*CLOSED*: Takeda 2.4L SRI GB

For all ClubCJ Members.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

zeroshift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

*CLOSED*: Takeda 2.4L SRI GB

Postby zeroshift » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:39 am

Was thinking of organising a group buy through Advance Speed Shop for the Takeda SRI, shown here:

http://www.advancespeedshop.com/takeda- ... 16290.html

The guys over at 9glancers are raving about them, with gains of up to 15HP (dyno proven) from stock. Pretty fantastic for a road legal intake system. Only $200 too, plus shipping, which I’m hoping to drop down if we get a few people. I’ve contacted Advance about it, and I’m guessing they will want a five person minimum. I’ll be buying once we get ten. I just need to get some interest before I bother pursuing it.

As I'm only new here, I'm happy to let one of the more senior members (possibly ofey, should he be willing) handle the money, should people wish it. We can figure that out later though.

86MIM
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby 86MIM » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:39 am

You'll have to speak to Ofey about this one, as he is the Cheif Buyer, to avoid any embarrassment. Pitch it to him via PM.

I've locked this thread in the meantime. If Ofey is around - he can unlock or start a new GB thread.
kii

tykkään kiiltävä, nopeasti ja se on saanut olla ähkyä.
ClubCJ Lifetime Member #86

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:18 pm

I suspect many of the new members on this forum don't really think very much of what a Chief Buyer does. Often the position might seem easy - i.e. a trusted person who handles cash and makes the purchases on behalf of the members. That I would say is the straight forward simpleton's idea.

I would say there's a certain measure of risk management and negotiation skill that has to go along with that. Sense and sensibility must also prevail on the part of the buyer. My warnings ala the Russian Group Buy is a good example and also my handling of money for the 2nd round of the Whiteline group buy is also another good example.

Anyways, let me point out what my thoughts are:
Member wants to buy something so they put through that if they can save a few more dollars, why not turn it into a group buy? However what if the plan goes belly up? or if the product doesn't turn out to be of an acceptable quality? Who bears the costs?

And finally for the club to put its name on a group buy, I think we need to consider the product.

OK enough of my preamble, let's look into the proposal.

Background
The item proposed is the Takeda Cold Air Intake System for Mitsubishi Lancer GTS 09-11 L4-2.4L TR-4203P.

It basically replaces the "to engine" side of the stock air intake box. This will allow the housing now to house a pod filter as opposed to the conventional panel.

Why is it attractive?
- with recent spate of floods, most people shy away from the Injen CAI.
- It allows for a "as close to stock" look while maintaining no open pod in the engine bay.

One needs to understand that you shouldn't consider the Injen Hydrosock to be Waterproofing for the intake. It's merely a water resistance measure. So you cannot expect to drive through a flood. To be honest if you have a flood up to the level of your fog lights which would be your door scuff plate, you really shouldn't be driving through it already.

I've driven through heavy rain (the kind you struggle to see through) with my CAI and have checked my air intake pipework in the engine bay and it's not wet at all.

There is no contest though that the Takeda product does look more stock.

However, you would need to pay attention to 2 points.

1. These are designed to be used in 2.4L models and not 2.0L. Some reading for you here - read posts #13 and #14. It may well fit both cars but bear in mind the air intake requirements are very different.

2. Fitment. I've looked at the installation fitments as an issue as raised by this thread: Re: Takeda Intake Install Question.

There is only one clip holding the box and the other side seems to flex and move back and forth on hard acceleration.
You can try this with your current air box. Get a friend to WOT your car in free gear and watch the movement of the air box. The side which is not clipped will flex and open up slightly.

Reply #53 on that thread is interesting:

Yes mine is exactly like this however the box is completely closed due to the lip inside the box and where the takeda box attaches. I m still surprised that they didn't do a cross brace and notice how the intake pipe connection looks pulled apart slightly....I wonder if we re loosing anything there....Also not sure if I should tune it cause my mpg gauge is freaking out and I m not getting what I got with the factory setup. It could also be my ecu is still learning it though...Idk ideas?

Inconsistency. If the box opening up during your driving your intake isn't gonna be working like it should. So your ecu is trying to compensate for the fluctuating AFRs.

Reply #63 solves the fitment issue.

As I see it, the fix involves bending a plastic tab.

Problem solved, and I will say this. The fit could be better (like I said before, by making the Takeda box a little taller), but if they adjusted the tab to give the clip a better fit, then the second clip really is not needed.

Now I'm not discouraging anyone but I think the whole story proper.

There are some holes and the opening in the box, that is a given due to their design:

and from Reply #73:

I would think, from the design, that it's only going to suck in warm air if you aren't getting enough air pushed in from the snorkel. Might get warm air at idle without cool air being pushed in from the front.

That is the significant difference from getting the Injen CAI.

It would seem the company producing these Takeda Intakes (AES) are now changing the design due to the points raised about fitment:

Reply #82:

Well, their tech told me to keep in touch, and if they make a change, he will make sure I get a new version.

I also saw one of their supporters trying to ensure that they sell this batch:
Reply #83:

AFE said they would contact Flam to work on this. However, I personally think this has been blown way out of porportion, with certain people, who arent even purchasing the intake, stirring the pot, which is annoying.

With that said, I dont think this issue will require anything more than a simple fix, that may not even be necessary for most of the intakes. Keep in touch with their tech dept, and they will help as much they can.

Keep in mind, that AFE has been more than accomodating, considering most companies would laugh at you and say tough sh*t.

It's brought about so much debate, a 2nd thread started:

Dont blame AFE for the clip issue:reason why plus my install expirence

It would seem like a member there called Stealth Bombing is really AFE's mouth piece and has spoken out about criticizing the design a few times.

So caveat emptor on the part.

On pricing,
the RRP is listed as US$311.25
the producer now has it at US$261.45
while our favourite reseller Advanced Speed Shop has it at US$199.20

All with the part number TR-4203
So not a fixed set yet bearing in mind they will probably tweak the design.

Postage will be about US$80 to get it individually shipped. With each item I suspect being at least a box of the same size as the Injen CAI, I don't hold much hope in group shipping but I will try.

So we'll be looking about the US$280 mark to get these here.

How much does the group buy need to knock off this??

Let's start an EOI list first
So 4B12 or 2.4L people only:

Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

zeroshift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby zeroshift » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:36 pm

I certainly wasn't looking to offload the responsibility to you, ofey, I merely considered the fact that as a new member, other forum goers are much less likely to part with their cash.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the time and effort you went to in providing such a thorough analysis of the product. Perhaps it will be in our best interests to wait to see what AFE do.
I'm definitely getting one.

1. zeroshift

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:41 pm

I wasn't hoping to imply a passing of the buck but more I wanted to spell out the thought process of group buys.

So my question if you read my epic post is still unanswered. How much do I need to knock off?

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

zeroshift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby zeroshift » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:49 pm

Oh yes I know. I just wanted to clarify my position also. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm happy to take an active role in getting this organised. :)

As much as as we can I suppose. Maybe $25-50, given that we'd be buying about 10 or so (if we can get suitable interest). I have no idea what their cost price may be. I've made the enquiries, just need to wait for that time zone to wake up. :)

zeroshift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby zeroshift » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:11 pm

Well different dynos will, in many cases, give slightly different results. The thing that I like about the Takeda is that you get a fairly consistent power increase right through the rev range (not just the top end).

mechenggdude
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby mechenggdude » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:52 pm

put me down as an EOI. I'm still debating with myself to get the Injen CAI or this one.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:53 pm

ofey wrote:I suspect many of the new members on this forum don't really think very much of what a Chief Buyer does. Often the position might seem easy - i.e. a trusted person who handles cash and makes the purchases on behalf of the members. That I would say is the straight forward simpleton's idea.

I would say there's a certain measure of risk management and negotiation skill that has to go along with that. Sense and sensibility must also prevail on the part of the buyer. My warnings ala the Russian Group Buy is a good example and also my handling of money for the 2nd round of the Whiteline group buy is also another good example.

Anyways, let me point out what my thoughts are:
Member wants to buy something so they put through that if they can save a few more dollars, why not turn it into a group buy? However what if the plan goes belly up? or if the product doesn't turn out to be of an acceptable quality? Who bears the costs?

And finally for the club to put its name on a group buy, I think we need to consider the product.

OK enough of my preamble, let's look into the proposal.

You need to sticky this somewhere for members on "How to propose GB and what to be aware of before proposing". :D
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

13EZY
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby 13EZY » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:02 pm

sorry if my 2cents is not welcome, but i shied away from AI down by the foglights for flooding mentioned by ofey - i had a mate whose engine seized up completely (wouldnt even crank over) after his missus drove it thru a rather large puddle. and i feel also that a boxed in ram-filter (or pod filter) would be sucking in hot air at slower speed or idle.
i have gone for the RA snorkel to still increase air flow but also to keep it safe.

mind me asking what AI you have ofey?
"That's page 1, chapter 1 of the petrosexual handbook"
(Lord Clarkson - Series 17 Episode 1)
Ride Of The Month June 2011

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:18 pm

Injen's CAI. Down behind the fog light.

zeroshift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby zeroshift » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:56 pm

Well it looks like this can probably be closed. I bought one for myself from the US for $330 shipped. It's great.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:17 pm

*closed*

Return to “Group Buys Service”