***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Suggestions - who can view/post in FOR SALE

Rules - Information - Suggestions - Feedback - Frequently Asked Questions & Forum Help Centre.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

funnyfi
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby funnyfi » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:41 am

just to chime in, I was over at jdmstylestuning.com and was wondering would a section for misc./other items for sale be good? Some pretty interesting stuff was there (i.e. cameras + lens...BMX bikes)

timu
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby timu » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:18 am

Theres nothing stopping sellers enforcing their own "new member" sell policies, as long as they make it known in the sale thread. At other forums Ive been involved with, some sellers would request full or partial pre-payment for items for users if users had joined within the last x months and had under x posts.

It worked quite well because most of the sellers were long time members, and had quite good reps that could easily be traced through the forum, so new members were quite assured that the seller was reputable.

Of course it does mean you might miss out on some sales with some people not wanting to put up cash without seeing the item, especially depending on the value of the item, but if you leave it up to each seller, then its up to them to balance that out I suppose.

Personally though, you guys who have been here selling for ages have already proven your rep, so I don't think its unreasonable to ask newbies with no traceable history on the forum to prove their trustworthiness by stumping up part or all of the cash before you commit to a sale.

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:46 pm

I guess to avoid being "stood up" by buyers, the best way is to have payment occur before making the delivery. This would be a condition the buyer needs to accept, taking into consideration the risks involved.

The seller reputation system would work only in cases where the person has actually sold more than one item, otherwise it's based on general involvement in the club.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:08 pm

The issue Danny is that some people say they are buying the item and then don't transfer the money and don't say anything, or just pull out.

While the seller still keeps the item, it is an inconvenience to knock back other prospective buyers as the item is sold, and then have to readvertise.
Last edited by LZY_EYE on Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick07
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Nick07 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:09 pm

dannyboi wrote:I guess to avoid being "stood up" by buyers, the best way is to have payment occur before making the delivery. This would be a condition the buyer needs to accept, taking into consideration the risks involved.

The seller reputation system would work only in cases where the person has actually sold more than one item, otherwise it's based on general involvement in the club.

+1

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:32 pm

LZY_EYE wrote:The issue Danny is that some people say they are buying the item and then dont transfer the money and dont say anything, or just pull out. While the seller still keeps the item, it is an inconvenience to knock back other prospective buyers as the item is sold, and then have to readvertise.

Right on the money there.

Seriously, it is actually a very painful process and I've gotten to the point where when I want to sell something I try to email it to my list of friends who I've met in real life through the club and ask them first. I also do this at a discount and don't require any deposit/etc because I know them well enough and would rather the hassle free transaction.

Truth be told, a lot of guys who do sell things on forums aren't doing it for a profit and are also interested in helping other members... but getting stuck with people low balling, stand ups, etc... just make it such a hassle to deal with.

I agree we could implement deposit-requirements when selling to hold an item, etc... but maybe it's easier just to have a 10 post minimum before accessing PM's and the FOR SALE threads. I don't care if my item isn't "sold" according to the online forum, but what I do care about is whether I have my time wasted. Case in point was the number of people who stood me up for that damn Rockford Fosgate subwoofer I sold for $150 (RRP was like $600).

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

SXLancerMum
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby SXLancerMum » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:13 pm

It's no different to trying to sell something through ebay. I got stuffed around the 4 times I had my sons RX7 on there.

I still think that there's nothing you can do about people buying stuff and not paying. If they're not going to pay for it they're not going to send a deposit in the first place but will still stuff you around for a week with the whole yeah I haven't had a chance to get to the bank or whatever.

And saying that they can't buy until they've made X amount of posts doesn't really work either. I'm sure there are some members on here (as with everywhere) who have been around for ages and still do it. A lot of people are extremely nice but are still bad when it comes to paying for stuff.

The only thing to do is not to send the item until you receive full payment and it will just stay for sale for a while longer if you don't get your money.

It would be nice if when people said they'd do something that they actually do it but we do not live in that ideal world.

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:57 pm

At least they are members of the community and are a tad more accountable... compared to people who sign up just to make an offer but change their mind.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

Return to “Rules & Information”