***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Personal Review: 2012 Lancer Activ Sportback

All Lancer Related Videos & Automotive Reviews.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Ectodestructo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Personal Review: 2012 Lancer Activ Sportback

Postby Ectodestructo » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:36 pm

Might be early days still but I just wanted to share my thoughts on my new car.

My 2012 Activ Sportback costs than the ES model of the same year, $21,888 drive away vs $24,973 drive away (according to the website, but I believe that it might be cheaper on promotion). I was not offered the Convenience Pack, but the Activ came with leather steering wheel with controls, Bluetooth, VR body kit, chrome exhaust tip and 16" alloy wheels; personally, I would have wanted the reverse camera with video display in the reverse mirror, especially with the Sportback, but I am very pleased with the price I paid. With my trade in, it took another $5000 off the price, and that was even better! I did opt for the advanced protection tint and paint treatment, as well as fog lamps for another $2500+ but that's because 1) the fog lamp plastic moulds just look fugly and dysfunctional, 2) I used to have tinting and fog lamps on my previous car (Subaru Outback) and found them useful, 3) I consider it an investment for if/when I sell the car in the future, and if I don't, at least my car will still look good.

Now, I'm not usually into cars, but I've stated to pick up some stuff the last few years, and I've usually had automatic cars because my wife doesn't drive stick and we've had to share. And, before that, I've always had to share cars with family members. I consider this the first car that's mine and without too much emotion, here's my thoughts since I've picked it up on Tuesday...

1) I keep going over the speed limit!
If I don't keep my eye on the speedo, I find myself over the speed limit, sometimes by 10 kph, just within seconds. Either the speedo is calibrated to show faster than its actual speed, or my feet have got heavier. I did not have this problem in the Outback, and that one had a 3.0 L H6 boxer engine; granted, it was a heavier car with AWD, but the Lancer just seems much more spirited and wants to go fast all the time!

2) People who don't usually like Lancers, say they like my car
I literally had workmates arrange among themselves who goes for a ride to the shops with me for smoko the whole week. A group of guys even changed shift so that they could go out the same time as me. So far nothing but compliments, and lots of questions about performance and whatnot; comparisons to their cars always follow suit, but the Lancer usually wins. Well, unless the old, "It's not four wheel drive, it'll never make it out bush" argument comes out. I reckon, I'm doing part of the dealers' job for them. I'm flattered at the attention to say the least, but I just wish they would stop touching everything in the car when they get in.

3) Mitsubishi value and quality kicks Subaru's and Toyota's butt everyday of the week
So, to be fair, my wife has a Corolla, which, I'm sure is in the same group as the Lancer in terms of price, size and quality. We actually paid more for her car, and it was three years old at the time, and look at what I got! The Corolla doesn't even have cruise control, not to mention Bluetooth or alloy wheels; plus, everything squeaks and squeals in the Corolla! Don't even get me started on the engine and handling.
Okay, for the Subaru, it'll be a little more unfair, since when new, the outback was a $35k + car, but all I got for double what I paid for for my new Lancer was a bigger engine, moonroof, roof racks and "premium" stereo (that didn't even have a line in jack!), everything else I have in my below $20k Lancer and more! The Outback had supposedly 212 bhp, and the Lancer ES has about 145 bhp (correct me if I'm wrong) but, the Lancer is much more fun to drive, more responsive and drinks half as much (ok, maybe 1/3 or so less) petrol.

4) Bluetooth hands free and music streaming is... Awesome.
Just awesome, don't know how to live without it now. And, the girl that lives in my car talks to me and has a nice voice; why, if I wasn't married...

5) Diamond Advantage Warranty is... Awesome.
Five years roadside assist, five years manufacturers warranty, ten years drivetrain warranty and since this CJ model is the most popular Lancer model yet: lots of parts and accessories! Yay!
Puts my mind at ease and let's me concentrate on other things.

I recommend a Lancer to anyone looking to get a new car and is still sitting on the fence. Even the base ES model is more than enough to put a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel, and the only drawback is now I drive faster than before and take the longer way back home after work.

MJC088
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MJC088 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:56 pm

Awesome review mate, I just bought the Activ Sedan (Picking it up monday) and reading this made me love my decision even more.

I didn't opt for the Foglights but it will be the first aftermarket thing I do to the car. Well that and new rims, not a huge fan of the stock ones. (A few less spokes maybe)

(Also I thought the ES had 157bhp stock, but I could be wrong)

Fitter
Club Vendor
Club Vendor

Postby Fitter » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:03 pm

157bhp is at the fly wheel.
CLUB CJ CAR AUDIO VENDOR
Owner and Builder of Australia's LOUDEST STREET LEGAL Lancer 147.5dB

2013 WORLD TITLE
2012 QLD State Champion
2008 Australian Champion

MJC088
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MJC088 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:28 pm

Ah right.

Cheers

Ectodestructo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Ectodestructo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:05 pm

MJC088 wrote:Awesome review mate, I just bought the Activ Sedan (Picking it up monday) and reading this made me love my decision even more. I didnt opt for the Foglights but it will be the first aftermarket thing I do to the car. Well that and new rims, not a huge fan of the stock ones. (A few less spokes maybe)

Thanks, I tried to make the review relevant, glad you liked it.

For the fog lamps, I had the dealer do the install because:

1) It's hard to get the fog lamp plastic bits for our particular 2012 model. I noticed that there are hundreds of aftermarket options out there, that say 2012, but the shape is pointing upwards, like a grin, whereas ours is pointing downwards, like a frown. And the only 2013 model OEM one I found on eBay is from America and costs about $300+ with shipping anyway.
2) The lamps need to be activated in the ECU by the dealer end of the day, so even if I had it done aftermarket, I would have to go back to them anyway. I've read that some dealers will do it for free, as part of a service, while as some dealers charge (up to $95?).
3) Dealer gives me warranty for a year for genuine Mitsubishi parts anyway.
4) I am not confident to work on a brand new car by myself at this point of time. Yes, I wimped out. Electronics and I don't have a good relationship, plus, this job involves me taking the steering column apart for the new control yolk with the fog lamp controls.

I thought about the rims as well, but when I went to pick the car up, I reconsidered as the 16" alloys actually are pretty decent looking in the flesh so to speak. Besides, I didn't want to do anything before the new engine has broken in, and most importantly, I can't spend anymore money at this point of time, ha ha.

MJC088
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MJC088 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:36 pm

Thanks, I tried to make the review relevant, glad you liked it.

For the fog lamps, I had the dealer do the install because:

1) It's hard to get the fog lamp plastic bits for our particular 2012 model. I noticed that there are hundreds of aftermarket options out there, that say 2012, but the shape is pointing upwards, like a grin, whereas ours is pointing downwards, like a frown. And the only 2013 model OEM one I found on eBay is from America and costs about $300+ with shipping anyway.
2) The lamps need to be activated in the ECU by the dealer end of the day, so even if I had it done aftermarket, I would have to go back to them anyway. I've read that some dealers will do it for free, as part of a service, while as some dealers charge (up to $95?).
3) Dealer gives me warranty for a year for genuine Mitsubishi parts anyway.
4) I am not confident to work on a brand new car by myself at this point of time. Yes, I wimped out. Electronics and I don't have a good relationship, plus, this job involves me taking the steering column apart for the new control yolk with the fog lamp controls.

I thought about the rims as well, but when I went to pick the car up, I reconsidered as the 16" alloys actually are pretty decent looking in the flesh so to speak. Besides, I didn't want to do anything before the new engine has broken in, and most importantly, I can't spend anymore money at this point of time, ha ha.

Guess I should have mentioned I work at a mitzu dealership.
I will just get the parts from there, now that I know they are different I wont ebay them :P cheers!

Ectodestructo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Ectodestructo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:01 am

So, it's Tuesday, how do you like your new car? :)

el3ment
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby el3ment » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:39 am

Nice review.

My wife and I also picked up the MY12 Lancer Active Sedan a couple months ago and really like it. Its almost too easy to drive, compared to my lowered magna, where you feel all bumps etc etc and is a manual. lol

The only thing I do criticize it the engine noise. When starting the car, it sounds like an old engine. The rattle is terrible and not expected from a new engine, but I heard that is normal with these engines and the CVT tranny. Oh well.

We didn't get the fog lights as I thought we can do that ourselves later, but reading that it needs to be activated in the ECU, I am not so sure now. Plus we would need a new light stalk... (unless someone can help with all this? :) )

We also got the paint protection, but thinking about it further was probably just a waste of money. They give you the wash liquid especially for this, which just maintains it... whatever. Its more than likely nothing different than what you can pickup at Autobarn etc...

Overall, very happy with the car. The bluetooth is really good, although my phone (HTC Sensation) seems to have some issues with the audio streaming. Half the time it doesn't automatically connect that part of it. But doesn't matter now. I just use the USB stick for music now, which seems alot faster anyway.

In a few months, once my magna is sold, I will get a Ralliart which will be a new experience and looking forward to owning and driving...
AK 3" Single tip exhaust | 18x9 CST Zero 1 Hyper wheels |BC-BR Coilovers | UR UICP | Synapse DV | 3-pod A-Pillar | Adj. rear camber & toe arms | AK Aluminium undertray

MJC088
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MJC088 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:44 pm

I am picking it up tomorrow, it got delayed :(
But still 1 week from sign to drive isn't bad.

Cannot wait until tomorrow

Return to “Videos & Reviews”