***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

2015 Mitsubishi Lancers

Everything Lancer Related + News & Current Affairs.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

greywolfe
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby greywolfe » Mon May 04, 2015 10:22 pm

The CJ interior should have been updated mid life. It's just dated even compared to the previous model mazda3

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:14 pm

I agree, was a little disappointed with my VRX when I got it used, the interior felt cheaper than my 15 years older CC coupe. The hard plastics on the doors and dash.

But on the bright side for anyone buying a used CJ it leaves a lot of room to modify and upgrade the trim.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Seffy
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Seffy » Tue May 05, 2015 10:41 pm

greywolfe wrote:The CJ interior should have been updated mid life. Its just dated even compared to the previous model mazda3

Not gonna lie, the current Mazda 3 interior looks luxurious as hell compared to the CJ Lancer interior.
Crayon Pop "straight-five engine" dance ftw.

anghel132
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby anghel132 » Wed May 06, 2015 8:07 am

Seffy wrote:[quote:84e9f688c6=greywolfe]The CJ interior should have been updated mid life. Its just dated even compared to the previous model mazda3[/quote:84e9f688c6] Not gonna lie, the current Mazda 3 interior looks luxurious as hell compared to the CJ Lancer interior.

Even with the leather trim? :D

Seffy
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Seffy » Thu May 07, 2015 11:04 am

anghel132 wrote:Even with the leather trim? :D

Maybe. I've not seen enough leather interior Lancers though so I don't really remember how they're like.

It's just the whole "cheap" feel you get really with the other stuff in the car. The current gen Mazda 3's interior even on a base model doesn't feel cheap to me, and comes with more fun stuff and a six speed manual.
Crayon Pop "straight-five engine" dance ftw.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Thu May 07, 2015 11:57 am

Yeah how hard would it have been for them to put in a 6 speed at some point?

Then again it took them until this year to add folding mirrors with indicators!

There is a lot that Mitsubishi could have done inside and out to update the CJ more over the years without costing a fortune or needing a new body shell. New bonnet, fenders and bumper could give the car a new look along with new rear tail lights and bumper. Maybe a different wing or boot lid?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri May 08, 2015 1:33 pm

Was down at the dealer to check on a air vent issue (not covered under their used car warranty) anyway while there I noticed a CJ with a carbon wrapped bonnet, took a closer look and spoke to a sales guy. It is a new RA which has had it's bonnet and mirrors wrapped and not very good. Rough edges around the mirrors and the main scoop on the bonnet, I would not be happy buying this new and quite expensive car with a crap CF wrap job.

Anyone else seen them do something like this at dealers before?

greywolfe
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby greywolfe » Fri May 08, 2015 2:02 pm

anghel132 wrote:[quote:1482fe6ff9=Seffy][quote:84e9f688c6=greywolfe]The CJ interior should have been updated mid life. Its just dated even compared to the previous model mazda3[/quote:84e9f688c6] Not gonna lie, the current Mazda 3 interior looks luxurious as hell compared to the CJ Lancer interior.[/quote:1482fe6ff9] Even with the leather trim? :D

Mate I've come from a Mazda3 SP25 with leather. The interior quality was miles ahead of the CJ and the bose sound system worked flawlessly, especially the bluetooth streaming. BT streaming is my major bugbear of the RF system in the CJ.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:26 pm

Why couldn't Mitsy redesign the front, there are some after market designs out there which look pretty good and refresh the front end look.

Like this one on eBay
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/331304472657

Lofty
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Lofty » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:43 pm

I just ordered a new 2015 ES Sport - Platinum with CVT - so I can add my thoughts.

Not gonna lie, the interior is pretty spartan and a bit 'hmmm' at first. But ... the price and warranty are what sells it, and the features are all there (Bluetooth, 7 airbags, 5 star ANCAP, etc) ... its just not 'prettied up'.

We paid just a bit over $19k for ours, with CVT and the $500 rear sensors, in metallic. Corolla, Mazda3 etc are at least $23000 in similar trim - you're looking at a $3500-$4000 (20% more!) difference even without spending the $1500 to get a 5 year warranty from Toyota or Mazda ... and they are a little smaller in size. The Lancer is actually closer to a VW Jetta in size, which is considered a 'medium' car.

Actually, speaking of awful interiors, the interior of the new Corolla is pretty mehl, that huge gloss black piece of trim around the radio looks tacky-as ...

The Lancer is just that bit bigger and has the better warranty. You're basically paying Yaris/Mazda2 money for a bigger car and that's what sells it.

For us, the Lancer is a family runabout for my wife to haul our two kids to school, to swimming and then for her to drive to and from work. The hard plastics works in our favour for that (kids!). So faced with either a Mazda2, Yaris or Lancer ... we opted for Lancer because of metal for money.

jackguo
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby jackguo » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:46 pm

Lofty wrote:I just ordered a new 2015 ES Sport - Platinum with CVT - so I can add my thoughts. Not gonna lie, the interior is pretty spartan and a bit hmmm at first. But ... the price and warranty are what sells it, and the features are all there (Bluetooth, 7 airbags, 5 star ANCAP, etc) ... its just not prettied up. We paid just a bit over $19k for ours, with CVT and the $500 rear sensors, in metallic. Corolla, Mazda3 etc are at least $23000 in similar trim - youre looking at a $3500-$4000 (20% more!) difference even without spending the $1500 to get a 5 year warranty from Toyota or Mazda ... and they are a little smaller in size. The Lancer is actually closer to a VW Jetta in size, which is considered a medium car. Actually, speaking of awful interiors, the interior of the new Corolla is pretty mehl, that huge gloss black piece of trim around the radio looks tacky-as ... The Lancer is just that bit bigger and has the better warranty. Youre basically paying Yaris/Mazda2 money for a bigger car and thats what sells it. For us, the Lancer is a family runabout for my wife to haul our two kids to school, to swimming and then for her to drive to and from work. The hard plastics works in our favour for that (kids!). So faced with either a Mazda2, Yaris or Lancer ... we opted for Lancer because of metal for money.

agree 100%
Mitsubishi Evo X GSR

powermad
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby powermad » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:27 am

Lofty wrote:... Corolla, Mazda3 etc are at least $23000 in similar trim - youre looking at a $3500-$4000 (20% more!) difference even without spending the $1500 to get a 5 year warranty from Toyota or Mazda ... and they are a little smaller in size ... The Lancer is just that bit bigger and has the better warranty. Youre basically paying Yaris/Mazda2 money for a bigger car and thats what sells it. ... we opted for Lancer because of metal for money.

Agree Dion. I see posts on other sites (Whirlpool a prime example) where people ask why would anyone pay top dollar for a 2015 Lancer? Well that's the point, you don't have to pay top dollar when compared to the competition!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:41 am

Right now I don't see why anyone would buy a new CJ when you can get one a few years old and save $1000s of the new price, my 5yo CJ cost me half the equivalent new model and at the most I don't have a few toys like heated seats and indicators on the mirrors. Yes it's not perfect but it's now ripe for mods which I'd be reluctant to do on a brand new car.

This is probably the reason you can get $1000s of the list price when buying new so it's a win all round for Lancer owners... unless you're trying to sell then you're probably out of luck LOL

powermad
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby powermad » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:37 am

Well new vs used is a different discussion I guess. Nearly all 5 year old cars will be half their new price. Even the 'best' performers in this regard are only 55%-60% of their new price after 5 years. There are plenty of reasons people buy new ...

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:06 pm

I agree and if you can buy new then good on you, keeps the used prices down for the rest of us. I'm just saying with how old the CJ is if you can find a good low milage used CJ from a dealer then you might be better off with that. Mine came with a 6 year warranty, I know it doesn't cover as much as for a new car but it's some piece of mind.

I know it's unlikely but I do hope Mitsy does do something it bring us a all new Lancer in the next few years. Even if they go back to a smaller over all car to compete with others in the market from Ford, Toyota and Mazda.

Return to “ClubCJ Talk”