***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Handling: CJ vs SS ute, wow!!!

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

aznlancer08
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Handling: CJ vs SS ute, wow!!!

Postby aznlancer08 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:56 am

The CJ wont be as quick as the SS (VY or Z model, but who cares, they're the same :lol: ) on a straight line.

This SS ute in front of me this morning was pulling some trick along the straight line on the freeway doing about 100 on a 80 road and over took me, curious to see how this douschebag can handle a large round about, I tailed him/her at the rount about, slowed to about 60 clicks an hour, and whipped the turn along the round about. No brakes. But I had to brake, because the SS couldn’t do the same and braked and I was pretty close behind him/her at the time!!!

Keep in mind I'm on stock tyres and suspension (have an ES), bascially a stock ES (CVT version). I noticed that the skidding warning came on but the car never lost control.

After going around the round-about, it seems that the driver of that *awesome* SS ute took off, I stepped on the gas and by the time I caught up, which is about 3-4 seconds, he/she had to stop to make a turn.

Would have loved to see how it'd handle around the tight bends and swivels 3 km's down the road….ah well. He/she prolly would fly off the road if he tried to do what I do in the lancer, haahaha!
If you see a blue lancer in Melbourne and it looks like a VRX, that'll be me!

bungfritz
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby bungfritz » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:05 am

If the skidding warning came on whilst you were cornerng, then it was most likeley that your ESP was intervening and would have done the braking for you as you cornered. I guess therefore when you said that you didn't have t brake whilst going round the round about at 60 isn't exactly true =p

Anyway back to the topic, whether or not the ss ute driver was driving the car to it's maximum potential, I guess it's not as surprising as youdmight think to find a lancer can handle faster than the commodore around tight corners.

Firstly the lancer weighs a lot less, which does help a lot ESP when it comes to tight turns. Secondly, although it is the sport variant of the ute, it is still a ute at the end of the day and with the long wheelbase and lightish rear end, it can get a bit tailey and therefore dangerous if your driving really fast.

At the end of the day, I guess the lancer can be faster than a ss ute sound a roundabout. Power isn't always everything.

blanka
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby blanka » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:37 am

think the cj will give the vy a pretty good go on a straight
Uchiha Itachi

aznlancer08
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby aznlancer08 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:56 am

yes, coming to think of it, that's right the CJ weighs less and also has ESP which would have braked when the skid warning came on. but heck, it still handles a lot better than i would have expected, compared to other competing class cars and the larger cars.
If you see a blue lancer in Melbourne and it looks like a VRX, that'll be me!

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:13 am

Ute drivers sometimes have stuff in the back they don't wanna damage by taking corners hard etc. man...

Just a thought, I drive my dad's Ute all the time and sometimes if he leaves stuff in the back you gotta slow waaaay down on the corners or it SLAMS into side of the tray... maybe he had something on-board?

Either way tho - wouldn't be surprised if our cars out-performed an SS sedan, I had a VT commodore for 5 years and it's like towing a boat compared to driving a lancer... I'm always having to break thru chicane's because of holden / ford drivers. I doubt they could have improved the handling toooo much from back then... it's still just as heavy a car...

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:42 am

My VS commodore ute does the 1/4 in 14.1secs and thats a V6. The Ralliart stock does the 1/4 in 14.2secs. So how do you figure a stock CVT 2L ES could beat or even keep up with a VY/Z ute????

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:31 am

he SAID he was gettin killed on the straights man...

handling, not dragging....

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: Handling: CJ vs SS ute, wow!!!

Postby Speedie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:42 am

aznlancer08 wrote:After going around the round-about, it seems that the driver of that *awesome* SS ute took off, I stepped on the gas and by the time I caught up, which is about 3-4 seconds, he/she had to stop to make a turn.

Would have loved to see how it'd handle around the tight bends and swivels 3 km's down the road….ah well. He/she prolly would fly off the road if he tried to do what I do in the lancer, haahaha!

Clearly not. corners after round-a-bout 3kms. Isn't there another thread where Tadz and a few others ragged on commodore drivers about the driving behaviuors?? Yet its okay for a lancer driver to drive like a 'commodore driver'? Reckless driving is reckless driving regaurdless of what car your in. If aznlancer08 wanted to see if the lancer could perform as well as a commocore ute it should have been done at a race track not on public roads endangering others lives.

STACYS

Postby STACYS » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:47 am

i was gonna comment as to my expirence with a XR6 ute yesty thru Glenmore park but after reading that ill keep it to my self :P

Tho CJ's handle very well i was impressed !

Paggsy
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Re: Handling: CJ vs SS ute, wow!!!

Postby Paggsy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:08 pm

Speedie wrote:
aznlancer08 wrote:After going around the round-about, it seems that the driver of that *awesome* SS ute took off, I stepped on the gas and by the time I caught up, which is about 3-4 seconds, he/she had to stop to make a turn.

Clearly not. corners after round-a-bout 3kms. Isn't there another thread where Tadz and a few others ragged on commodore drivers about the driving behaviuors?? Yet its okay for a lancer driver to drive like a 'commodore driver'? Reckless driving is reckless driving regaurdless of what car your in. If aznlancer08 wanted to see if the lancer could perform as well as a commocore ute it should have been done at a race track not on public roads endangering others lives.

I agree with you Speedie... I don't really think this thread adds value to the forums. No offence at the OP but maybe take an angle like "So this event lead me to think about whats possible on the track"

I dont like the idea of shit canning anyone on what / how they drive it. At the end of the day its what you can afford to buy and driving within your limits (while still keeping within the legal ones).

/gets off soapbox :)

blanka
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby blanka » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:11 pm

Speedie wrote:My VS commodore ute does the 1/4 in 14.1secs and thats a V6. The Ralliart stock does the 1/4 in 14.2secs. So how do you figure a stock CVT 2L ES could beat or even keep up with a VY/Z ute????

ur commodore modded?
Uchiha Itachi

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:23 pm

he's just saying.... it's the same as posting up that you've been over 200kph on highways speedie...

I've noticed this too... I don't have to slow down for sections of road that other cars really do have to slow down for....

I've noticed that I can simply "throw the car thru" chicanes and roundabouts, where in the commodore I'd have to break or loose traction... it's not unsafe to go faster round a roundabout than other drivers if your car corners better... it's called "driving within YOUR limits, not the limits of ppl around you"

don't wanna rub anyone up the wrong way, but.... I see his point...

"Handling: CJ vs SS ute, wow!!!"

The CJ EATS a lot of bigger cars on corners.... EATS them in handling.... NOT saying "any car" but... a lot of bigger 'stock-ish' cars won't take corners like we can (safely)...

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:17 pm

1. yes my commodore is modded, zurst, edit and throttle body.

2. @ Jazzy_B do you throw your car through corners while on the arse of another car? Would you? What was the commodore drivers driving skill, and how would they react with someone pushing them through a round-a-bout?

I was pretty close behind him/her at the time!!!
which would indicate that this is unsafe driving, its all well and good qouting 'driving within your limits' but doing so while pushing someone in front of you?

And yes I know I've posted that I have exceeded 200kph on a highway but I was the only vechile on the road so if something would have happend my vechile would have been the only one

Superfly
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Superfly » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:45 pm

What huge surprise that a Lancer would handle better through turns and chicanes than a car almost twice it's weight. Did the other driver know you were racing?!! I know this was meant to be a light hearted comparo but if the other driver had hit the anchors and you ended up in his tray all that handling wouldn't have counted for much.
Where are my keys?!

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Its just the FWD vs RWD argument all over again.

FWD cars - like our Lancer - are 'pulled' through the corner by the front tyres, and therefore tend to follow smoothly through a corner. RWD cars - like the SS ute in question - are 'pushed' through the corner by the rear tyres, causing a tendency to spin out, etc.

Take the car out of the equation. Imagine being tied to an inanimate object behind you. As you turn left and right, it follows you exactly, right? Thats FWD. Now imagine its not inanimate, and its pushing you left and right. You'd automatically be forced to turn left and right, whilst all the power is coming from behind you. This would have the effect of pushing you towards the centre of the turn as the 'object' tries to overtake you. Thats RWD.

Hence, this thread is stupid as everyone knows our Lancers will kick any RWDs ass in a circuit/corners. On the dragstrip, we may as well take a toilet break.

As for the rest of you, get off your soapboxes, this goes back to the shit I was getting when I lost my license. No ones perfect, he was just having a bit of harmless fun on a stretch of road about 200m long from what I can gather. Bugger off and leave him alone.

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”