***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Close Call's

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Zac6221
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Close Call's

Postby Zac6221 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:24 am

Massive massive sigh of relief,

I was driving to work this morning and had the closest call in all my driving history.

Basically I was travelling on a 3 lane road ( Lanecove area )

there was an L-Plater in front of me so I decided to merge to the left lane, all nice and perfect till he decided to turn left narrowly missing me. It was honestly that close that I was suprised we didn't scrape against each other or that my mirror wasn't knocked off.

I saw the look on his dad's face and he was pretty shocked,
( Holden Caprice ) I was like wtf aren't L/P platers banned from V8's?

After that I just pulled ahead and found a quiet street to check for damage, luckily it was clean.

I'm only a P-plater myself but geez louise, the number 1 thing that every driver should know is to check their blind spots before merging.

You shouldn't even be on the road if you can't do a simple think like turn your head for a split second to check for the all clear.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:48 am

The roads around Artarmon / Lane Cove are notorious. When I am coming in to Lane Cove I sit in the right lane on the Pacific HWY so I can turn right onto Longueville and there are people all the time who shoot up the right then merge dangerously over to get onto the Gore Hill Fway.

Just have to put it down to experience. I guess as you drive more years it ia almost like you get to know what is going to happen before it does :)

And I am not too sure what the deal is with L platers being able to drive V8 / turbos. I think they can as they are being observed by an unrestricted licence holder.

Zac6221
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Zac6221 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:57 am

Yeah lzy_eye, It's a nightmare getting home round 5pm.

Thats why I only drive on the late shifts, I agree with experience all drivers adapt to these situations.

I for one remember the time when I first had to go through a roundabout - didn't know you had to give way to the traffic on the right.

Whoops - heheh, nothing bad happend though, just a lot of horn blaring.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:13 pm

I either start at 7.30am or 10.00am so I miss most of the peak hour both in the morning and afternoon so I am pretty lucky.

We all have to start somewhere. I was just fortunate to have 20 acres to learn to drive in!! I owned 3 cars before I even got my L's...

PS, you should come to our Thurs night meet if you are available :) Be good to meet you :)

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:15 pm

They can only drive V8's and Turbos f it is the only car in the household and they need special permission..... DOnt think any of them get it though
>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!
"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:25 pm

Learners are able to drive anything as far as i know, being one myself :P. One of my mates actually learns to drive in an V8 FPV boss 260 or something like that. I think as long as though you have a full licenced driver in the car, learners can drive anything. As for P plates, they cant drive V8's unless they have permission from their vicroads or whatevers applicable in each state. As spunky said, if its the only car in the household or similar.

Ive seen many close calls when it comes to learners and merging, especially on the freeway. Ive learnt not to trust any other drivers on the road, especially when merging onto the freeway, if someone looksl ike their gunan be an ass and not let me in, i just gun it. Theres no room for this stupid oh hes a learner and cant drive for s***. Im not an over confident driver, i know what im capable and i know where i need improvment but if other learners on the road arnt comfortable on the freeway, they shouldnt be on it. I went on the freeway my second day of having my licenced and my mum said i merge better than she does.

I understand that many learners dont have as much confident and experience as i might have but untill they feel THEY are ready to get on the freeway, they shouldnt be on it.

</rant>
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:40 pm

Try driving a bus on the Pacific Highway, Victoria Road, Ryde Road, King St Newtown, Hume HIghway around Ashfield etc etc - then talk to me about close calls!

Zac6221
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Zac6221 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:02 pm

Yeh - gotta give credit to all the bus driver's out there.

Don't understand how they put up with the s*** on our roads day in day out.

Yeh mate, i'll see if I can make the meet, tried to go to the Norwood one last time but got lost.

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:26 pm

nom nom nom

I wrote this somewhere b4... if you don't got confidence you should not be allowed behind the wheel of a car.

I don't give a shit if you build confidence overtime, you should not be allowed.

It only takes 1 mistake to kill a car load of people, and honestly most mistakes are made from hesitation/no confidence(1 in the same)

Yes overconfidence kills also, but at least there not scared when the situation calls for fast reactions.

When I first started driving, i pulled out of my driveway, drove to the F3, merged in, parked at a shopping center and watched some car movie.

Some people I know are too scared to put it into D

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:16 pm

I used to drive trucks for a living and there are a lot of idiots out there!
Try pulling up 42 tonnes when a woman pulls a u-turn in front of you!
I've had a few close calls so I can relate to what Bandit is saying!!
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

exaltd
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby exaltd » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:02 am

Wow, lucky you...

On the topic of V8's and learners, each state has different laws about who can and can not drive a V8. As far as i know, we here in Victoria can drive anything we want on learners. I've seen an L platers driving his dad's Merc SL65 AMG for crying out loud. I checked it out at that time that i was still a learner (about a yr and a half ago, and VicRoads told me that bit of info. so i don't know if that has changed now with the Graduated Licensing System).

As for learners, love them or loathe them, they do make many many mistakes especially when doing head checks, best to just stay the heck clear of them (2 second gap) or gun it to get out of the way, because they have a high chance of making a mistake.

That's my 2c worth. Once again, lucky u. :)

-EXALTD-

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:00 am

I've had a few close calls. On Saturday I was turning out of a KFC carpark and it was a four lane road (two lanes each way) I was turning into the outside lane and someone was coming in the inside lane so I turn while watching both sides, next thing I know he starts changing lanes without indicating and he ****ing beeps his horn at me...

it was a commodore bogan, surprise surprise...
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:26 am

No offence mate, you were in the wrong. You have to give way to both lanes of traffic before pulling out. Sometimes that law is a bit silly, but other times it makes sense, as you found out :wink:

Jmi

Postby Jmi » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:05 pm

I think in Australia, drivers are depending abit too much on drivers indicating.

Though it is imperative that changing lanes or turning needs signaling, drivers need to develop a habit to anticipate all sort of situations when on the roads.

When I learn how to drive, the the first few things my instructor taught me on the roads is to observe and anticipate other vehicles and look for signs the vehicles around is to change lanes or make a turn, and make necessary adjustments to my speed, distance and position accordingly.

From what I observe, drivers indicate and at times fail to check blind spots because of the assumption "I signaled, they will give way to me." mentality.

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:36 pm

^ too true mate... too true

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”