***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

What does everyone think about the 'privacy glass'?

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

XTPN
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

What does everyone think about the 'privacy glass'?

Postby XTPN » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:35 pm

Hey everyone, I own a Lancer VRX 2009 and it has the privacy glass (un-tinted front end and tinted back-end). I'm thinking of doing of a complete tint as I feel like the 'privacy glass' seems out of place.

Do you guys dig the privacy glass?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:57 am

What do you mean a complete tint?

Just had my front glass done a month or so ago to match and it looks great. You may need to go darker than legal but the reality is unless you're a dick they won't pull you over for it.

Just consider the rears have no UV protection, you could have a very light tint added but depends on where the car is parked most of the day to help protect the interior.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

tencents
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby tencents » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:36 pm

All windows are uv filtered regardless tint or no tint I believe.
I also just had my front to match the rear
- GST basemap
- AMS boostpill
- Works High flow drop in air filter
- Evo X BPV
- UR UICP

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:49 pm

I was told the rears weren't UV, but they might have been wrong.

kay christensen
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby kay christensen » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:08 pm

when i had my sliver VRX lancer i had my mate do my tint he did 18% on the front and i think it was 35% on the back and it blended nicly

has i have not tinted mine yet with my red one
No matter where you are, whether it's a quarter mile or half way across the world, you'll always be with me and always be my BROTHER - Dominic Toretto. RIPPaulWalker
(cj-red)

XTPN
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby XTPN » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:59 am

Lancer1993 wrote:What do you mean a complete tint? Just had my front glass done a month or so ago to match and it looks great. You may need to go darker than legal but the reality is unless youre a dick they wont pull you over for it. Just consider the rears have no UV protection, you could have a very light tint added but depends on where the car is parked most of the day to help protect the interior.

'Complete' as in the front and back tints will be matching, if you get me. So in my case, since I have the privacy glass. My rear and back glasses are already tinted. Now I want the drivers side and passengers to match too, so I only have to tint 2 glasses. Does anyone know what % the stock privacy glass are? 35%? I'm not sure myself. Also, what are the usual prices for tints?

Thanks for all the responses!

UBJ000
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby UBJ000 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:53 am

I had my VRX 'S front window's tinted to the darkest legal & back windows tinted with UV clear tint to protect Interior as you see lots of lancers with very faded back head rests, I was explained by car tinter that it wouldn't be legal if privacy glass was any darker & privacy glass provides no UV protection, the clear UV has worked because my interior still looks like the day I purchased new

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:07 am

I only had my fronts done and 'slightly' darker than legal not that you would know without a light meter. Apparently the rears are darker than legal (for fronts) in most states. Still not sure if you'd see a big difference with the darkest legal tint.

The clear UV stiff is not actually clean but the lightest tint you can buy so there is virtually no change, I might get that on the back before next summer. Ans since my 09 has never had tint I'll look at getting the interior cleaned and protected properly in a few months when I can afford it. It still looks pretty good so I guess it hasn't spent a lot of days in the full sun.

XTPN
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby XTPN » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:34 pm

Wait I'm really confused. Are the privacy glasses tinted or is that the shade of the glass, hence why no UV protection is provided?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:52 pm

The glass is darker, there is no tint film on the rear side and back window.

XTPN
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby XTPN » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:43 pm

Lancer1993 wrote:The glass is darker, there is no tint film on the rear side and back window.

Dam.. Thanks for clarifying. I did not even know! I guess I'll have to tint all glasses. Don't want them UV damage

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:17 pm

If you look at the edge of the glass you can see the difference.

And again it all depends on how much sun the car gets but you for best long term for the interior UV on the back windows is advised.

But the upside of just doing the front is it's way cheaper, cost me just $100 for the fronts.

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”