***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Warranty claims on 2nd hand lancers

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

greywolfe
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Warranty claims on 2nd hand lancers

Postby greywolfe » Tue May 12, 2015 7:55 pm

Just an FYI to everyone, if you purchase a lancer (or any mitsi) and you are not the first owner, make it a priority to change the vehicle ownership with mitsi to yourself (there is a document in the owners book I believe). I'm waiting on a goodwill warranty claim and mitsi has been screwing around for three weeks now asking for various information on who I am (the 2nd owner) and how long I've owned it, ect ect.

Changing the ownership in the mitsi system immediately will save you a mountain of headaches in the case of a claim.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:32 pm

What are the usual warranty lengths?

I have a MY09 Lancer, 2nd owner but now it's over 5yo the factory warranty is ended. Luckily I have a used car warranty for the next 6 years which should cover mechanical issues but there are a lot of exceptions.

Is it worth contacting Mitsubishi?

Also I got the drive belt thing sorted so should I be okay now?
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

VRX_08
Genius
Genius

Postby VRX_08 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:01 pm

I had a successful claim on my 2008 silver VRX Lancer here a few years ago! One of my smart keys went so Mitsubishi replaced it free of charge under warranty saving me nearly $500!

I rang up the Mitsubishi head office in Adelaide after buying both my cars as they both had remaing warranty on them and my red one still does to change the car's ownership details! It doesn't hurt to changing it anyways, they can do it over the phone and then too if they need to contact you for anything like recalls they can send it to the correct person! :)

kay christensen
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby kay christensen » Tue May 12, 2015 11:15 pm

used car warranty can be a head ache as i have it on mine and a issue with ETACS ( techy brain eg controls lights etc) and it wasnt covered so was up for $800 dollars as mitsi did say it does cover some electrically problems but not that etc so still have to be careful
No matter where you are, whether it's a quarter mile or half way across the world, you'll always be with me and always be my BROTHER - Dominic Toretto. RIPPaulWalker
(cj-red)

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed May 13, 2015 7:32 am

Only last week I went to my dealer about a air vent issue which unfortunately isn't covered, will try and fix it my self soon.

Many years ago when my CC was much newer the distributer went costing about $800 to replace, I know warranties were shorter then but the car was only about 5 years old at the time. Annoyingly I had just picked it up after paying a small fortune to fix another issue with the blinkers when it died on me less that 1km from the dealer.

Didn't realize the key fob thing cost so much.

I'll call them some time this week.

greywolfe
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby greywolfe » Wed May 13, 2015 9:38 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:What are the usual warranty lengths? I have a MY09 Lancer, 2nd owner but now its over 5yo the factory warranty is ended. Luckily I have a used car warranty for the next 6 years which should cover mechanical issues but there are a lot of exceptions. Is it worth contacting Mitsubishi? Also I got the drive belt thing sorted so should I be okay now?

09 lancers are still under the ten year drivetrain warranty, but that doesn't extend to the 2nd owner (typical manufacturer trick). You can however ask your dealer to put in a goodwill warranty claim if they think it might go through.

greywolfe
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby greywolfe » Tue May 19, 2015 8:47 pm

Just to update, I'm now up to the 4th (5th?) week of the car in the shop. Apparently some personnel changes at Mitsu headquarters have thrown a lot of warranty claims into limbo :(

greywolfe
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby greywolfe » Sun May 24, 2015 8:11 pm

fearfulmaster1 wrote:What is the goodwill claim for and which dealer has it?

Transfer case blew oil seals and ground the gears, I'm the 2nd owner.

It's with Sydney City Mitsu now. John apparently has four other in-warranty and goodwill claims in with head office currently, he's also awaiting payment auth on a few more, they are just dragging their feet :(

Into the 5th week now...

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon May 25, 2015 2:38 pm

I was told to just go to the mitsy web site and the 'contact' page under 'about us' then select 'update owner details' and fill in your details.

here is the link
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/about-us/contact-us

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Tue May 26, 2015 7:28 pm

greywolfe wrote:[quote:d3446086fc=fearfulmaster1]What is the goodwill claim for and which dealer has it?[/quote:d3446086fc] Transfer case blew oil seals and ground the gears, Im the 2nd owner. Its with Sydney City Mitsu now. John apparently has four other in-warranty and goodwill claims in with head office currently, hes also awaiting payment auth on a few more, they are just dragging their feet :( Into the 5th week now...

Ha, ha. I'm waiting for 6 months now to get my drive belt replaced.
Good luck with your claim

Seb

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”