***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Group Buys

For all ClubCJ Members.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:46 am

Further to our discussion about the K&N Panel Filters. I've quoted their reply to me below.

Subject: Re: Racing Performance Works : K&N Panel Filter - 33-2392
Date: 8 April 2009 10:43:38 AM
To: ofey

The website does not list the GST price until you are logged in with an address. So the website price is 94.00 incl GST

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:05 am

Put me down for a K&N Filter

*ofey - Done, check first post in thread*

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:02 pm

*bump*
Wondering if anyone wants in on the group buys?

I will be picking up my scuff plate and b-pillar trim tomorrow.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:25 pm

lol...
Poor ofey, I know how you feel doing all this running around and organising and then someone says " dude - I didn't even try and I can get a better price"...

I find that it's often best to get a price, call another place, tell them the price (say $120) and tell them they HAVE to beat it or you'll go to the other guy...

Then when they say $110 you call the next guy on the list, tell him you can get for $110 - what will they do it for??

i managed to get a ROH wheel and tyre package down from $1900 from the tyre factory to $1350 after calling and dropping in etc to about 10 different wheel shops (you can't just keep calling them and asking for a better price, call first time, then once they give u a price, physically go into the store and say "hi - another place offered me these for *whatever the price was u got on the phone* - so can you do them cheaper!? (ie. play them off against THEMSELVES even... it works!)

and when they come back with their best price - CRUNCH EM MORE!!! Lol! Say "well, tell you what, if u can give me a further $10 off (or $100, depending on the total cost) I'll finalise a deal with my club this week and give you an order for 5 or 10 parts instead of just 1... but you HAVE to knock another $10-100 off...."

It's in their interest... give someone a 10x $10 discount, but sell $2000 worth of parts... they'll do it...

Deano1964
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Deano1964 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:31 pm

ofey is doing a great job with this as it is hard to organize such a large group of people, especially when money is involved. I have said that i might be able to get some better prices, and from speaking to my contact about prices I actually got some interesting news. I have PM'd ofey about who i spoke to and the outcome.

Nicho
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Nicho » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:49 pm

And what was the news?

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:55 pm

I don't feel frustrated at all actually.

It's in the club's interest that we get the best price possible.

What I would like to know soon *curiosity* is the margins we're talking about. If the new price is like < A$5 per part, I'd be quite pissed driving to Frankston Mitsu to get it. After I called my dealer's parts department and they quoted me, I told them the prices I was getting and he called back 20mins later saying he can beat my prices by about A$2 each and really I think that's not good, I can't trust people like that anymore.

On the flip side, the great thing is that we might be getting more support soon and competition between dealers helps buyers like us.

Afterall mitsu's tag line has always been "The Spirit of Competition"

I'd also have to say that unfortunately, I will have to get my parts from Preston Motors. If I have to pay more, too bad but we did ask them for this group buy and if I don't get the thing off the ground, I should still get the parts for the prices they promised. It's only courteous to.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel

Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust

BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars

EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Nicho
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Nicho » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:03 pm

Well I will get the scuff plates and when someone finds out the price of the black tail lights I will be interested in seeing what price they get offered

Deano1964
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Deano1964 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Nicho wrote:And what was the news?

Well i had to speak to Ofey first before i knew if i could say anything.

Basically we might be getting more support soon.

Nicho
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Nicho » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:08 pm

From a different dealership or something like that?

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:23 pm

Guys can I please ask for your indulgence and not to speculate further about this? There are quite serious implications about this. I promise that we will give you all an update soon about what's happening.

Please bear in mind that Preston Motors is an official sponsor of this club and we should at least be thankful of the fact that they've come out to support the club and its activities and host our first ever Club CJ Melbourne gathering.

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:45 pm

true - hooray for PM (even if they're not the best price in this instance, they DID give me a hefty discount on my car... meaning I now have more to spend on other sh%t!)

But...
Yeah - I'm interested in a heftier discount any day - if PM can't lower their prices as low as someone else to get 10-100, maybe more buyers... well we might have to go with someone else! as you said - the intrests of the many outweigh the intrests of the few!

m1n1on
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby m1n1on » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:55 pm

If the k&n filter group buy goes ahead, count me in.

Just to note the price of an individual filter from RPW:

As I have posted on this forum a few times:

RPW sell them online

http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php?op ... ct_id=1744

K&N Panel Filter - 33-2392
( K&N Filters )
Price per Unit (piece): $85.45

+ 8.545 (GST)

+ Shipping

Star Track Express Star Track Express Road Freight 5kg (Insured Automatically up to $500.00) $35.75
Star Track Express Star Track Express Overnight Air Bag 5kg (No Insurance) $19.25
Australia Post Australia Post Registered Post 5kg (Insured Automatically up to $100.00) $16.50

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:07 pm

Nicho wrote:Well I will get the scuff plates and when someone finds out the price of the black tail lights I will be interested in seeing what price they get offered

I can speak about this. We're currently in the process of sorting out the black tail lights as a group buy. I will get back to everyone once I sort this out.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:29 pm

JazzyB wrote:lol...
Poor ofey, I know how you feel doing all this running around and organising and then someone says " dude - I didn't even try and I can get a better price"...

I have been thinking for awhile about this and there are some things which are disconcerting about it.

a) I did not do much running around for this. Preston Motors sent me a price list, I picked a few items (3) for group buys as these were the most discussed items and approached PM for quotes. They gave me one value, then after speaking to NickD, the price was reduced again.

On my part, I believed them implicitly when they said it would be a very hard price to beat. They're also a major Mitsubishi distributor so I saw no reason not to trust that they gave me the BEST possible price.

There's a point that everyone should consider. It's easier in this case to be the 2nd quote. If I go up to a dealer and ask them to beat a price and he beats it by a dollar, he beats it. You go back to the first guy and he beats it by $2. This ding dongs for awhile before one of them will reach a point where there's no more margin for them for this exercise to be worthwhile.

The price we got you have to admit is much better than what you'd get when walking into a dealer. Rina2009 had stated that the scuff plates were A$170 to begin with. My dealer gave me a quote at A$139. We were then quoted by PM @ A$111.62! I have no idea as yet how much the rival quote is going to be as there are alot of things that will have to happen before we find out.

Return to “Group Buys Service”