***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Did you know...?

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:23 am

Dosen't really bother me as most of the time I'm doing 100k/h and have to drive 200km to see a traffic light or round-a-bout

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

mitsfan
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mitsfan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:21 am

aussie027 wrote:Mitsfan wrote--

Did you know ...

You can significantly reduce interior road noise by applying a good quality moisturizing tyre paint to the inward-facing and outward-facing walls of your tyres?

Mate never heard of this before, are you serious???
If so can you give us all a paint brand, name, and cost for this???

The road noise from these Advan tyres on rough bitumen is terrible and short of pulling the car interior apart to fit Dynamat everywhere or getting new tyres this would be a great alternative if it works. How it would work I dont really understand as I didnt think noise is coming thru the sidewalls but from the contact patch of the tread.

Thanks.

Everyone was probably checking to see if my post was on 1st April - but yes, I am serious.

I used Zaino Perfect Tire Gloss, on the wheels and also on all the rubber seals around the doors and boot/hatch (and also on the rubber around the engine bay touching the bonnet). This is actually a clear product, not a black paint, but the tyres come up looking very nice and black.

The extent of the reduction in sound will depend upon:
- how dry and hard your rubber is to start with.
- how many coats of moisturizer you apply, how liberally, and how often.

Rough bitumen road noise is still too high with the stock tyres in interior noise, but I did notice a reduction and change (lowering in frequency) so I thought that others might like to know about this in case they want to try it themselves. (I would expect careful tyre selection to provide a more dramatic improvement, and if this is done when your tyres first need replacing then this need not involve much if any additional expense either.),

The additional noise suppression is really a side benefit to moisturizing all your rubber, but given the degree of internal noise being an issue with CJ Lancers, owners tend to be interested in anything that helps, especially when it does not involve much cost, installation, or additional weight. :)

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:27 pm

Tarquin wrote:
tadz0rz wrote:I knew about the car speeding up but didnt know abouut the cruise set button slowing the car down. Interesting!

NOTE: It does not decelerate the car... It just coasts.... You still need the brake... ;-)

I live on the cruise buttons... love it for good flowing traffic doing 60 & 70km/h too....

Strange then, The car actually slows down on mine.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:28 pm

ofey wrote:
Tarquin wrote:
tadz0rz wrote:I knew about the car speeding up but didnt know abouut the cruise set button slowing the car down. Interesting!

NOTE: It does not decelerate the car... It just coasts.... You still need the brake... ;-)

I live on the cruise buttons... love it for good flowing traffic doing 60 & 70km/h too....

Strange then, The car actually slows down on mine.

Yes ofey, mine slows down too. but Like Tarquin said, it only Coasts. The same as just lifting your foot off the pedal. It doens't actually brake the car as such.

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Difference between RA and VRX I would think would be that VRX has a 2.4l and RA has 2.0l - even tho it's turbo - it's still a 2.0...

Would seem that the 2.0 engine can be set to cruise as low as 40kph but the 2.4 needs a bit more??

AND:
The roadnoise thing.... works a bit like this....

if u have a hard ruler overhang a table and u flick it, it makes that vibratey sound - this is because it is HARD and the vibrations (note - all sound is simply a vibration that has entered your ear) will travel along it without being hindered...

in contrast... if u have, say, a banana skin overhang the edge and u flick it, there will be little to no noise... This is because the banana skin DOESN'T keep vibrating and producing a noise, it is soft and absorbs or 'dampens' the initial flick, and doesn't keep vibrating.

Softening ur tyre-walls and seals has a similar effect. The sound is literally a vibration from the road, thru ur tyres, axles etc. etc. until it reaches ur ears. if you soften the tyre WALLS, this will in turn 'dampen' that vibrations, and doing ur seals will stop the vibrations from getting to your doors and windows or, at least dampen them as well.

This is also why lower profile tyres have more road noise... there are MORE hard, vibration transmitting surfaces so the vibrations/sounds don't have a chance to be silenced out by traveling through a thick, juicy banana skin... oh! i mean tyre ;-)

mitsfan
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mitsfan » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:32 pm

JazzyB,

Yes you are right about the theory, the interesting part is how much difference in road noise moisturizing rubber tyre walls and door seals can actually make. It is not something you find people discussing much online. Have you, or anyone else noticed any significant noise reduction from this?

vi93r
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby vi93r » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:55 pm

We found out at the cruise the Sportback VR spoiler is bulkier and higher up then the VRX version. (you could put the large clubcj decal on the vrx and see it but on the VR you couldnt see it at all)

Wish I had the vrx one :P, maybe we will see some more tail end gear for the SB soon.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:28 pm

When i sound deadened my wheel wells, i just used this K&N under body body spray on deadener. Improved it quite a bit for $40, still there is road noise of course but since i did that and got new tires fitted to the car, its now slightly less noisy than it was when i had the stock 16" tires on. And now i have 18"
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:11 pm

Did you know.....

If you have steelies on at a cruse you may get raped for it :)
>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!
"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:12 pm

ROFL! I gotta ask spunky, Why!?
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!

Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:17 pm

I think he is referring to the fact that about 19 people were paying out on him lol....

It was all in good fun though :)

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:34 pm

Did you know?
Spunkybobs steelies are actually Police issue chaser rims
and his tyres are filled with nitrogen for extra "Grip"
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:42 pm

Did you know?

Mizta B's car actually belongs to his mum.... and she pulls better lap times in it!

>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!

"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:45 pm

Lol! +1 just cos :-P

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:49 pm

JazzyB wrote:Difference between RA and VRX I would think would be that VRX has a 2.4l and RA has 2.0l - even tho it's turbo - it's still a 2.0...

Would seem that the 2.0 engine can be set to cruise as low as 40kph but the 2.4 needs a bit more??

My VRX is a 2.0.

And I can't set under 50. But I can coast it to 40 and still have it lock on.

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”