***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

I have a question...

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:09 pm

Lol, ive had my car 1 year since july 31st =)
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

LAOS
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby LAOS » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:31 pm

I've got a question......

I go on holiday and my car will be sitting in the garage for 8 weeks not being used. What should I do to it before I go?

For example leave it in gear with the handbrake off so it doesn't seize? Or does that not happen with modern day cars?

Anyone have any recommendations or should it be OK to just leave it as is?

Cheers!
2008 red VRX sedan rear spoiler side skirt and front bumper accent trims rockford fosgate/sunroof package

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:35 pm

I think disconnecting the negitive from the battery is the best way to go when leaving the car off for a long time. Although, removing the negitive from the battery for a long time, you can still end up with a flat battery ive heard. Dont know how or if its true but yeah.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:36 pm

Ideally if you could have someone start it once a week and leave it running for 10 mins it would be good. If they could take it a drive around the block even better!!

I dont think you would have any issues with it seizing especially with a newer car, but chances are it will have a flat battery when you get back!!

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:41 pm

Yeassss no body likes a flat battery.

I had that problem when i first got my stereo. I was so in love with it i blasted it for like an hour with the subs on full, not thinking, oh crap, this will drain my battery.

Go to start the car the next day. Nothing happening, the alarm is like tooting and dieing at the same time because it thinks someone has disconnected my battery and that someone is trying to steal it. Had to get RACV out to juice my battery again lol

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:43 pm

8 weeks shouldnt worry it too much
As Lzy_eye suggested start it once a week and maybe a quick run and it will be fine
Worst case connect a trickle charger to the battery
Car will be ok
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

LAOS
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby LAOS » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Cheers for the replies everyone, will ask a friend if they can take it out occasionally as it seems to be the best option....don't want to be stranded at home with a dead car after holiday!!
2008 red VRX sedan rear spoiler side skirt and front bumper accent trims rockford fosgate/sunroof package

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:43 pm

Worst come to worst, it should have roadside assistance :) They will come jump start it for you!!

LAOS
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby LAOS » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:50 pm

True yes, make the most of that Diamond Advantage

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:06 pm

I did when I got a flat and realised I had none of my tools in the car... well the only tool in the car was me :P

Just make sure there is plenty of water in the battery before you go, and chances are it won't go flat, but if your friend pops in and turns it over you will be sweet!!

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:16 am

Ancient thread :shock:
But ok, some simple questions, when I turn my key to ON (whether I continue and start or not) the car briefly makes a fast ticking sound from somewhere in-front of me. Wondering what it is?

And today when I put my handbrake on after parking, it 'let go'. Ie it dropped down most of the way, making a noise quite similar to gears crunching, or a rip-cord scraping (poor descriptions :P). Should I be worried? It still worked fine afterwards.
I usually give it a strong yank up when I park because a previous car had a horrid HB, and its a habit from parking on a hill driveway, but I'm not strong either. Perhaps I shouldn't apply it so hard?
Might have a mess around on my driveway with how far I have to pull it.

Silly questions but knowledge is golden :D

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:56 am

The ticking is normal. I can't remember exactly what it is but it Is part of the self checks.

The handbrake should go around 6-8 clicks. I would say that the button did not quite engage and therefore it released. Keep a close eye on it and take it to your dealer if there are issues.

bd-850
Alumni
Alumni

Postby bd-850 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:19 am

yeah the clicks are normal (dont know why) i had the handbrake problem one in my commodore, but i have the habbit of holding the button down while i lift it up, just one of those stupid things people do :P

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:21 am

Yeah clicks are normal... Can tell you when the ECU has crashed the clicks don't stop after 3 or 4, they tick constantly ;)

I hold the handbrake button in when raising also, avoids the horrible ratchet sound which I can't stand.

ofey
Alumni
Alumni

Postby ofey » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:51 am

The whole intention of this thread as I said when I started it was for people to post isolated questions they had. Look around the site we're filled with an insane amount of "orphan" threads. So information is harder to find. As a result we have more question threads coming on. Kind of like a vicious circle.
Beeble tooned MY08 OEd. w/ RA BKit+SWheel
Cosworth Panel Filter w/ RA Intake | SuperCircuit 4-2-1 Headers | Creat’d Ti-tipped SS exhaust
BC BR-type Coilovers | UR + Whiteline Bars
EBC GreenStuff Pads | RDA Rotors

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”