***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

First hand experience on CVT and Manual

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

undecentum
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby undecentum » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:49 pm

wolfeey152, Yes I feel it from 1st to 2nd. I also feel it when I go from 4th to 5th as well.
It is very smooth when you are sitting still and shift through gears. So it must mean that clutch is not engaging fully???
My first complimentary service is coming up in a week so I will let them know about this issue and see what they tell me...

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:29 am

Only issue I've had is under hard excelleration where some times I over rev on the up change, don't quite life my foot enough. Now I've been driving a while so I know it's not me but maybe I'm a little too aggressive. And I'm only talking like going from 2-3 at like 75km/h or so.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

wolfeey152
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby wolfeey152 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:20 am

undecentum wrote:wolfeey152, Yes I feel it from 1st to 2nd. I also feel it when I go from 4th to 5th as well. It is very smooth when you are sitting still and shift through gears. So it must mean that clutch is not engaging fully??? My first complimentary service is coming up in a week so I will let them know about this issue and see what they tell me...

Okay so I'm not the only one. Does it happen intermittently? Or always. Mine even grinds on occasion. But the dealership"sees nothing wrong"

undecentum
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby undecentum » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:46 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:Only issue Ive had is under hard excelleration where some times I over rev on the up change, dont quite life my foot enough. Now Ive been driving a while so I know its not me but maybe Im a little too aggressive. And Im only talking like going from 2-3 at like 75km/h or so.

I do that when I wear heavy thick soled shoes haha. I cannot feel much with some shoes...

undecentum
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby undecentum » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:52 pm

wolfeey152 wrote:[quote:737903c020=undecentum]wolfeey152, Yes I feel it from 1st to 2nd. I also feel it when I go from 4th to 5th as well. It is very smooth when you are sitting still and shift through gears. So it must mean that clutch is not engaging fully??? My first complimentary service is coming up in a week so I will let them know about this issue and see what they tell me...[/quote:737903c020] Okay so Im not the only one. Does it happen intermittently? Or always. Mine even grinds on occasion. But the dealershipsees nothing wrong

I played around with gear changing today and I think it is to do with the gearbox shape??? As in...when I push the stick into gears, the stick sometimes gets pushed too far left or right, out of position for the gear change.
I will ask the dealer about this issue and let you know. I will ask my mechanic friend and see what he says too.

wolfeey152
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby wolfeey152 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:38 pm

undecentum wrote:[quote:7e9ca89fe7=wolfeey152][quote:737903c020=undecentum]wolfeey152, Yes I feel it from 1st to 2nd. I also feel it when I go from 4th to 5th as well. It is very smooth when you are sitting still and shift through gears. So it must mean that clutch is not engaging fully??? My first complimentary service is coming up in a week so I will let them know about this issue and see what they tell me...[/quote:737903c020] Okay so Im not the only one. Does it happen intermittently? Or always. Mine even grinds on occasion. But the dealershipsees nothing wrong[/quote:7e9ca89fe7] I played around with gear changing today and I think it is to do with the gearbox shape??? As in...when I push the stick into gears, the stick sometimes gets pushed too far left or right, out of position for the gear change. I will ask the dealer about this issue and let you know. I will ask my mechanic friend and see what he says too.

Let me know how you go with that
I'm currently fighting with my dealership trying to get this fixed as I think it's synchros. feels as though the gearstick kind of hits something right?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:46 pm

undecentum wrote:I do that when I wear heavy thick soled shoes haha. I cannot feel much with some shoes...

Good point.

Is it going to far to buy some racing boots for driving around town :)

Viking
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Viking » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:36 am

The gearbox on the manual CJ is very 'notchy' and requires a reasonable push to get the stick to move. I don't have an issue with that - it's a lot better than the old HQ I used to have. Changing gear on that was like stirring a bowl of porridge; at least until I put the floor-shift conversion kit into it.

I've had the odd case where it won't go into reverse properly, probably because the synchro-gears aren't all lined up. A quick into neutral, clutch-out-and-in and it's all good.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:16 pm

I agree the manual could be better, and after 8 years some changes should have been made to the GB but I guess more people are buying the auto.

I drive a small truck a few times a week, needs work as the syncro for 4th is shot, very tricky up changing right now, even 2nd is having issues but I've learnt to work around them.

In slow traffic does anyone else start in 2nd in their CJ? I do on occasion when not carrying anyone else and on a flat surface.

wolfeey152
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby wolfeey152 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:11 pm

https://youtu.be/g1nTxSM51kI

https://youtu.be/lt89C0RLN8E

These are videos of what I seem to experience. Feels very very notchy and on colder days is mostly accompanied by grinding / crunching feeling . But now it's started heating up it seems to happen less and less

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:46 pm

How reliable are any of the CVTs?

My Nephew has a current model Pulsar, the CVT just died and Nissan is replacing the GB. From what I've read they have had an issue with them stalling and he had this happen a few weeks ago and then today.

Lucky its all covered and he'll just be without his only 2yo car for the next week or so.

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”