***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

NA lancer review

All Lancer Related Videos & Automotive Reviews.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

NA lancer review

Postby sarusa » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:24 am

According to Australian new car buyer. Our 2ltr NA lancer, is one of three worst handling cars,
of the 26o reviewed in both 2016 and 2017 editions. and that includes a few SUVs. One of which is the ASX, which handles on par with the others. Hmmm strange as under pinning are those of the lancer, so maybe raise the suspention to increase ground clearance and improve handling!!??!:?
ie: It's 10 years old so drives like a 10 year old car, or a barge for instance. Never hear this about for instance Holden, Mercedes etc
which have gone way beyond. OK yes with bigger sheet mettle changes, cosmetics and heaps of hype! BUT same platform!!

Note reviewers in general seem to take a negative stance when reviewing the lancer. Wonder why!
Nowhere in any review have I seen mention of the more powerful and including turbo versions, as most often
referenced to in other reviews, of other brands, these have either a reference to more
powerful versions and reviews are so often carried out on that particular version.

Perhaps Mitsubishi aren't giving them enough choice, incentive and sufficiently prepared presentation platforms
to work with.
I don't believe they could be THAT silly or lousy!

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re: NA lancer review

Postby ReeceCozaa » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:52 am

It seems mitsi gave up on the lancer years ago, the CF was a fresh look(sorta) to pop up bit more in the market, and if seemed to work, handling wise the car is old, the whole platform Is old, for the people who know a bit about lancers or are passionate for there, the AEM market for performance and handling is broad but for the general person who wishes to buy a lancer with just the need of the car itself yeah, it doesn’t handle the greaaatest.
We are all in it for the fun!

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:10 pm

Nothing some new shocks and urethane bushes can't fix ;) maybe some 225/235 wide tyres (for those with 18s) or 18 inch rims for those with 16s or 17s, if you have an ES or other variant without it, a rear sway bar can help. mostly factory parts also... most reviews will only look at one spec of the vehicle, and when the lancer had as many trim levels as it did (ES, VR, VR-X, Ralliart, EVO-X, EVO-MR, Aspire, LX, Olympia, and a couple more), it makes sense they aren't going to test all of them even though they could, it'd only take a week.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Im glad i got the rear sway bar etc from Moonman. Made a huge difference to my 2012 activ

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:34 pm

Handling is such a vague concept as it will vary person to person and vehicle to vehicle. Some people like oversteer, some understeer. Some like driffting, some smooth lines etc.

2016 and 2017 will have the electronic power steering so will feel completely diffrent to the older hydraulic system. Electronic feels dead but more consistent across different speed ranges not dependant on engine rpm.

But tyres play a much larger role in handling feel so to accuratly compare car to car they really need the same/comparable tyres.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm

Electric power steering came in around 2013, my 2013 MY14 has it. So handling wise, what are the best bushes to change also taking into account ease of fitment? Been wanting to do it but not sure the best to replace. Also the car is still under original 5 year warranty.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:10 pm

Ditch the oem rubber mounts on the sway bars and use polyurethane
Thats on my list to do

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:40 pm

In my opinion on them both stock, since trying the 2.0l MY16 and owning the 2.4 MY16 the 2.0 does have quite a noticeable amount of body roll and lack of handling, the 2.4 is better but still the body roll is insane
We are all in it for the fun!

merlin
Alumni
Alumni

Postby merlin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:47 pm

I never liked the feel or driving experience of the electric power steering models as I got no feedback through the wheel.
The earlier models were ok and a set of decent rubber sorted most of the issues.

One of our QLD members is doing insane track times in his NA Lancer, no handling issues there.
So, like a lot of cars, a mild tweak from stock and you have a great car.
An ES Lancer is a budget vehicle so dont expect Mitsu to throw top end parts at it stock.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:25 pm

Spot on Merlin
The lancer is built to the economy end of the budget including bugger all sound deadener.
Doesnt take much coin and sometime and you can have a damn nice car

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:22 am

prefer slight understeer to oversteer, neutral would be nice and comfort. So rear sway bar is out for me.
Rear upper strut bar fine, have already fitter upper front strut bar.

Return to “Videos & Reviews”