***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Lancer ES with a lot of oversteer??

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:13 pm

I have driven a lot of CJs and have never experienced one that tends to oversteer. These include stock, modded etc.

The new tyres may still have to wear in a little bit to get maximum grip.

The lancer being front wheel drive will generally understeer.

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:19 pm

I have modded the car to oversteer in certain situations. Before that though, ASC will kick in if not turned off. But before modding, even driving it on the limits, it was hard to so much as a smidge of oversteer, understeer was the more than likely result.

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:32 pm

When the bodyweight rolls from the right to the left going around a roundabout it can easily make the back let go... I've never driven hard enough for it to happen in any other situation though...

Pay attention to the weight shift... If you shift it more gently and then turn hard, rather than just flinging it over, it might not let go...

And ASC isn't magic... If the tyres aren't spinning really fast (which they aren't because they're the back tyres on a FWD car) or at different speeds (which they won't be if they both let go) it'll take a second to notice whats happening.

Gotta remember it was wet. You can make a car do anything in the wet. Except go faster :P

ASC will activate as soon as its readings hit a certain combination of values. If you were swerving to avoid a car you wouldn't want it to lag. If you don't want it interfering, turn it off. But you're probably breaking the law by that stage :P

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:56 pm

You will have encounters with it but it will mostly leave you alone :P

I find its instantaneous in the dry. Theres a specific corner where the road changes from flat to slanting down to the left very suddenly near me. Its easy to make it come on around there and it always does straight away if it does.

Basically, loss of grip is the enemy of our ASC :P its designed to stop you coming off the road and spinning/sliding, not to help you go fast :)

Life
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Life » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:06 am

I've done the same myself in an Aspire after lifting off during an unexcepted CVT lurch. Back kicked out, ASC took a little to kick in. Modern FWD's tend to oversteer instead of understeer imo. My Magna oversteers like crazy.

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:56 am

Never have i experienced Oversteer in the Lancer nor any FWD Car.

I have lost the back end once in the Lancer, and that was just driving too fast for the conditions.

the only way i could see getting oversteer would be braking mid corner which therefor throws the weight of the car to the front, loosing the friction of the rear tires and the back end is now light so it will move around.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:32 am

Bruno, you said you weren't going very fast.... On most of the roundabouts I have been on, 60km/h in the wet on a roundabout in a stock car is pretty fast!!

I think you saying you might drive a bit safer in the wet is the best advice :D

Alileighju
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby Alileighju » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:47 pm

Always understeering up in the mountains, I thought understeering is expected in a FWD car, nevertheless, the lancer handles pretty well IMO.

Life
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Life » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:54 pm

bd-850 wrote:Never have i experienced Oversteer in the Lancer nor any FWD Car. I have lost the back end once in the Lancer, and that was just driving too fast for the conditions. the only way i could see getting oversteer would be braking mid corner which therefor throws the weight of the car to the front, loosing the friction of the rear tires and the back end is now light so it will move around.

Losing the back end is the definition of oversteer.

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:26 pm

Life wrote:[quote:8b907184da=bd-850]Never have i experienced Oversteer in the Lancer nor any FWD Car. I have lost the back end once in the Lancer, and that was just driving too fast for the conditions. the only way i could see getting oversteer would be braking mid corner which therefor throws the weight of the car to the front, loosing the friction of the rear tires and the back end is now light so it will move around.[/quote:8b907184da] Losing the back end is the definition of oversteer.

No Not really, its me driving like a d!ckhead, too fast for the conditions, and the rear loosing Grip. so Drifters must have MASS amount of oversteer coz they are always loosing the rear end.

Rule of thumb is FWD Understeer because the car pulls the back end around and RWD Oversteer because the Rear is Pushing the car

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:27 pm

Should probably take it easy on roads you don't know :roll:

It would have to be the weight rolling over too quickly if you're not pulling the handbrake or anything... Lancers normally under-steer especially in the wet.

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”