***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

2011 Ralliart turbo upgrade

CJ Lancer Turbo Performance Modifications & Information.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Pharo
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

2011 Ralliart turbo upgrade

Postby Pharo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:31 pm

Hi all ,

Just wondering , i am in serious thought of upgrading the turbo on my ralliart but slightly confused and want your thoughts, i have only recently upgraded to the Evo X FMIC .
should i be swapping for Evo X turbo ( was my original thought and run E85 ) or a bigger turbo setup maybe larger TD04 ? Also i would assume if i go bigger turbo i may need to change clutch pack ?

Also this is my DD , so dont want nothing that will effect the cars reliability.

Your help would be appreciated.

Cheerio
:hallo:
2014 Evo x GSR
K&N Typhoon CAI
Grimspeed 3 port
Nvidia N1 dual cat back
Fab test pipe & Dump
Turbosmart wastegate

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: 2011 Ralliart turbo upgrade

Postby Mystique » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Considering its a daily driver, any performance upgrade you do, will affect the reliability of it. However, most people as far as I am aware, upgrade to an Evo X turbo along side a tune, I would definitely be upgrading the clutch pack as the gearbox is already a ticking timebomb :). Better to be safe.
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:00 pm

Completely disagree with Mystique. The gearbox is not a 'ticking timebomb'. Mine has 280,000km's on it and runs fine, tuned to 165kw for the past 5 years. Sick of people bagging what is a really good gearbox IF you take care of it (regular 45,000km oil n filter changes). So few real issues reported but if you read the forums you'd think every other Ralliart and Evo is about to grind to a halt.

If E85 is readily, and conveniently, available to you then maybe search for a flex fuel kit and better fuel pump and the v3 TephraMod flash that will give you real flex fuel capability (saving you from having to carry spare E85 with you)

Otherwise maybe source a TD05 Evo X turbo (such as the one Seb15 is selling) and a manifold + airbox conversion (see CBRD speed factory) and have then installed (or do yourself?) if you want a cheap (ish) job, or a proper hi-flo turbo if you want all out power. Just remember with the STT that the limits are around 300kw/400Nm so a good tuner is required if going right out (FYI a standard Evo X turbo and E85 will not get you that far)
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03
- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)
- Lowered on Kings
- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP
- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system
- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

Pharo
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Pharo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:06 am

Thanks guys.
Ideally i want 230-260KW max , i think this is enough especially for a DD.
So how much do you think i will get out a evo x turbo setup , flex fuel kit/fuel pump & Tephra tune ?
I dont want to be spending major $$ or ill be more pissed that i didnt buy an EVO (i didnt know much before i bought the ralliart)
Clutch pack can be anywhere between $5000-$8000 is that right ?
2014 Evo x GSR
K&N Typhoon CAI
Grimspeed 3 port
Nvidia N1 dual cat back
Fab test pipe & Dump
Turbosmart wastegate

Pharo
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Pharo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:08 am

One more thing , any point of a CAI with the evo x turbo ?
2014 Evo x GSR
K&N Typhoon CAI
Grimspeed 3 port
Nvidia N1 dual cat back
Fab test pipe & Dump
Turbosmart wastegate

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:45 pm

CAI will make a little difference but probably not much - I'd go the AEM one if I it were me. Just the Evo X turbo with your setup would get you to 220 - 230kw. Flex fuel and tephra rom would probably top out around 260/270 if it was on a tank just E85

Remember - the Evo X runs on the same clutch as the one you have, so unless it's been abused or not maintained I wouldn't worry too much about it. Would only be worth doing if you went the big turbo route (i.e looking at (well) over 300kw). Worth doing some research on RAX patch in Evo M forums as their are some mods in the ROM patch that help with the power going through the SST
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03

- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)

- Lowered on Kings

- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP

- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system

- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:48 am

For the sort of power goal you mentioned, the stock EvoX turbo with a decent intercooler will do just fine.
An ExoX or HDi intercooler will do nicely.

Most so called cold air intakes for your car are rubbish and a pod filter setup is not the best option.
The stock airbox is fine with a Cosworth filter, especially if you wrap it all up in DEI Reflect-a-Gold thermal tape.

A more important mod is to upgrade the hot side plumbing, which is rubbish on the stocker.

A bigger fuel pump, like the Walbro 255 or the AEM would be recommended. Both are plug and play upgrades with no modding required.

And a set of decent injectors, like FIC1100 or ID1000 or ID1300 and a tune and you will have a great setup.
And unless the transmission is damaged, it will do the job very well. A tranny oil cooler is a good option also.

Return to “2008+ Turbo Performance”