***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Rotten egg sulfer smell after driving ???

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

lancerboii
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Rotten egg sulfer smell after driving ???

Postby lancerboii » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:30 pm

Been getting a rotten egg sulfer smell after normal driving between 2000-Rpm and 3000-Rpm in my 2012 cj lancer activ M/T.
If the car is driven a little harder the scent of the smell will also increase.

Any ideas on this annoying STINKEY situation would be appreciated.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Re: Rotten egg sulfer smell after driving ???

Postby bumblebee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:18 pm

Perfectly normal on a new car.it comes from the exhaust.damn near all new unleaded cars that are new will do it. Nothing to worry about.it will eventually remove it self

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:56 pm

As mentioned in chat most of the time you smell rotten egg smell is because of the airconditoner smell. This is caused because of mould. To prevent this turn off your airconditoner off 2 minutes before turning off the car. Ensure the fan is still on. This will dry out all the water.

lancerboii
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby lancerboii » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:11 pm

[quote="bumblebee"]Perfectly normal on a new car.it comes from the exhaust.damn near all new unleaded cars that are new will do it. Nothing to worry about.it will eventually remove it self

Hey how many kilometers would you say the car should have done for it to fix its self? its only done 15,000k practically brand new still and has had basic fluid service with new oil filter and oil...
Last edited by lancerboii on Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lancerboii
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby lancerboii » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:14 pm

aspir3 wrote:As mentioned in chat most of the time you smell rotten egg smell is because of the airconditoner smell. This is caused because of mould. To prevent this turn off your airconditoner off 2 minutes before turning off the car. Ensure the fan is still on. This will dry out all the water.

yeah thanks Aspir3 il keep that in mind and remember to give that a go and see if the smell subsides.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:28 pm

I have seen some cars lose the smell in 6 months others can take few years.
It doesnt happen overnight. But will eventually happen.

Just to confirm.
After you have been driving and you stop and shut down the vehicle and exit the vehicle thats when you smell the rotten egg smell?
If so then extremely high chances its the exhaust as i mentioned and extremely common on new cars that are unleaded

lancerboii
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby lancerboii » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:32 pm

bumblebee wrote:I have seen some cars lose the smell in 6 months others can take few years.
It doesnt happen overnight. But will eventually happen.

Just to confirm.
After you have been driving and you stop and shut down the vehicle and exit the vehicle thats when you smell the rotten egg smell?
If so then extremely high chances its the exhaust as i mentioned and extremely common on new cars that are unleaded

YESS Thanks exactly what happens when i pull up trun off the car and get out, you can smell the eggyness ha.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:53 pm

lancerboii wrote:YESS Thanks exactly what happens when i pull up trun off the car and get out, you can smell the eggyness ha.

Dont quote me on it but im pretty sure its coming from the catalytic convertor but it is definitely coming from the exhaust.
Nothing to worry about

lancerboii
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby lancerboii » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:20 am

bumblebee wrote:
lancerboii wrote:YESS Thanks exactly what happens when i pull up trun off the car and get out, you can smell the eggyness ha.

Dont quote me on it but im pretty sure its coming from the catalytic convertor but it is definitely coming from the exhaust.
Nothing to worry about

Yeah its definitely coming from the CAT and exhaust, i read that its unburnt fuel which gives it the eggy smell.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:59 am

The rotten egg smell is a consequence earned from current emission requirements and is to a degree more or less noticeable depending on the tuning of the car and lode plus relative speed.

If you are receiving the smell while in the car, then all I can say is there is either a problem with a gap between body panels allowing the smell in
which relates to exhaust gasses entering the car, A dangerous situation or as suggested by asper 3 the air conditioner!
Either one covered under warranty.

I've had my ES sport for two and a half years from new and have not had this experience. Have to admit though, have only covered 6,000 plus ks.

lancerboii
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby lancerboii » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:08 am

sarusa wrote:The rotten egg smell is a consequence earned from current emission requirements and is to a degree more or less noticeable depending on the tuning of the car and lode plus relative speed.

If you are receiving the smell while in the car, then all I can say is there is either a problem with a gap between body panels allowing the smell in
which relates to exhaust gasses entering the car, A dangerous situation or as suggested by asper 3 the air conditioner!
Either one covered under warranty.

I've had my ES sport for two and a half years from new and have not had this experience. Have to admit though, have only covered 6,000 plus ks.

Yeah no problem with it coming into the cabin. Just when you pull up the smell is out side coming from the CAT and Exhaust , Might try changing to a different brand of petrol Currently using caltex 95.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Be interesting to see if it changes with the different fuel but my gut feeling is that it won't make a single ounce of difference

lancerboii
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby lancerboii » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:38 am

UPDATE !!!!!

So i reset the cars computer by disconnecting the negative cable and also disconnecting the computer cable as well, also change petrol stations and now running BP ULTIMAITE 95. The car seams to have stoped producing the sulfer smell witch is a good sign.

So i think it might have been bad fuel, i wouldn't recommend caltex fuels if you have this problem.
Try running BP ULTIMAITE 95 - 98.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:22 pm

Tried that fuel. Its garbage. Shell 98 for the win. Just my observations

VRXblack
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby VRXblack » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:44 pm

been running mine on 98 since i bought mine, i try to stick with BP (only thing my bike ever drank when i had her and not my new baby) never had any issues at all.

good to hear you you sorted it all out though!
Black 2010 VRX Lancer

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”