***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

ClubCJ's View On Swearing

Rules - Information - Suggestions - Feedback - Frequently Asked Questions & Forum Help Centre.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:39 pm

I will just add to Matt's statement that you can not misspell a swear word or change a letter for a number or symbol. This is still read as a swear word.

Lets just keep it clean and sociable.

I dont like to have to give warning out as I consider most of you friends.

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:47 pm

Hello Matt,

I don't object to your attention for my unintentional swearing in the chat,
I agree the "Rules are the Rules"

However the context and intent in which the word was expressed should also be assessed prior to Spontaneous and Final Warnings from you or any other.

No one took any notice or bias against the word because it was used in a Humorous & Jestful Manner... full stop.

However, you sought fit to send me a PM with a "Final Warning" because I typed the word "sh!t" twice.
One time each in different chat lines 11 chat lines apart.
Thank God I didn't use it Three times !!

As I stated above Matt:
I don't object to your attention for my unintentional swearing in the chat,
I agree the "Rules are the Rules"

Unfortunately, only a Hypocritical & Bias Ruling could Dis-Allow words like "Sh1t" but accordingly allow acronyms such as:
WTF -- FFS -- FCUK -- FARK -- FATS -- FO -- WGAF -- WGAS.
Link = Internal Slang.

"Apply your Swearing Ruling Equally and Un-Biasally" Matt !!

Kind Regards: Sam.
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:51 pm

@ Matt

I'm not upset about being warned in general, Matt.

I'm upset about receiving a "Final Warning" rather than 1st & 2nd Warnings prior to a Final Warning.
All facets of Life contain a stepped approach to warnings prior to a Final Warning.
How is ClubCJ any different Matt, can you please explain this...?
Where's the Fair & Judicial Manner you Portrait in your New Constitutional Rules Book...?
Where's my 1st & 2nd Warnings before my Final Warning Matt...?

I'm equally upset about the allowance to deliberately manipulate the spelling in a word by using numbers and/or symbols to express the same meaning with intent.

It clearly happens everywhere in this forum and you know it, Matt.

I wrote the word "sh1t" using the number "1" as an example of what has been allowed to pass un-warned until you decided to "Final Warn" me,
and consequently turned this entire incident into a "Biased Farce"

I strongly believe you have chosen to Target me because you need a "Guinea Pig" to "Ban" as an Example for others.

Get-Off My Case Matt, and Point your Arrow elsewhere !!
I can Point also Matt, and you may not Welcome My Knowledge & Aim !!
I usually don't miss. Re: Mr Tripp.

Kindest Regards: Sam....:x
Last edited by SAM-24A on Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam ..... *thumb*

Mr Charisma
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Mr Charisma » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:09 pm

I left another forum of which I had spent 5+ years and contributed 3000+ post over something similar were the Admins changed the rules and it was not equally nor transparently enforced.

The first post is open to extreme bias - we accept swearing is apart of everyday life but do it multiple times and you may get a warning? Do it again (in the same day, same week, same month, same year??) and you may get banned? Again back to bias..

I don't swear much - if at all - when on the internet, but if I slip up once and get a warning, something will hit the fan.
Love that car!

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:43 pm

What I don't get is if there's an automatic filter which can spot it, why not just post up a warning asking the user to change their post to remove the banned word? A warning/ban should really be saved for those who go out of their way to circumvent the filter or disrupt the community.

I'm not a huge fan of this rule purely because it's a bit excessive, and there are plenty of other ways which the forum mods can fight disruptive posting. Seems a bit OTT but hey it's not my role to decide on the rules.

ps. Are acronyms still acceptable then? e.g. WTF

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Mr Charisma wrote:The first post is open to extreme bias - we accept swearing is apart of everyday life but do it multiple times and you may get a warning? Do it again (in the same day, same week, same month, same year??) and you may get banned? Again back to bias...

Thanks Phil (Mr Charisma)
I Entirely Second that and add:

Mattigns wrote:
we do not send out warnings for every swear word we see because we do understand that it is apart of everyday life for some people.

Mattigins wrote:
if a new potential member or sponsor comes on the website and see's swearing then it could be a deterrent for them to join.

I think it could be detrimental if they read the "Administerial Bias" that is being displayed within...:roll:

Regards: Sam... :x
Sam ..... *thumb*

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:58 pm

Funny, im doing year 12 english on this sort of stuff.

I personally swear my head off. Every second word out of my mouth is usually the F'word or C'word. On the forums Its alot easier to control what you say because you have time to think about it.

Swearing is apart of our Australian Identity, its a marker of groups and reflects who we are. I obviously wouldnt want to see the F'word, C'word all around the place but I believe the warning system is a bit flawed. As others have said, what if its on the same page, within a few hours, minutes rar rar rar. I think those who need to be punished for this are those who are trying to circumvent their way around the system as JaCe said.

We are all adults here and yes, swearing is offensive, but honestly, I've seen this swear filter and i start to think more about what the person actually swore and got cancelled out than if i saw it with the swear word in it. Thats just my personal view.

Swear filter should stay either way, but acronyms and abbreviations, we cant police this entire system. New words are created everyday. I call people gronks nowadays, but I garrentee that none of you will even know what it means haha.

I rekon we just need to be a little more carefull with the punishment over this thing. Sam, your a valued member of clubcj and your knowledge is extremely extensive, I agree with you entirely.
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

zeroshift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby zeroshift » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:02 pm

tadz0rz wrote:Swearing is apart of our Australian Identity, its a marker of groups and reflects who we are.

You're right. It separates the bogans from... everyone else. And it's one of the main things that makes me embarassed to be associated with Australia.

I'm all for the filter.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:05 pm

You dont have to be a bogan to swear. Thats just generalizing.

zeroshift
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby zeroshift » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:06 pm

Ignoring the occasional outlier, I think you'll find it's a fairly accurate generalisation.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:09 pm

Tadz i am really interested in you view on this as i respect your views and you are very close to the age of people we are trying to protect.

Young people today are brought up on text.

So is it normal for children and teenagers to to us a lot of swearing in text? eg WTF, FFS?

Is it considered offensive and bad language?

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:09 pm

Still disagree. Swearing does not make you a bogan. I can think of a lot of people in my firm and people who we do business with who swear, and none of them would be considered bogan.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:10 pm

What about other ethnolects? Cant disregard them can you? Swearing is becoming more and more generally accepted.

I agree since it is in the written form we have to be more aware of what we are actually saying. We are on a forum, we can see what we are writing. Yes to the swear filter but times are changing.

Return to “Rules & Information”