***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Workspace Threat

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Ronan.Butler11
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Re: Workspace Threat

Postby Ronan.Butler11 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:05 pm

say you are working on the front of your car, you could put the back of the car onto the grass where the dirt is on that photo and jack up the fron on the flat driveway. provided it isnt muddy or dewey when you are doing it the back of the car should hold, i would buy some wheel chocks though just to make sure
"When I Grow Up, I Wanna Be An Evo! (9 MR with a filthy BOV)

'09 Lancer VRX
Modifications:
De-Res Then a 2.5" Dual Exit X-Force Axle back Exhaust
18" King Rims
Ralliart Snorkel
LED No. Plate lights and interior
*insert further useless modifications to make it seem like i'm good at this*

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 pm

Chocks behind the wheels you aren't working on too. Not having a footpath there should also prevent them trying to do you for blocking a pedestrian way.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:28 pm

Sam101 wrote:
Lancer1993 wrote:Hope you find a space, luckily I have the garage but that's about it as a suitable space to jack up the car. The drive is not very steep but unsuitable where jacks are involved and the back yard is gravel and grass, when its not mud.

Best bet is if the law is level then maybe some wooden blocks will help to stop the jack dig into the lawn?

Thought about the grass, but when it rains the next day or two the grass becomes really mushy, a bit sketch to place jack stands. Plus my dads old story of his friend working on his car that proceeded to slip from the jacks unbalanced upright and nearly cutting him in half gives me the shivers everytime i think of working on grass :/

Yeah I tried parking down the side of the house a few weeks ago, lets just say I made a mess of the lawn and my tyres and some deep ditches in the lawn trying to get the car off the lawn.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Sam101
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Sam101 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:47 pm

lancerdarryl wrote:The backup packing I meant was extra to the jack stands. It's job is stop the car falling to the ground if the jack stand fails.

that's what you meant, got it.

Sam101
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Sam101 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:48 pm

Ronan.Butler11 wrote:say you are working on the front of your car, you could put the back of the car onto the grass where the dirt is on that photo and jack up the fron on the flat driveway. provided it isnt muddy or dewey when you are doing it the back of the car should hold, i would buy some wheel chocks though just to make sure

the ground where the grass and dirty area is is not level. Really downgrade slopey that starts at my doorway.

Sam101
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Sam101 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:49 pm

Quismiff wrote:Chocks behind the wheels you aren't working on too. Not having a footpath there should also prevent them trying to do you for blocking a pedestrian way.

Yes, chocks! i have forgotten about those. Will need to pickup a pair before I start going under.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:45 pm

Sam101 wrote:
Quismiff wrote:Chocks behind the wheels you aren't working on too. Not having a footpath there should also prevent them trying to do you for blocking a pedestrian way.

Yes, chocks! i have forgotten about those. Will need to pickup a pair before I start going under.

Put them in after you lift the car, and take them out before lowering, I always found they get jammed up under the tyre when you bring the car down. Could just be my technique though. :lol:
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

Sam101
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Sam101 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:32 pm

Update here. I've kind of worked out a solution for this, feel free to chime in on your opinions. So with summer approaching, I decided to take the plunge and install a concrete slab with 1 of these 3x3 shed at Bunnings warehouse; https://www.bunnings.com.au/absco-sheds ... d_p0079534 ; https://www.bunnings.com.au/pinnacle-3- ... d_p0080616 ,that comes with installation for only 179$, which I'm happy to spend. (concrete is only 499-500$ range).

The driveway I mentioned has the uneven slope, but at the top where the gate is it goes in further:

Then this is what is after:

It's a narrow workspace, but I will have to compromise. I threw out the idea of installing a garage, as it's going to cost over $5000+ for the entire kit, excavator, concrete and labor. Only issue I'm looking at is an uneven surface as shown by the level.

Thinking of concreting the middle part where the grass is, clear bins etc. then that could be a solid workspace. I won't be able to concrete the sides, as the fence is too close to my neighbours, and the other side has drainage and air conditioning wires dug in.

Kind of a poor compromise in workspace but I'd rather this then working on a slope any day. Will update as the installation progresses.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:38 pm

I could use a couple of concrete strips up the side of the house.

A small 3x3 shed is better than nothing, mine is 2x4 so you're a whole square meter ahead LOL
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Sam101
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby Sam101 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:56 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:I could use a couple of concrete strips up the side of the house.

A small 3x3 shed is better than nothing, mine is 2x4 so you're a whole square meter ahead LOL

haha I feel the pain. Yeah, gonna slap the 3x3 slab at the end where the driveway and grass meet and call it a day. It's impossible for both private and companies to not charge over 5k in Sydney for a complete package.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:39 pm

what about a pair of ramps? Back the car into that area past the gate, position the ramps and drive the car up onto them?
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”