***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Lancer in a Wind Tunnel Simulator

All Lancer Related Videos & Automotive Reviews.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

jolly_tas
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Lancer in a Wind Tunnel Simulator

Postby jolly_tas » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:30 pm

Found this interesting site http://chernyshenko.sesnet.soton.ac.uk/FIHome.htm with a virtual wind tunnel.

I uploaded a couple of pics to it and these are the results.

The first is a VRX while the second is a VR that has been lowered.

I apologise now as the files are a few Mb each but some of you may find it rather interesting.

VRX
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/5672/jiq.mp4

VR
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/3331/83739600.mp4

bryzabone
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby bryzabone » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:45 pm

thats very cool!
For every "Drive Safely" sign, shouldn't there be a "Resume Normal Driving" sign?

kinesis
Project Team Member

Postby kinesis » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:44 pm

The only thing, is because you can't "picture" the gap under the VRX or EvoX spoiler you don't get any idea of down force, whereas you notice the slight effects on the VR lip

should add...I think that's pretty cool :p
Blitz Air Filter | RPW Stage 1 ECU Flash Tune | UR Front Tower Strut Bar | UR Rear Lower Bar
Alpine iDA-X305 headunit | LED Taillights | VG Sharkfin Antenna

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:26 pm

Are you technically inclined in this field enough to give us a commentary of what we're seeing? I'd love to have a deeper understanding of these simulations?
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

jolly_tas
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby jolly_tas » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:06 pm

Sorry Ofey, but no I'm not. Have been doing a bit of reading about it but fluid mechanics I don't think is my strong point. If I find anything out tho will let you know.

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:33 pm

I've done a bit of work with the Mathematical modeling of viscous fluid flows. The movies look cool, but I'm not sure they're terribly useful :) ... A bit too general, and ignores a lot of variables ... a third dimension for starters :P
GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:59 am

All that it tells you is pretty colours swirling around :lol:

Only know a little bit but from both the clips, the VR will cut through the air cleaner than the VRX. End result over time is a more effecient car as there is less resistance as it moves through the air. The VRX is generating turbulence but not enough to be of benefit. Essentially the spoiler on the VRX is just there for decoration; its not high enough to be of any benefit to the car.

A wing will keep your cars bum to the ground only if it is set up correctly. About 90% of spoilers you see on cars are christmas tree decorations; look pretty but are completely useless. Most also have a negative reaction to the car by increasing fuel consumption not just in added weight but also in resistance. The car has to work harder to do the same job as one without one. Also there are lift and drag that come into play; wings and diffusers cater to each one.

In everyday driving, this stuff is of little benefit to the driver; highway driving you can make use of slipstreams and road hold from a wing but we not traveling fast enough and we make square flat turns to utilize aerodynamic features of cars. On the track though it is vital. Everday cars are not very aerodynamic; supercars though usually are.

There are a lot of things that will influence a cars drag effeciency and a 2D perspective is not really a good indication of the aerodynamic ability of your car.

Return to “Videos & Reviews”