***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Do we really need these on our cars?

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Do we really need these on our cars?

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:51 pm

Don't know if there is a similar tread but I saw this online...
http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/07/mase ... t-mirrors/

So do we really need LCD displays to replace mirrors on the outside of our cars?

I'm all for reversing cameras and such displayed on a nice LCD in the middle of your dash but why hang them out side where they can more easily be broken?
Last edited by Lancer1993 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Sanlirra
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Sanlirra » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:13 pm

o.0 Tis a bit silly in my books.... There would be lots of cars 'mirrorless'...LCDless???..... o.0 as they would probably get pinched all the time XD

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:47 pm

What will happen if the LCD will go blank? i suppose you wind the window down, swear a bit and wish you had mirrors, not to mention if you piss someone off and he rips the "mirror" , might looking at big $$$$ to get it replaced.
My point of view, completely useless feature

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:58 pm

Does it come in 1080 HD or 4k?

But I agree but I could see them embedding more info into the mirror like they do with blind spot warnings, numbers to show you how close you are to the next car or lane warning if you stray too close to the other lane or side of the road.

But there is no need for an LCD and camera just to do the same job a mirror already does at a fraction of the price.

Also on the demo one it reminds me of an old TV with huge bevel around the edge so the 'mirror' is relatively small for the space.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:01 pm

Not sure how transparent car pillars would work, maybe some kind of LCD on the inside transferring a video image in real time to fill in the space.

One of the biggest issues with modern cars is bigger and bigger pillars, it's the first thing I noticed going from the CC to CJ. This might be good for the occupants of the car in a crash but creates a big blind spot.

Now stronger material in the future may allow for thinner pillars that are stronger than the steal ones found in most cars today.

r00tc4u53
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby r00tc4u53 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:22 pm

Pillars are thicker mostly to accommodate airbags and the like. It's one thing I don't like about the car, it can block out intersections\corners\people on crossings etc. That and the mirrors on the lancer, both seem to be concave in that everything looks further away than it actually is, couple that with thick pillars and changing lanes becomes a real PITA sometimes.

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:40 pm

The Jaguar system does plan on using LCD panels to fill in the gaps :-)

Internal mirrors work ok (imagine them sitting above the front air vents), but most design rules require an actual mirror, so the rule would need to be rewritten in most major markets to enable a roll-out.

Yep, thicker pillars are a pita, but until I can afford a McLaren F1 I'm gonna hafta put up with it! :-P
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:42 pm

I like the concave mirrors, better that most Nissans I have driven with normal mirrors, you suddenly realize how small they are as you can't see as much behind.

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”