***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Changes To Posting!

Rules - Information - Suggestions - Feedback - Frequently Asked Questions & Forum Help Centre.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

Alileighju
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Alileighju » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:15 pm

YES no more reasons for editing silly spelling mistakes!

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:04 pm

Agreed with the point re: editing posts not requiring a comment (although I like having it as an option since I can clarify why I'm editing or why someone else edited my post).

However, blocking imageshack/imagebucket seems a bit too much... because sometimes people bulk upload to imageshack so it can be posted on various forums/other places. Similarly if copying image URL from another forum, it seems wasteful to have to download it, and reupload to ClubCJ... especially if we don't have the rights to do so.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:32 pm

100% agree Jeff...

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:41 pm

JaCe wrote:Agreed with the point re: editing posts not requiring a comment (although I like having it as an option since I can clarify why Im editing or why someone else edited my post).
If i edit your post, I'm required to put a reason, if you edit your own, you're not. However I'd want a 10 min grace period, so if you change your post outside the 10 min grace period then a reason is required. That's how I requested it.

JaCe wrote:However, blocking imageshack/imagebucket seems a bit too much... because sometimes people bulk upload to imageshack so it can be posted on various forums/other places.
It's a balance. People move on and delete their imageshack/photobucket accounts or delete images. Hence the problem of meaningless posts when there are no images in the thread. ... and yes that was something I requested be done too. So I'm happy to cop the flack for it.

LZY_EYE wrote:100% agree Jeff...
Don't disagree with me Shane, i'll slap you in real life. :P lol
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:48 pm

And what about when the CCJ imageloader is broken? Like it seems to be every 2nd week....:P

I understand the reasonings, but I prefer to use photobucket..

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:51 pm

LZY_EYE wrote:And what about when the CCJ imageloader is broken? Like it seems to be every 2nd week....:P I understand the reasonings, but I prefer to use photobucket..

The imageloader is working just fine and has not been broken every 2nd week, i know you're exagerating, but anyway.
You may prefer, but there is no way we can can guarantee those images being on whatever photosharing service in perpetuity... so this is the trade off.

ImageImage

tjoz
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tjoz » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:00 pm

So thats why I cant post pictures anymore.. Im with the others on that; I dont think that is an entirely good idea.

Reason being shifting all users to start using CCJ image hoster instead of any other hoster will eat up your bandwidth like anything. Especially here at CCJ where hardly any of your users resize their pictures (that do use the CCJ image hoster).

Its not a problem you will see till later on as the site builds up more traffic and with all users having to use the CCJ image hoster plus the very high image res you guys have in place can potentially play fun times with your servers. With CCJ server reliability in the past; is it something you really want to go back to dealing with again?

Or if you still want your blanket ban on other image hosters look into cutting your max image resolutions to something more reasonable thats not going to eat into your bandwidth.

Plus another thing; dont the CCJ image hoster instantly tag any image uploaded with the Club CJ logo?? If so with your current ban on image hosters that can open up legal issues if people start posting up pictures that they dont have permission for. As they are tagged with the club on it; if trouble did happen they wont go to the forum user they will go straight to you guys as it has your name on it.
MZG1 leader

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:20 pm

Stoopid glitch in the matrix! Edited the post, makes 4 copies of it in the same thread and i deletes all of them...

here it is again

Bandwidth is not an issue. We get 500Gb per month. We were approaching 200Gb a month. i turned on, on the fly compression and smashed that down to 95Gb per month. :D
We have 400Gb to play with per month. Please feel free to smash it with hosting images on our server. :D

The large size/high rez issue is not unique to our image uploader, this is also tru of imageshack/photobucket too....

Though I do agree with the resolution problem, the server should store the image in it's native resolution, but when presented in viewtopic.php when reading the thread, should auto-resize, and if someone wants to view the full large image, they can click it for the full blown res if they wish, like I've seen on other forums.

ImageImage

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:22 pm

Mattigins wrote:Pete, the forum already does that..

does what? auto resize images?! not in IE it dont. :)

ImageImage

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:15 pm

Here, let me clarify my point of view on this in a more logical manner.

The benefits of having all images on ClubCJ are that it means threads won't lose their images even if the host for whatever reason removes them either by the choice of the user, or by policy of the host, or the host going down.

The negatives however are increased costs for ClubCJ (last I checked the club didn't have that much money to blow) and increased frustration for users who are required to re-upload photos to the ClubCJ server everytime they want to repost a photo particularly if they've just copied the URL from another location.

Practically speaking, how do the admins see this working in the future? Are all non-ClubCJ image hosts going to be blocked? How about Facebook too then?

I do see the benefit of having them stored centrally particularly for the important threads such as DIY guides, but for the majority of images posted on here such as "photochop my car" or "what do you think of these rims" etc... I don't think it'll really make a difference since noone really cares if those images ever did go down.

Furthermore, as an end user, I like having easy central control over my images. With Facebook I could easily delete the album which would stop others linking to it, and with Imageshack, I can easily block access to the image. Unless ClubCJ wants to become a new central host for other sites (highly unlikely!), I wouldn't want to have to login to ClubCJ and manually delete all the photos I've uploaded in the event that I wanted to take them down for whatever reason.

Therefore my suggestions are either:
1. Make it non-compulsory but just an automatic suggestion to have images hosted by ClubCJ particularly if the thread is in a certain location such as DIY or reviews.

2. Automatically download images hosted on other servers to ClubCJ and update the image tags appropriately. This may violate copyright but at least it won't frustrate the users so much.

3. Introduce easy controls for users to manage their uploaded photos (as well as easily delete them, identify where they are linked to, etc).

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:53 pm

I have noticed double posting when people are posting images and also quotes.

Return to “Rules & Information”