***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

New to the Quarter mile - Help

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Mits
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

New to the Quarter mile - Help

Postby Mits » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Hey everyone,

So I am attending the RACE-A-MATE night out at Ipswich soon and it's my first time taking my 2011 lancer sx down the quarter.

This may sound really simple to most but as it's my first time and going to be a huge learning curve it would be great to get a few helpful tips. So.. Anything that everyone here recommends for making the most out of taking a fwd na lancer down the quarter?

Thanks all :)

Sean

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:13 pm

drive it like u stole it :P
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

Zaphod
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Zaphod » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:46 pm

Drive it like you stole it and the ruthless criminal gang you stole it from have just spotted you...

(the Lancers are pretty hard to break... just have fun)

:-D
"The Human species has now evolved to the point where we only have two natural predators; ourselves and peanuts..."

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:41 am

Don't back off until you hit something
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

rokpapaziz
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby rokpapaziz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:17 am

Test n tune.
There are 5 lights before the green light(s). The first 2 are staging lights (amber colour) The first light comes on when you are at the start line. Then you move 7 inches forward to set the second staging light. This tells your opponent you are ready.

You have to wait until your opponent also triggers the second staging light to trigger the count down lights (yellow). They turn on in .5 sec increments before the green light. Basically 3-2-1 go.

Take off on the last yellow light (before the green light) If you leave too early you will get a red light and you will instantly lose.

The Race a mate format also includes "drop flag" racing. Which I think is a Pro start. That's when the 3 yellow lights go on at the same time then green (stage - 1-go)

That's a basic guide. Different cars launch in different ways. In my car if I use launch control I have to start my launch directly after the staging lights in order to leave on green.

Ideally you want to have the shortest reaction time you can get. Which is the time between the green light and when you trigger the timing beam (crossing the start line)

The finish line is at the yellow lights AFTER the timing boards so don't slow down until you pass them. You will want to brake immediately in the slow down lane (about 300 metres) after crossing the finish so you can make the left hand U turn to go back to the pits. Obviously if you're in the right hand lane you want to be aware of the car in the left lane before you make the U turn.

Mits
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Mits » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:02 am

rokpapaziz wrote:Test n tune. There are 5 lights before the green light(s). The first 2 are staging lights (amber colour) The first light comes on when you are at the start line. Then you move 7 inches forward to set the second staging light. This tells your opponent you are ready. You have to wait until your opponent also triggers the second staging light to trigger the count down lights (yellow). They turn on in .5 sec increments before the green light. Basically 3-2-1 go. Take off on the last yellow light (before the green light) If you leave too early you will get a red light and you will instantly lose. The Race a mate format also includes drop flag racing. Which I think is a Pro start. Thats when the 3 yellow lights go on at the same time then green (stage - 1-go) Thats a basic guide. Different cars launch in different ways. In my car if I use launch control I have to start my launch directly after the staging lights in order to leave on green. Ideally you want to have the shortest reaction time you can get. Which is the time between the green light and when you trigger the timing beam (crossing the start line) The finish line is at the yellow lights AFTER the timing boards so dont slow down until you pass them. You will want to brake immediately in the slow down lane (about 300 metres) after crossing the finish so you can make the left hand U turn to go back to the pits. Obviously if youre in the right hand lane you want to be aware of the car in the left lane before you make the U turn.

Thanks so much Marcus, This has answered up a lot of my questions!

SEB15
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby SEB15 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:59 am

My recommendation is to not launch at the first attempt. Just hold the brake and go WOT at the green light. After you get a bit confident with your car down the strip you can start to learn how to launch.
Also if you're interested in times only you can stay at the "Christmas tree" as long as you want, your time will start as soon as the car moves. If you want to race the other car you need to pay attention to the lights
Hope this helps :D

Mits
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Mits » Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:28 pm

SEB15 wrote:My recommendation is to not launch at the first attempt. Just hold the brake and go WOT at the green light. After you get a bit confident with your car down the strip you can start to learn how to launch. Also if youre interested in times only you can stay at the Christmas tree as long as you want, your time will start as soon as the car moves. If you want to race the other car you need to pay attention to the lights Hope this helps :D

Awesome! Thanks Seb :) will give it a go!

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”