***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Do you use "hidden" status on yr profle? READ THIS

Rules - Information - Suggestions - Feedback - Frequently Asked Questions & Forum Help Centre.

Moderator: Senior Moderators

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Do you use "hidden" status on yr profle? READ THIS

Postby The X » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:50 pm

Some changes are being made to how "hidden" status will work in the near future.
(For those who don't know what this is, it's a setting you can change in your profile - so you don't appear on the "who's online" panel).

As of next weekend, if you have your profile set to "hidden" - you will become visible again, the moment you post in any thread, start a new thread, edit an existing one or post in chat.

I do not see the logic of people parking their profile in "hidden" status for extended periods of time but still continuing to post when clearly your username will appear in the Last 15 active topics or participating in chat.

Being hidden, but participating defeats he whole purpose of being "hidden".

You still will be able to be remain hidden and read, reply and send PMs and read the threads passively, if you do not wish to be disturbed. Remember the moment you post/edit in a thread or chat, is when you will automatically become visible again.

I'm sorry it has come to this, but the reason for these changes is that a select few are "abusing" the feature to cause trouble and other unsavoury activities.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:58 pm

The main Offender who stated all this Hidden Status was your Administrator Chubb .... so lets see if the same changes apply to him.

BTW ... I know you changed my profile earlier this evening as part of your testing, testing, testing ..... :roll:

I was Hidden and became visible as soon as I posted to Clinton .... So I changed back again and you went off-line for a short while.
Last edited by SAM-24A on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:00 pm

Question. So how can I change it back to hidden using my android phone using the normal site? Many of us only use our phones and not our computers.

I can not use the drop down boxes on the home page to access my profile. Can this be looked at please.

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:03 pm

And why all the secret squirrel stuff? If you're on you should be visible

My 10 cents
- Self tuned - work in progress - tune revision #16_03
- GS 3 port controlled wooooot :)
- Lowered on Kings
- Black Evo X FMIC/ Evo IX BOV/ Depo HFC/ UR UICP
- Awesome self installed Alpine/JL Audio sound system
- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:06 pm

Is it going to continue that Admin can see if hidden members are online? It is not right if it is the case.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:09 pm

SAM-24A wrote:The main Offender who stated all this Hidden Status was you Administrator Chubb .... so lets see if the same changes apply to him. BTW ... I know you changed my profile earlier this evening as part of your testing, testing, testing ..... :roll: I was Hidden and became visible as soon as I posted to Clinton .... So I changed back again and you went off-line for a short while.

You're quick to accuse, but lets talk facts. I was testing the code as evidenced by my "test" threads in various forums to make sure it was working correctly. You also happened to post at the time which meant you got "unhidden" - which I did notice. Once I completed my validation testing, I've normalised the code to as it was. and I did go to the effort to revert you back into hidden. So there are the facts.

I'll add that this applies to everyone, including me, no discrimination here. I hardly ever use hidden so it's a bit of a moot point.
However if a mod or admin needs to sit there, hidden and observe troublemakers in action, then it's their prerogative to do that, if it aids in managing the troublemakers in the forum.
Last edited by The X on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Of course Pete ...... Your always "Full of Facts" .... but only when it involves me .... :roll:

BTW .... can you please explain why this has suddenly appeared on my profile page

"you have tried too many times"
Last edited by SAM-24A on Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:20 pm

The more i think about this the more it makes me uncomfortable
WHY WHY WHY is this feature there? It's a rather seedy feeling to know that people are creeping around the forums.

- Lowered on Kings

- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

bunnishiwa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby bunnishiwa » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:21 pm

Maybe we should all use the feature, it will look like no one is ever here......

- Lowered on Kings

- Whiteline Rear Swaybar

Noli Timere Messorem

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:27 pm

Marc,
It's just an out of the box feature of the forum software and many other brands of forum software have the same feature available.
You'll never resolve the issue of "lukers" - they can also just not log in and do the same and read the public threads. So either way you're going to have lurkers some way or another.
It does have it's valid uses if people use it considerately - sometimes people just want to pop in, read a few threads quickly and pop out without having someone seeing you online and expecting interaction or responses to their PMs.
There are pros and cons to both sides of the argument. I'd like to think that as adults we can do the right thing.

ImageImage

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:29 pm

i`m of the same opinion as marc, remove the option totally.

creeps me out, sorta like someone looking through a keyhole.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:34 pm

VRX_Pete wrote: sometimes people just want to pop in, read a few threads quickly and pop out without having someone seeing you online and expecting interaction or responses to their PMs.

I disagree with this POV.
The choice should always remain with the person whether or not they want to reply. So what if I log on see half a dozen msgs that I'm NOT willing to respond to?
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:31 pm

lol, the "whos online" is going to look like a light show, hidden ppl posting something then logging off and on again to stay hidden, names will be appearing and dissapearing in a flash of colour :P

u dont even need to be online to read chat so theres no advantage there.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1

http://goo.gl/GrUosm

Meaty
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Meaty » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:34 pm

wow this constant "stop picking on me" "i want it my way" attitude...no wonder i cant handle more then a brief glance at the topics these days... Pete, you have always done a top job, and im sure you always will... haters always gotta hate...

Return to “Rules & Information”