system can code up to 8 keys into the system memory. When new keys are added all existing keys are deleted from the memory, so it is important to ensure all keys are with the vehicle at the time of programming.
The system is made up of ignition switch, key antenna, (mounted around the ignition switch), Fuel Pump and immobilizer ECU.
When programming new keys into the system, it is important to check that no fault codes are set, and to make sure any which are set, are erased or fixed as required.
Once key programming has been performed, then any fault codes set must be erased.
On later systems the immobilizer ECU is linked with the Engine Management ECU and if this is replaced then the Immobilizer ECU and key antenna should be replaced.
Remote controls on some models are programmed via the tester whilst on other models they are programmed manually.

post error codes and diagnostic output from the MUT III.

soloryder711
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby soloryder711 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:01 am

My car is 4b11 5spd, the ecu is 4b12 5spd so that isnt a concern. I know my dealer has looked at it twice thru mut3 and also contacted the tech support which said it was impossible to do. So im not sure. So you think because a key isnt programmed to the ecu it wont allow the vin to be written?
2009 Es Sport

A wise man once told me

himynameisdaniel
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby himynameisdaniel » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:54 am

The issue is from a diagnostic point of view there is little hard evidence from your vehicle. (logs etc) or exactly what was done. So we may be going onto unnecessary tangents in regards to troubleshooting.
However I'm going to assume that you get no error codes and you cant make changes to the ECU and the engine will not start, and you can move in and out of gears.

The Mitsubishi Immobilizer system (if equipped in your vehicle) comprises of the following features.
Remote transponder
Circuit Isolated Software Lock
Ultrasonic
Microwave
Central Locking function.

Now if you get a software lock the following symptoms may occur. ( All or none may occur however the immobilizer should not be ruled out from a diagnostic point of view)

+Communication with the programmer\diagnostic tool to fail.
+The vehicle may crank but not start.
+The immobilizer warning light may be off or on all the time. Look for Error Code 54 in the immobilizer ECU.
+It may not be possible to program transponders/remotes.

To overcome this you may wish to try the following procedure. *PLEASE NOTE* As always do this at your own risk and seek professional advice if you are unsure of the risks or impact to your vehicle.***
Remove all battery chargers and jump packs.
Disconnect battery positive lead and negative lead.
Touch the positive and negative cables together for 10 seconds.
Reconnect the positive battery cable.
Reconnect the negative battery cable.

Keys need to be coded correctly with correct logic and match VIN\chassis identification of the vehicle found in the ECU. No programed key means you cannot start the vehicle END.
The immobilizer control unit will send a software lock to the ECU which will then disable the fuel pump.
I would take it to a Evo\Ralliart dealer and get their techs to look at it. (at least in Australia) they are more senior and have more experience. I have no idea if this is applicable in the sates. you may be wasting your time there.
Otherwise i would be suggesting to rip and replace ECU's as per my last post IF and ONLY IF the the root cause is with the immobilizer.

soloryder711
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby soloryder711 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:49 am

Ok I will try my best to describe my issue, New ecu doesnt have and will not accept my current vin. Which the car will not engage the starter due to the difference in vin between car and ecu. I have the mitsubishi master tech working on this vehicle and he cannot tackle the issue of getting my cars vin on the new ecu. Hope this helps.
2009 Es Sport

A wise man once told me

Beeble
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Beeble » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:15 pm

did you ever get this sorted?
I've had to do it for someone, so might be able to help you out.
and yes you can do it with MUT3, your dealer should be able to do it
Modding or Tuning questions for your Lancer, RA or EVO? drop me a line!
http://BeebleTune.com

Return to “2008+ Turbo Performance”