For all ClubCJ Members.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

*CLOSED* Projector Retrofit Group Buy

Postby ofey » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:47 am

Background
I've been approached by a member : Solace who wishes for a group buy of retrofit parts to convert your current reflector type head lamps to a projector.

I will co-ordinate and money will flow through me but the group buy might help Solace and like minded members save some coin.

The Product
Will be obtained from The Retrofit Source

The kit includes:

1. hid bulbs and ballast - they will be slightly different from just regular PNP hid kits as they will be meant to be installed on a projector setting and hence will use D2S bulbs. the ballasts are also high quality Morimotos
2. relay harness - ensures stable voltage and protects the electrical system fo the car
3. projector housing - this item would be what distinguishes you from a typical plug and play hid kit, producing beam patterns that are exotic with sharp cutoffs. it will be retrofitted on the halogen reflectors

Install
In a nutshell, it is a fairly skill intensive DIY procedure which will involve the;
1. removal of the bumper and headlights
2. baking the headlights open
3. retroftting the projectors onto reflectors which would include cutting
4. sealing the headlights again and putting them back on the car with appropriate aiming and adjustment

Here is an example of Lexus projectors put onto a Lancer shell:
ImageImage

Pricing
Presales at the end of August will only be for LHD (US vehicles) and the RHD versions of the projectors will be coming out a month later. So this buy will probably have to happen now for a pre-order and delivered in October'10.

Presale = US$180/pair (RRP = US$225/pair)
but must be bundled with HID bulbs, ballasts and relay harness which range from US$150 for a Morimoto set to US$250 for a Matsushita set. Shrouds to cover the projectors are around ~$50

So minimum costing = US$380/pair + Shipping
while max costing = US$480/pair + Shipping. (~ A$615)

What you need to know?
Is that if you choose to go this way, the install is pretty evolved. DIY-able or pay someone like Concord Customs to do it.

The OEM solution from Mitsubishi is:
MI-8301B433 BODY-HEADLAMP-LH
RRP=A$659+
CCJ Price = A$625

MI-8301B434 BODY-HEADLAMP-RH
RRP=A$659+
CCJ Price = A$625

Total cost = A$1250 + Shipping + HIDs

These will bolt straight on and all you need is a set of HIDs.

Questions

HID Retrofitting Info here:
TRS Tech
HID Lighting Tutorials

More questions to be directed at Solace[click to PM].

EOI List
1. Solace
Last edited by ofey on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

solace
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby solace » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:19 am

Cheers mate, thanks for putting this up. Members interested should take the time to read through the HID retrofitting resources as alot of questions can be answered there..

In regards to the OEM solution, it is not as straightforward as a bolt on.. as it stands it seems that some Lancers have the wiring harnesses suitable for a direct bolt on and some do not. please see here for an example of someone who had to do some modifying of wiring harnesses;
http://www.mitsubishi-forums.com/index. ... ector&st=0

and this is someone else contradicting what he was saying.. but the conclusion was that it varied between cars as to what wiring harnesses is set up in the car..
http://forums.evolutionm.net/lancer-sho ... hid-8.html

i havent had to time look into this at length.. hope this is informative cheers

BlueWRX
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby BlueWRX » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:48 am

solace, are you comin to the coast meet?

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:02 pm

STACYS wrote:solace, are you comin to the coast meet?

Please keep it on topic. Use to PM in future.

BlueWRX
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby BlueWRX » Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:29 pm

you can just delete the post. but i thought i would ask since members attending are able to ask him Q about this product for those unsure . So i guess it is on topic

AJjnr86
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby AJjnr86 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:19 pm

Just remember to make theses legal in Aus u need to have self leveling head lights, u will always get one cop that knows his sh!t and bust u for it, just a word of warning

OHH YEA!!!!

solace
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby solace » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:28 pm

@stacys: feel free to post questions here that you might have after reading the guides

@ajjnr86: yes you are right, to make it fully legal self levelling and washers are required for preventing glare.

There is some level of compensation you can make i.e. have ur headlight aimed slightly lower than usual so that in a full car setting they dont get aimed too high.. or get the high BMI fellas to sit in the front to counterbalance the load.. haha jokes

personally i still find even with some factory HID equipped (presumably with levellers) 4wd vehicles like the range rover etc still blind the hell out of me when they are up behind me on the freeway.. its gonna take a really anal cop to book you in for a proper HID retrofit as compared to someone who has ebay HID kits installd. cheers

FizyMo
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby FizyMo » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:37 pm

Hey guys notice you are buying projectors for you stock headlights.
i previuosly installed one, it takes time and patient where you have to;

1. Remove the front bumper
2. Disconnect the Stock headlight
3. Heat the headlight in an oven for 5 - 10min or so
4. Carefully pull the plastic cover of the headlight unit.
5. Follow the instruction on how to install the projector to the stock headlight.

What i did was went on youtube and typed "How to: Install ORACLE Halo Kit from www.AACstyle.com Advanced Automotive Concepts"
This video shows you the steps on how to remove the plastic cover of the headlight and spray the light trim black.

The project took me half a day (to do both headlights)
I'll rate it around 8/10

You just have to take your time (especially when heating the headlights) - try not to bend the edges of the headlight when pullin the plastic cover apart.

hope this help

Best of luck :)
".FizyMo."

solace
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby solace » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:32 pm

cheers thanks for that mate, what temperature did you use for our Lancer headlights to bake them open?
Did you remove any plastic bits from the housing before sticking them in the oven?

thanks

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:46 pm

I have heard some people bake at 200 degrees for a few mins which seems very hot. A few weeks ago I enquired about Angle eyes from Concord customs and they informed me that they bake at 60 degrees.

FizyMo
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby FizyMo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:12 am

Hi Solace.

Yea pretty much what Chubb said, around 200deg, i only put it in for 5-10mins or so, make sure the oven is preheated on 200deg and then put the headlight in for 5 - 10mins.

There are few screws and a clip which hold the plastic cover down from the headlight, thats what i removed before putting it in the oven.
But makes sure when u put it in the oven, the headlight does not touch the wall of the ovens, this could lead to damaging the headlight if it does.

I didnt remove the light bulb or any other wires wen i put in the oven, so its pretty much up to you.

Best of luck :)
".FizyMo."

FizyMo
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby FizyMo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:25 am

This is what the end product.

I bought this of ebay, it is a projector headlight with angel eyes arnd the trim of the projector. Dunno if you can see it

Best of luck guys :D
".FizyMo."

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:11 am

How much were the lights on eBay, FizyMo?
ClubCJ's first Sportback

FizyMo
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby FizyMo » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:26 pm

".FizyMo."

solace
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby solace » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:00 pm

thanks for your input fizymo! bandit for your interest, though the ebay kit may be significantly cheaper the light output will not be as great as compared to S2K-R projector design. cheers

Return to “Group Buys Service”